Windows 10 shares your files with the internet... here's how to turn it off

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Sefie, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Sefie

Sefie

Read this article and tell me what you think! Do you think the headline is misleading?

''If you are one of the millions of users who have upgraded to Windows 10, you are likely to be very familiar with the Windows update process. Microsoft updates Windows 10 when it needs to be updated. It's part of Microsoft's master plan and is generally a good thing.

To facilitate efficiency in the Windows 10 update process, Microsoft has created a system it calls, in typical cryptic fashion, Windows Update Delivery Optimization. To put it in simple terms, when Delivery Optimization is on, Windows 10 will send updates from your computer to other computers on your local network or on the internet. That's right, Windows Update Delivery Optimization is a peer-to-peer (P2P) network, which operates similarly toBitTorrent.

Default settings
    Windows Update Delivery Optimization has two settings:

• Setting 1 allows Windows 10 to share files with other computers on your local network only.
    • Setting 2 allows Windows 10 to share files with other computers on your local network and with other computers on the internet.
    Setting 2 is the default for every edition of Windows 10 except Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Education; those editions default to Setting 1.

Windows Update Delivery Optimization is also active for any apps you purchase and download from the Microsoft Store.''

http://www.techrepublic.com/article...s-with-the-internet-heres-how-to-turn-it-off/

Sefie, Oct 28, 2015
  2. Sefie

IcyBC

Darn..when I read thing like this, I am somewhat very happy that I don't have to deal with Window much more. I don't like "share files with other computers on your local network" or anything like that. Giving the fact that I don't have much knowledge with technology, I just prefer simple and straight forward things without having to do this or that.

IcyBC, Oct 31, 2015
  3. Sefie

Sefie

I know :) I am somewhat paranoiac, so when I read this kind of things I also feel so glad i don't have to deal with Windows 10, at least not for now :) I am going to stay with Window 8.1 until the end... of the life of this laptop! :p

Sefie, Oct 31, 2015
  4. Sefie

Ishmael

Thanks for the heads up. I don't know why Microsoft's not warning people about this, instead of us having to find this by accident or word of mouth. Windows 10 should warn you about this feature the instant you start it up after you install it the first time, so you can turn it off if you want.

Ishmael, Oct 31, 2015
Ask a Question