windows 7 beta 7000

Discussion in 'Windows' started by aphrony, Dec 28, 2008.

1. aphrony

aphrony

so i heard a day or two ago, beta 7000 was leaked into the torrents. I've read a little bit about it and found it pretty interesting. sorry if this was posted already, but i looked around and the only post about it was from someone who just said it was realeased, but had not yet tried it. thinking of partitioning my system to install it, cause i heard it was pretty good, but for the most part i just wanted to update the news =b. the beta should be good until july 1, 2009 so enjoy! ^.^y

aphrony, Dec 28, 2008
  2. aphrony

t33r3x

im going to try it tonight.

t33r3x, Dec 28, 2008
  3. aphrony

gnubeard

The expiry on the beta version can be disabled in a number of ways. The way that I like is to use TimerNuke. Some torrents of pre-7000 betas have TimerNuke ready-to-go in the installation for you, otherwise you can find it separately in any of the usual dark corners.

I'm about half-way done getting the new beta, so I'll have a report for the AAO soon. I don't expect there to be much to report, though: everything seems to work on my 6956 build. I didn't check SD cards, though. I did successfully install a USB wifi driver meant for WinXP, so there is at least a reasonable gimmer of hope that existing drivers will work if you have add-on hardware.

Win7 on the AAO seems to be just about as fast as WinXP. This is a good sign.

gnubeard, Dec 28, 2008
  4. aphrony

t33r3x

my machine is 1.5gb aao-150, 120gb hdd.

i installed it. i don't hate it, so i think i will keep it.

i used daemon tools to mount the image and it installed fine.

everything seems to work. speed wise, it appeared a little slower than tiny vista v2. but i don't know for sure, its good enough.

i like google chrome browser too much, so i don't think i will be using ie8.

i can't get a1 fan control v0.4 to work yet.
    will be interesting to see if there is any change in heat generation with this os.

t33r3x, Dec 28, 2008
  5. aphrony

aphrony

wait, so did you use it to install over your primary os? i guess the only reason why i wanted to install it over another partition was because of the july 1st thing, but thanks to gnubread thats not a factor anymore...cool! thankies! =)

aphrony, Dec 28, 2008
  6. aphrony

Stu

All installed here. Slipstreamed in the WIFI driver via Vlite and all went straight on.

Still on 512Mb RAM until the extra gig arrives tomorrow so I will see how much of a difference that makes. Will also stick in a Class 6 8Gb SD card in as ready boost when that arrives as well.

Stu, Dec 28, 2008
  7. aphrony

t33r3x

no.

i had two partitions, one with the original xp and one with tiny vista v2.

i ran daemon tools from within vista. i wanted to install it over the xp partition, but accidentally installed it over the vista partition. vista was working great, i much preferred it over xp.

oh well, win-7 seems to be working fine anyway.

let us know how that goes.

t33r3x, Dec 29, 2008
  8. aphrony

aphrony

cool, i just installed it on my main laptop (sony vgn-cr320e)and i really like it. took a while to update that rating thing but other then that it runs pretty fast. only thing is my card reader didn't work on windows 7 =/ but wifi and stuff works =).

sorry its not AAO related, but i think i'll install it on my AAo in a bit.

aphrony, Dec 29, 2008
  9. aphrony

aphrony

cool, i got a copy, and i was reading around and a comment said that you should try to do the timernuke thing after you install all your updates. well i don't really know, but here is the comment

kk off to install on my AAO =)

aphrony, Dec 29, 2008
  10. aphrony

acifuentes

I have tested W7-B7000 on my AAO. The only drivers that I need to install was for the card reader (even without the drivers, the card readers works for SD and SDHC).

For the wifi, I just need to reboot, and the second time W7 boot, recognized the card.

Regards,
    Alejandro.

acifuentes, Dec 29, 2008
  11. aphrony

cdmoore74

This install of windows 7 beta 7000 is running pretty good with everything recognized in device manager. Like the person above, you just need to reboot and the wifi is installed. Had to install the vista touchpad and card reader drivers. I'm pretty surprised at how responsive it feels out the box without any tweaking. It actually feels faster than my xp pro install and makes vista look and feel horrible. Now this is only with one hour of playtime but I think Microsoft might have a hit on their hands. (can't wait to load it up on my watercooled quad core with raid :D ) By the way I have 1.5gb of memory and a 320gb 7200 rpm harddrive installed.

