Windows 10 vs Windows 8 - Which one should I opt for, for my new laptop?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by LaptopGeek, Jul 28, 2016.

1. LaptopGeek

LaptopGeek

I ordered a laptop with Ubuntu for my daily work. However, I am not that happy with the operating system and would like to get windows on my new laptop.

I am currently confused between windows 10 and windows 8.

I know 10 is the latest, but I am reading about a lot of compatibility issues for the 10 version.

Can anyone who has used both of these guide me which one should I opt for?

LaptopGeek, Jul 28, 2016
  2. LaptopGeek

something back

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    something back, Jul 28, 2016
  3. LaptopGeek

Norjak71

Windows 10 all the way. I am still using windows 7 but I have tried but windows 8 and 10 and the latter is superior in most every way. You will also have longer support and newer programs coming out will most likely be exclusively to windows 10 very shortly.

Norjak71, Jul 28, 2016
  4. LaptopGeek

Fuzyon

There are hardly any compatibility issues with Windows 10, companies have noticed that people are migrating from 8 so they started to give more attention to the 10 users. I'd say it's a no-brainer, Windows 10 is the better and most secure option out of the two, I would o for it.

Fuzyon, Jul 31, 2016
  5. LaptopGeek

KimmyMarkks

I would suggest going with Windows 10. Windows 8 is set up like a tablet with icons. You are able to switch it to what looks like a desktop but its not as easy to work off and you can't have all your icons in the desktop mode. I guess its good to have if you are simply using your laptop for fun and games instead of work.

I had 8 for a while and as soon as 10 came out I upgraded, I couldn't wait to get a way from Windows 8

KimmyMarkks, Sep 16, 2016
  6. LaptopGeek

Karen Gordon

I will probably get windows 10 sometime. I am sure there will be a learning curve associated with it. I have win 8.1 now which is not my favorite at all, but since I have metered bandwidth, 10 probably wouldn't work for me at this point. I know there are things you can turn off, but I missed my chance to upgrade for free, so now I think it will wait until I get a new laptop.

Karen Gordon, Sep 18, 2016
  7. LaptopGeek

AntonioCalcano

Go with Windows 10 no doubt, Windows 8 is a total mess, if you're talking about 8.1 that's a little bit better and more stable but having Windows 10 it doesn't make sense going for Windows 8/8.1. Go with 10 and you have the best of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1

AntonioCalcano, Sep 28, 2016
  8. LaptopGeek

Aree Wongwanlee

Do you really get a choice? I went shopping for a new laptop just a few months ago and I couldn't find anything which is not pre-installed with Windows 10. Windows 10 works. I know because I am using it.

Aree Wongwanlee, Sep 28, 2016
  9. LaptopGeek

SirJoe

That is a very good point, all computers come with windows now days and you don't really have a choice, but if you had to choose windows would be the better choice.

SirJoe, Sep 28, 2016
  10. LaptopGeek

cluckeyo

Overall, I like Windows 10, but I don't like the way they handle the Windows updates. They do it on a random schedule. You cannot say, "download at 2:00 am". It will only download when it wants to download. Since I have metered bandwidth with a free bandwidth period in the middle of the night, this is not a good thing.

cluckeyo, Oct 2, 2016
  11. LaptopGeek

Aree Wongwanlee

That's odd. So can't you set it to be updated manually? That way you can update only when you have the free bandwidth period. I am sure there is an option to update manually.

Aree Wongwanlee, Oct 2, 2016
  12. LaptopGeek

Sefie

If you can get Windows 8.1, keep it for as long as possible, you will be fine, trust me. My husband has Windows 10 installed in his laptop and he hasn't stopped regretting it. It's so bad he rarely uses his laptop now.

Sefie, Oct 14, 2016
Ask a Question