Windows 10 issues

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Lun, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Lun

Lun

I realize it's only been 2 months since its release but it's already giving me a hard time more than a few times. Here's the kind of issues I encountered so far, in order. If you're considering upgrading, I suggest you wait until Microsoft polishes this thing clean. As of now it still feels unfinished in a lot of ways.

- "Critical Error. Start menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll fix this the next time you sign in." and a "sign out now" button is shown on the window. The good thing is that it wasn't very persistent. I 'only' had to re-sign in 4-5 times until it worked, but this is too inconvenient and frustrating to have.

- Search takes too long sometimes, probably an eternity if you just leave it. It works 70% of the time but the rest of the time it just stays like that forever and sits useless.

- Wifi gets disabled out of nowhere for 10 minutes. It happened 3 times now and I don't even know why. Is it a driver issue? Is it my hardware? Is it just Windows 10? My money is on the last considering Wifi worked just fine before W10 and my drivers are always up to date.

- On boot message: "No OS found on the harddrive." I don't remember the exact message but it was something like that. I tried the recovery disk image I made when I first installed the OS, but guess what, it's useless unless you run it from inside the OS itself. I don't know how that makes sense but that's how it works apparently. It bombards you with error messages every time you try something. God, I miss windows 7. It was so easy to use restore points. I don't know how it got fixed but I was just restarting all the time, each time changing boot order in the bios, but then it suddenly worked. But even when it worked, I was greeted by the first error again and had to re-sign in a few more times.

I'm tired of this OS, seriously. It's given me such a hard time in such a short amount of time too. I'm considering going back to Windows 7 on my laptop but keeping Windows 10 on my PC (because of DX12) until next year.

Anyway this was a rant of some sort, but also an advice to people who haven't upgraded yet. Stay away from this mess for a while.

Did any of you receive any frustrating errors from Windows 10 so far?

Lun, Oct 2, 2015
  2. Lun

something back

I have found it quite hard to crash windows 10 however I have “deliberately”

managed to crash it twice, once with a driver, and the other a major crash

that required a systems recovery process to be enacted .

Some thoughts on your problems

Did you obtain them using via media creation tool program

there are faulty modded versions out there.

Have you loaded the correct version 32 bit or 64 bit.

What did you choose to update while retaining you old files, and programs

Did you update all drivers before hand.

You should be able to recover your system using the original unpacked iso.

You could save it too dvd or a flash drive.

Check your hard drive for faulty sectors.

I would start again given all your problems.

something back, Oct 2, 2015
  3. Lun

Lun

I used the media creation tool and just clicked on "upgrade this PC" or something similar. It was all automatic, I did nothing, just waited until it downloaded and told me it was ready to install, I chose to delete all files too. I did choose the correct version, 64-bit, yes. I updated some of my drivers using Windows Update and only the Nvidia graphics card needed manual update from the Geforce Experience interface, as well as the SD Card reader. Just to make sure they're all up to date, I have the HP Assistant software always checking for updates and notifying me.

When it comes to the recovery, I burnt the ISO I got from Microsoft's website (again using the media creation tool) and booted from it on my laptop. I got to the installation window where I clicked on "Repair this computer" and tried various options like "Reset", "Refresh", "System Restore", etc... Nothing worked. They all gave errors. Some told me my HDD was locked, another error told me I needed to open the ISO from inside the OS itself, which like I said, makes no sense. I googled and all I found was topics related to Windows 8 (which goes to show that Windows 10 isn't really that big of an improvement from 8 as they make it to be), I didn't look further to find a solution because the problem fixed itself before I could try anything, but it was a scary experience to say the least.

Right now I'm faced with another issue. When I first installed this OS my boot time jumped from 2 minutes (On W8) to 20 seconds, which was amazing and to be honest an incredible achievement for my laptop considering it boots from a 5400rpm HDD, now it takes 5 minutes for some reason and I'm starting to experience Wifi issues more than before as well. I wouldn't want to start again. If I would, I'd start with a clean install of Windows 7 or 8 instead. I spent a lot of time customizing and optimizing a lot of programs and features on my laptop since I got it. If I'm reinstalling I want to make sure I'm using a completely proven and functional OS instead of one that was released 2 months ago.

Regarding the last part, how do I check for faulty sectors?
    Btw sorry for the wall of text, it just turned out this way lol.

Lun, Oct 4, 2015
  4. Lun

something back

something back, Oct 4, 2015
  5. Lun

hashxc

I to have had some initial trouble with Windows 10. Thankfully I made an image with Macrium Reflect of my Windows 7 install. It was related to a video card on the frits that has intermittent problems on Windows 7, but when it froze, a hard shut down put you back in business. As you well know, with Windows 8 and 10, you better not do a hard shut down to often. I was stuck in the endless loop of the recovery screen trying to avoid a refresh/removal of all my software.

hashxc, Oct 4, 2015
  6. Lun

Lun

Oh, I see. I'll try out both of these programs and see what happens, thanks.

Lun, Oct 4, 2015
  7. Lun

Sefie

My friend hasn't had any kind of issue with Windows 10, she installed it some weeks ago (I'm still having my doubts, so I will wait before I even try it) and so far so good, She doesn't use the computer so much though, so I am not sure if this is a good indicator. She only complained about some programs not working well or at all, but other than that no issues :)

Sefie, Oct 4, 2015
  8. Lun

IcyBC

I haven't upgrade my son's Toshiba to Window 10 yet since I can't make up my mind if it is worth it to get into a mess that I don't know how to solve. The more I read the more confused my mind become. However, there are so many helpful threads in this forum that I have bookmarked for the day when I need them :)

IcyBC, Oct 5, 2015
  9. Lun

hashxc

If/when you take the plunge, MAKE AN IMAGE!! good luck!

hashxc, Oct 5, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  10. Lun

something back

There are a few things to consider before updating to Windows 10.

The first thing is to decide is to either update, and keep your personal files

,or not.

You need to know that quite a lot of programs will not be kept even if you choose

to keep them, however they will be listed in a folder.

Back up your important photos, and files beforehand .

Collect all of your drivers, and if possible you should update them if you are choosing

the update with your personal files, and programs option.

Choose the correct version to update i.e. 64 bit or 32bit

Save the iso file you downloaded from microsoft you will need it in the future.

Make a dvd or flash drive from the iso file, it will act as a system restore program

later.

Download all your anti-virus and anti-malware programs so they are ready.

It's a two hour process.

When finished update windows from within the setting.

All the main things are controlled from the setting section of windows 10.

Some helpful programs

Driver booster will take the strain out of obtaining updated drivers.

http://www.freewarefiles.com/search.php?query=driver+booster&B1.x=0&B1.y=0&boolean=exact

something back, Oct 5, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  11. Lun

IcyBC

Thank you @something back ! This is very helpful for me and I will follow your step by step direction. Hopefully I don't mess up.

IcyBC, Oct 6, 2015
  12. Lun

thess

Good I'm glad I came across this thread. I have been skeptical to upgrade from 8 to 10. I keep hearing different opinions on it. But lately I keep hearing about problems with it. I'll definitely just wait. This just confirmed my suspicions. They should have worked out all the kinks before they offered upgrades. Not sure why they'd do that. Now people are dealing with the headache of the upgrade with its problems.

thess, Nov 4, 2015
Ask a Question