Just noticed that my wifi switch does not light up but it will turn on/off the card.

cdmoore74, Dec 30, 2008
  12. aphrony

AlanJC

This build is incredible on the 8gb SSD model, as it's optimised for SSD use, so there are far less writes going on. Overall this makes it far faster than XP as a standard install, but you do lose way more space to it.

WiFi now fixed for me with the thinkpad driver posted before, and the LED works too. Just need to install the Synaptic driver for touchpad scrolling.

I'm impressed that all of the function buttons work too :)

AlanJC, Dec 30, 2008
  13. aphrony

Limech

Installed it last night from a USB key and it works great.
    Made a new partition for it so I can dual boot with XP.

All seems to work except camera which I haven't tried yet.

Limech, Dec 31, 2008
  14. aphrony

DynaMight

Just installed this too. Have problems with the wifi driver, used those IBM Thinkpad ones which worked fine, however when I reboot it forgets the drivers again but if I restart again they will work fine. I have tried other drivers and always the same. It doesnt like copying large files across the network either. Everything else seems ok, most of the programs I would have installed run fine and it's quite nippy.

It's a good start, I think it'll get a lot better when the RTM is done (and so will the drivers) I think Win7 will certainly be installed on the Acer and my main PC.

DynaMight, Dec 31, 2008
  15. aphrony

themediaman

I installed it last night. The hardest part was getting it on a bootable USB drive. My USB drive is 40 GB and the HP USB boot utility kept balking at creating a FAT32 partition over 32 GB. Even though I created a 20 GB partition, it would try to repartition the full drive and would subsequently fail trying to create a 40 GB FAT32 drive. In the end I used UltraISO and got a bootable, 20GB partition imaged from the Windows 7 ISO.

Once I got the install running, it was a cinch. The only hiccup being the missing wifi driver on first-boot. As with everyone else, rebooting kicked it in.

It also connected with my Windows Home Server and backed up. A little annoying when I browse the network, because the server shows up three times; 1) as a computer, 2) as a Windows Media Server, and 3) as a web server. I haven't had many issues transferring files over the network, but I haven't tried that out much. However, it is a vast improvement over Vista which could inexplicably take over a minute to transfer a 2 MB file.

I'm running on a 120 GB hard drive, with only 512 MB of RAM, and Windows 7 works great! I may install another gig just to make sure everything continues to run smoothly, but the only problem with RAM that I've encountered was in running Windows Media Centre. Running and configuring it slowed the machine down to a very pathetic (Vista-like) crawl. My best guess would be that it's related to the lack of RAM. Other than that one program, I've not had one issue.

I've opted for Google Chrome over MSIE or Firefox. FF I've found just moves too slowly in spite of having many fancy plugins. Others may have a different opinion, but this is what I've found works best. Chrome starts and loads up three or four pages in the same amount of time it takes FF just to open on my desktop. I'm happy to be rid of it from my Linpus days.

Final thing I'll say is that the video out is sharp, but can't seem to do any widescreen resolutions, just 4x3. This is something that could be easily fixed once the AAO gets official support for Windows 7.

Once they have a final build, I'm definitely picking it up for the AAO.

themediaman, Dec 31, 2008
  16. aphrony

aphrony

these are my numbers; AAO 160gb HD 1gb ram windows 7 installed on a 40 gig partition

[​IMG]

aphrony, Jan 1, 2009
  17. aphrony

karu11

Here's what i Got after installing it. I played a little with my psx emulator and its running smooth playing Final Fantasy 9. nintendo DS runs smoother than it was in XP but still laggy on Pokemon Diamond(not the battles but walking around). As for formal PC games, have not tested yet. AAO stats in the sig

[​IMG]

karu11, Jan 1, 2009
  18. aphrony

aphrony

lol I was like omg how does his hard drive get such a good score?? Then I looked at your siggie and saw the 320 7200rpm hd...it's on my to list....now...

aphrony, Jan 1, 2009
  19. aphrony

jrenascimento

Good evening friends. I upgraded the BIOS for the 3309 and 3308, but had problems. When I try to boot my aspire one, the Windos 7 begins to load, but the machine turns off. It happens mainly when I use the battery. I changed the BIOS back to 3307 and apparently the problem was resolved.

jrenascimento, Jan 1, 2009
  20. aphrony

karu11

lol yea, i had to!

karu11, Jan 1, 2009
Ask a Question