Windows 2000 installation from CD

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by anr, Aug 2, 2008.

1. anr

anr

Hi all,

A week ago I bought an aspire one 8GB with linpus. I installed Debian without problems at all on it, as it is my favorite Linux distribution. Unfortunately, due to my job I also need to run some Windows applications, so now, I am trying to install Windows 2000 on it as it looks to me more stable and less resource-hungry than XP.

Since Windows 2000 installer does not detect any mass storage device in my laptop, I downloaded the drivers posted in this web site, and generated a new CD image adding these drivers (Chipset_Intel_v.8.3.0.1018, in readme.txt it is said that W2K is supported) by using nLite. Windows installer did not seem to see these newly added drivers so I put them in a floppy and tried to make the installer find them on the floppy (by pressing F6 at the begining). The problem now is that the file 'oemsetup.txt' is missing on the floppy and I do not know where to get this file nor how to generate it, so now I am completely locked on this.

I would appreciate a lot if someone could give a hint on how to install W2K on my laptop, and besides I offer my help to anyone willing to install Debian on it.

Thanks in advance!

Antonio

anr, Aug 2, 2008
  2. anr

anr

Sorry, I wrote: 'oemsetup.txt' instead of 'txtsetup.oem', which is the right one.

anr, Aug 2, 2008
  3. anr

anr

Just in the event that someone is interested I will give you a report.

I got some drivers from the Intel download center, the

AHCI/RAID Software - Intel® Matrix Storage Manager, 4th option in

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ ... 0&lang=eng

Now, I have a floppy and, after pressing F6, I can load several modules, including two for Mobile ICH7, what I guess is my target. Unfortunately, after loading them, the installer does not seem to handle my device.

anr, Aug 3, 2008
  4. anr

SNOboy

you need sp4 on the win2k install to support the usb cd/dvd drive hope that helps SNO

SNOboy, Aug 17, 2008
  5. anr

faberzinho

can you host a windows 2000 image for us?
    thanks

yuri

faberzinho, Oct 13, 2008
  6. anr

melhiore

Is it legal??

melhiore, Oct 13, 2008
  7. anr

ricisat

can someone help me how to install windows 2000 on my aspire 110,1,5ram 8gb ssd
    thanks alot :roll:

ricisat, Nov 4, 2008
  8. anr

melhiore

Use external CD/DVD reader - that's easiest way... Installation is exactly the same like for normal desktop...

melhiore, Nov 5, 2008
  9. anr

ixmush

I tried to install W2k on my WXP Aspire One using an external USB CD drive.
    After I created an additional partition on my 160gb hard drive I booted from a W2k install CD in the USB CD drive
    The W2k files installed ok to the point where it says: "Setup is starting Windows 2000".
    Thats as far as it gets. It just stalls there.
    I have tried 2 different install CDs and 2 different CD drives. These CDs and drives have worked in other computers.
    I have also tried pressing F5 during setup trying different HALs.
    An XP Pro install CD did not have this problem and installed ok.
    I wiped out XP Home on Drive C in the process and now I can't access the recovery files
    I'd still like to get W2K on the machine so I'd appreciate any suggestions.

ixmush, Nov 10, 2008
  10. anr

blackest_knight

Maybe you could use virtualbox and windows 2000 as a guest it works.
    however driver issues could be a gotcha mostly its ok but i can't find a driver for the webcam
    Btw latest virtualbox is very good better usb device support host networking too so it appears as part of your lan and integrated desktop mode brings windows apps up on your desktop

blackest_knight, Dec 22, 2008
Ask a Question