Windows 2000 SP4 installation..fail!

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Zelus, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Zelus

Zelus

Well, I got hold of a AA1 (Linpus, 8gb SSD) and have tried installing Windows 2000 SP4, which I know installs ok on an Eee Pc 4g.
    Won't install! I've turned off D2D in the BIOS, set it so the USB DVDRW drive boots first, to load my Windows 2000 SP4 CD. Everything goes fine, the blue text mode based installer loads ok, it loads up all the drivers off the CD, it then says "Setup is starting Windows 2000" and.......nothing. It just stops dead, no warning messages, it just goes to sleep, stuck on that screen. The processor fan is still going though, so perhaps it's stuck in some sort of loop. Weird.

Hmmm, any ideas what might be the problem? Getting stuck recognizing the SSD perhaps, or the graphics? Or perhaps some BIOS setting I should change?

Guess I'll have to get XP or stick with a flavour of Linux if I can't get past this.

Anyone got any ideas how to solve this, or had a similar problem with an XP installation? Thanks in advance

Zelus, Sep 4, 2008
  2. Zelus

melhiore

Are you sure CD ROM is OK?? Is this CD bootable on other machines??

melhiore, Sep 4, 2008
  3. Zelus

goofball

I had this same problem with an Intel setup, core 2 duo e6400, intel 945 based board, and Win2k SP4. Never did find out if it was the board, cpu, or something else causing this problem. I tried with all sorts of different bios settings for the hard disk, disabling one of the cores, nothing worked.

goofball, Sep 5, 2008
  4. Zelus

howdy

Not sure I am the first one in this forum to install windows 2000 on AAO or not? My suggestion is not worth to run window 2k on AAO.

I had the same problem during the installation. I tried to slipsleam SATA driver into windows 2000 Sp4 installation disk. nlite never worked on my windows 2000 disc. I had to follow few online instructions to add SATA driver manually. But I still got the same problem during the same stage. I checked hard drive controller setting from my Windows XP installation. The SATA controller is setted to PATA mode (27C4). So theoretically no need for SATA driver. I guess the installation program of Windows 2000 is too old.

My final solution is to install windows 2000 on a similar configuration machine. This can be done with a Virtual machine. I used VirtualBox, a free software. The installation was very smooth. Then I installed the chipset driver for AspireOne although the driver is not designed for this virtual pc, and shutdown the virtual pc. Then I backup whole virtual hard drive image with partimage on SystemRescueDisk and dumped it to AA1's SSD. When windows 2k rebooted, it graduately recognized the chipset.

The bad news is the performance of windows 2k on AA1. I expected much smoother performance from windows 2k because it runs well on much older machines. But frankly, there no big improvement over Windows XP. Also, webcam doesn't work with Acer's driver. Wi-fi always shows the cable is unpluged? Unlike windows xp, which turns system to sleep mode when the lid is closed, windows 2k only turns off LED.

howdy, Sep 5, 2008
Ask a Question