Windows 2000 on 8Gb SSD

Discussion in 'Windows' started by BrianHill, Oct 10, 2008.

1. BrianHill

BrianHill

Has anyone managed to install Win 2K instead of Linpus?
    I tried, but after loading files, Win 2K stuck at "Loading Windows" for an hour.. So, I thought, wrong format drive, maybe - Win 2K didn't give me the option to format; so I used Win XP Home, to reformat the drive and then Windows ran on and on and installed... OOOPs' I wanted my Legal, small, quaint, Win 2K SP4...

So temporarily I'm illegal... as Win Xp belongs to my desktop.. Any clues, Guys and Gals??

Is it a Bios thing...

Brian.

BrianHill, Oct 10, 2008
  2. BrianHill

melhiore

I would suggest installing Win2k from external CD/DVD reade3r if you can borrow one. Have you considered drivers problem as well?? What about them - will all the stuff work under Win2k??

melhiore, Oct 10, 2008
  3. BrianHill

BrianHill

I have a super, little, 'slimline'; DVD/CD burner which I used to install programs...

XP installed O.K. - as I said, by mistake, but what the heck... :oops: It is so slow! even having nLited most of the junk out.. (I slipstreamed SP3 and burned to disk, so I don't have to go through the usual rigmarole next time i re install XP on my desktop) so I reverted to Plan A :lol: - install Win 2000; but it still wouldn't get past 'Starting Windows' - after only downloading necessary files... :evil:

So I put my XP disk back in the external CD, and here I am, running an illegal copy of WIN XP - [I've ordered a legal CD from my favourite online store] :D Theres a 2 - 3 sec gap after doing anything, before I can do something else... sooooo slooooow ! :eek:
    That's why \i want to go back(?) to a smaller, faster O.S. - Win 2000

Regarding drivers; there is a Win2000 driver in the LAN driver folder, so I hope there's equivalents in others... XP loaded without hassle (WEBCAM worked 'out of the box' though I needed to install the WiFi drivers from ACER - already downloaded from this site...)
    Brian.
    To those wanting to change to WINDOWS... the drivers are all on the Home page of this website (not the forum page) webcam won't install if its the wrong driver, just use the other one (i did install it to see if I got better functionality - but Win Xp seems the same!) Install sound and Launcher drivers LAST!

BrianHill, Oct 11, 2008
  4. BrianHill

melhiore

I like win2k and I have brand new, unopened copy of this system. I'll give it a try - if everything will work I can test it - I'm worry about system security only - win2k still receiving security updates from M$.. :)

melhiore, Oct 11, 2008
  5. BrianHill

Tamrac

Win2k is ok I guess, if you can get it to install correctly.... but my only gripe that win2k is so darn slow..... I'd stick to XP home for the AAO.

Tamrac, Oct 11, 2008
  6. BrianHill

melhiore

Possible. But as I mentioned before I'll give it a try. I remember Win2k always was taking less on HDD, less memory and I've been running this system on all possible crappy machines... For the Netbook system it should be perfect - obviously if I can install and run it... :)

melhiore, Oct 11, 2008
  7. BrianHill

BrianHill

Click on webpage..... wait 7 to 8 seconds before the scroll bar becomes operative... :geek:

Click on My computer and wait.... another 7 to 8 seconds before the dialogue box opens.... then click on 'C:' drive and have to wait ANOTHER 7 to 8 seconds before being able to carry out an action... I think not!! :(

Prefetch is off, as recommended elsewhere; I tried with and without the Paging file...
    Linpus Lite sucks for everything except Browsing IMO. but Win XP /Win 2000 have the potential to be G-R-E-A-T :roll:

Brian

BrianHill, Oct 11, 2008
  8. BrianHill

BrianHill

I knew I was 'pre-loaded' to install Win 2000 - but I hadn't been able to find again, until just a couple of minutes ago...

This is where I 'got the idea' that Win 2000 would install...
    viewtopic.php?f=26&t=696

Pls note, Win 2000 needs SP4.. so it says...

I shall make an Image of my current Win Xp just in case - it's taken 3 days (between slaving away for She Who Must Be Obeyed(!)) - then I'll try nLite to bring Win 2000 up to SP4 and see how I get on...

Gr33ts to all....

Brian

BrianHill, Oct 11, 2008
  9. BrianHill

BrianHill

Well, Melhiore, any progress?

I've given up.. for now;
    Slipstreamed SP 4; both without and with Aspire 1 drivers but still it hangs RIGHT after loading files - at "Starting Windows"...

When I came to put Xp back on the SSD, I discovered that neither Acronis True Image V.8 nor version 10; (!) can "see" the SSD, so my image of the win XP SP3 install complete with Office and all my favourite tools was a waste of time and I'm having to re-install Win XP as I type (on the bench, next to me) - another 3 days?????

Still, it has passed the week-end... How I'm looking forward to going back to work, NOT :roll:

Brian. :geek:

BrianHill, Oct 12, 2008
  10. BrianHill

Tamrac

That's strange, my acronis true image can detect the SSD.

Tamrac, Oct 12, 2008
  11. BrianHill

melhiore

Did not tried yet but I have ZIF HDD. It is detected w/o any problems... All I did was just putting CD to my external CD/DVD and booting this via USB - was OK here...

melhiore, Oct 12, 2008
  12. BrianHill

BrianHill

Kumusta ka, Tamrac,

It's true that TrueImage can see - AND make an Image FROM an SSD it will even recover the image to an external HDD...
    BUT, when trying to RESTORE to the SSD; it advises me... "No bootable devices present"

I rest my case... ;)

I've contacted Paragon (Drive copy 9 has been offered to me at a massive discount as I am a regular user of Paragon products), my query is - will my SSD be recognised when trying to recover an image, when using Drive Copy 9

I wait the answer.

Brian.
    I mostly know Pillowpino!
    ang asawa ko is from Bulacan. :roll:

BrianHill, Oct 15, 2008
  13. BrianHill

BrianHill

:D Paragon Drive Backup v9 works... those nice guys n gals at Paragon let me download a trial version to test and YES! it can back up just like True image 8 and 10 but where they will not let me recover my image because they can't find a 'real hdd', Paragon did find it and Recovered over the top of my slightly different original. :D

I had uninstalled True image after making the Paragon Image - when recovering the partition, Trueimage was back - but NOT for long... :lol:

Now I can experiment with USB sticks and Win 2000 to my hearts content, the SLOW, but working, WinXP Image is safe on an external HDD, ready for use.

Wow! Saturday already... to the dungeons and crank up the electrical generators - before dawn I'll create a new netbook... Mwah ha ha !! :roll:

I told you a million times not to exaggerate..
    Brian.

BrianHill, Oct 18, 2008
Ask a Question