Windows 10 spying way worse than thought ....

Discussion in 'Windows' started by GearZ, Feb 11, 2016.

1. GearZ

SirJoe

Windows 10 is just doing what is happening all around us. The idea of complete privacy is something from the past. If you have a smartphone, a facebook page a bank account ... anything really, can be considered an invasion of privacy.
    The only way that your computer won't be able to send information of how you use it, is if you don't connect to the internet.

SirJoe, Mar 14, 2016
  2. GearZ

tommytrant20

I was really disappointed about win 10
    Ads win 10 low configuration requirements when installing low configuration, it runs very slowly

tommytrant20, Mar 15, 2016
  3. GearZ

acer93

I mean of course spying sadly shouldn't be a surprise now, but use common sense. Tape down your webcam and turn off your microphone when not using.

acer93, Mar 16, 2016
  4. GearZ

tommytrant20

but i still do not like marketing product of window

tommytrant20, Mar 22, 2016
  5. GearZ

Fermin420

I had no information on this topic at all, but I knew just for my analysis this was probably the case. The way windows is imposing the use of their new software just gives them away. The problem is most users can't conceive the idea of moving to Linux, and some others like me actually just need certain windows applications for school or work. This is the new regimen I still don't see a way out of it.

Fermin420, Mar 28, 2016
  6. GearZ

UpgradeMe

Funny enough, I'm still on windows 7. The specific reason I never upgraded to 8 when I had the chance was seeing my pops have to plug his phone number in to register...that's when I realized this beast has gone off the rails. Linux for me now, they are asking for too much now and it happened because people gave them that inch and they took the mile.

UpgradeMe, Mar 29, 2016
  7. GearZ

obliviousme

Yeah this is one of the downside of windows 10, huge downside. It's very intrusive and i feel so watched. But what can i do, i need Microsoft's services.

obliviousme, May 11, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  8. GearZ

IBMPC8088

I would suggest virtualizing 10 and using another safer, less-intrusive, and more security-enabled operating system as your main system to run it over. That way you don't have to worry about Windows 10 using hardware it can't see, and you can control things as much as possible with how it works, how it connects, and what it does. If using it for gaming, you might want to dual-partition it with another OS you use for emulation. That way you can still boot a copy of it on the machine itself whenever you want or need to do gaming, but you can use your unix or other host system for emulated windows for everything else. You also get to use the host system selectively for anything you need to do that you don't trust Windows 10 (or any windows) with of your information as a fallback.

IBMPC8088, May 12, 2016
  9. GearZ

psanch

Oh no! This all sounds so scary. I've recently upgraded to Windows 10 and this is not welcome news. Unfortunately for me, I need the latest version of Windows for work so I don't have much of a choice. All this is just strengthening my resolve to go completely offline in a few years! :p;

psanch, May 17, 2016
  10. GearZ

Sealpikachu

Is this a thing with all Windows? I currently use 8 and had no idea. My computer keeps trying to force me to update to 10 though, it will send me messages all day saying it will update without giving me the option not to. I always have to reset as it starts to keep it from happening and have already had to uninstall 10 once when I didn't notice in time.

Sealpikachu, May 17, 2016
  11. GearZ

nytegeek

The bottom line is that most of the privacy issues of Windows 10 exist in Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 as well. Eula's have been updated in all of them and updates that change default privacy behavior have been getting pushed to them since before Windows 10 was even released. If you don't know how to cut through the crap and differentiate between FUD and real privacy issues you aren't any better staying at 7 then you would be at 10. Your information has most certainly already been collected diced up, reorganized and sold off in chunks thousands of times already.

nytegeek, May 18, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  12. GearZ

Lisa Davis

Spying is not alarming to me. Are any of the people here American and have heard the ghastly details about how the government and the NSA spy on us daily? However, I have heard enough other bad things about Windows 10 that I am not willing to upgrade until the version I am using is completely obsolete. Currently, I am using Windows 7 Professional and love it.

Lisa Davis, May 18, 2016
  13. GearZ

IBMPC8088

Part of how the NSA reduces the load on doing so is utilizing all of the people running Windows who willingly give the information away to them without knowing it or doing anything about it to protect themselves, and the rest are giving it away willingly using Facebook and other "free" services like that which are free not only because the ads pay for them, but because your private information and work they obtain and resell or use for themselves does, too.

They've been doing things like this since Windows NT (Windows 95a days), and limitedly with Windows 3.11 / Windows for Workgroups when networking was introduced more easily than running IPX and banyan vines and token ring arrangements to connect systems together in SOHO's and medium-sized offices. They planned it out a long time ago, and have done it ever since. The problem with Windows is that they have done it increasingly ever since, and I thought that it reached a boiling point with Windows 2000 and XP, but apparently it didn't...they set a new level in absurdity with Windows Vista and 7, and then realized there was no contest...so now they are blatant and literally throwing it in the face of the consumers that is over the top and off the charts with Windows 8 and 9 (they insult the user making them not even count correctly with "10").

If you use any of it, they're going to harvest it. They already have, and now there's just nothing to stop them from doing it completely like there was (partially) before.

IBMPC8088, May 18, 2016
  14. GearZ

acheno84

It's no surprise to me that they are watching everything. I mean, who isn't now a days? It's scary, yes, but only if the wrong person is on the spying end. I just recently got forced to upgrade to Windows 10 and I love it, but it's definitely password and account happy and I'm not really ok with that. I don't really see the need to have my Google account linked to unlocking my computer, you know? Cortana is pretty awesome though :)

acheno84, May 22, 2016
Ask a Question