Windows 10 does contain a keylogger

Discussion in 'Windows' started by something back, Sep 4, 2015.

1. something back

something back

something back, Sep 4, 2015
  2. something back

Lun

Good thing this option is greyed out by default on my system. I think it depends on region. Anyhow I kind of trust Microsoft to not use this against us. I know it's stupid to trust a company but still I don't have anything to hide even if they wanted to record everything I write. It is worrying to know that my passwords are recorded though.

Lun, Sep 5, 2015
  3. something back

Sefie

JESUS CHRIST. So it's a fact? Why the heck do they want to even collect voice information?? For reals?? This sounds so sinister! I'm starting to see Microsoft under a totally different light, a very sinister one for sure. No thanks, won't be upgrading.... I might have to use Windows 10 in 5 years when this laptop dies, but not earlier than that. I just don't trust it D: What if they say you can turn it off, but in reality that is just something they use to make you think it's indeed off? Can happen.

Sefie, Sep 5, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  4. something back

Lun

It's needed for Cortana basically. If you won't be using Cortana then you won't need it. Cortana needs this info, they're not just storing it to pry on your info (though that could be something that would help the NSA immensely >_>). Cortana works best depending on how much info you're sharing with it. That's why the option is greyed out on my system, because Cortana isn't available in my region.

Lun, Sep 5, 2015
  5. something back

IcyBC

Whoa..that is criminal to contain key logger in their system! Isn't it illegal and against privacy act? How can they get away with this?

IcyBC, Sep 6, 2015
  6. something back

something back

It's not criminal to have a keylogger on your machine, what is wrong, but not criminal,
    to have one on your machine without your knowledge.

I am sure various governments will finally see this as a larger security threat.

something back, Sep 6, 2015
  7. something back

Lun

Sorry, I don't follow, why would governments see this as a security threat?

Lun, Sep 6, 2015
  8. something back

ryanch94

Perhaps some will, but I'm sure many will see this as an opportunity to keep tabs on citizens (looking at you NSA!)

ryanch94, Sep 11, 2015
  9. something back

nytegeek

FUD. This isn't the same as an actual keylogger. So tired of this one. If this is to qualify as a keylogger everybody has a long list of software and apps to check as well because you will be surprised at how often this type of analytic is used.

nytegeek, Sep 19, 2015
  10. something back

LGNPanda

Microsoft is probably collecting information then selling it the US government. This is one of the main reasons why I'm not planning to upgrade to Windows 10 anytime soon and because it disables any pirated software that you may have on your PC. I'm not quite sure what "disabling" will do to that program and not quite sure whether that will affect your other programs also.

LGNPanda, Sep 28, 2015
  11. something back

nytegeek

This is all unfounded FUD. There is no disabling of pirated software or government reporting.

As for the topic, there is no keylogger. A keylogger isn't something that anonymously analyzes typing behavior to improve spelling and grammar checks. A key-logger is secretively installed malware that records everything you type for somebody else to peruse through and steal data. Big difference.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
    nytegeek, Sep 28, 2015
  12. something back

LGNPanda

Nothing in my comment has said anything about a keylogger? I can guarantee you that Microsoft does infact have some type of FUD file collecting information. Several well known sources back up my comment.
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...o-detect-pirated-games-on-your-windows-10-pc/
    http://www.techradar.com/au/news/so...-delete-pirated-games-from-windows-10-1301994

LGNPanda, Sep 29, 2015
  13. something back

nytegeek

A paranoid interpretation of the EULA by a couple tech blogs isn't the same as a coded practice or function of the operating system. Pirated software is not being disabled by Microsoft or by Windows. As for my comments about the keylogger, that is what the topic is.

nytegeek, Sep 30, 2015
  14. something back

nytegeek

The legality will vary by jurisdiction. Fortunately there isn't actually a keylogger. The feature being misconstrued as a keylogger is a rudimentary anonymous analysis of typing patterns to improve spelling and grammar checking in software. It is easy to switch off if somebody is paranoid.

nytegeek, Sep 30, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  15. something back

IcyBC

That is good to know! I used key logger a decade ago to monitor my teen's computer usage while I was at work. It something that I will never do again since that software virtually just killed my computer if I am not wrong.

IcyBC, Sep 30, 2015
  16. something back

nytegeek

Security and parental control software that logs keystrokes and malware keyloggers have different purposes and different rules. Clandestinely installed malware designed to steal banking info has some obvious legal issues that trying to parent your kids shouldn't. I am not an attorney however and laws are different depending on where you are so best to be cautious.

As for Windows, it doesn't have a key-logger. Certainly not in the malware sense. People are paranoid. They read something a blogger posted about the EULA online and draw wild conclusions about what Windows is doing. They read pseudo-news reports that touch on licensing terms but don't contain any examples, explanations, or evidence of these things happening at a software level. Claims about disabling software, disabling access to torrent sites, and key-loggers being built into Windows should be ignored and possibly ridiculed. I won't be breaking out a tin foil hat anytime soon. Microsoft isn't keeping a secret list of your downloads to sell to anti-piracy groups or law enforcement.

nytegeek, Sep 30, 2015
  17. something back

IcyBC

With so many issues and warning about this and that on Window 10, I am extremely confused since my knowledge with computer is very limited. I can attempt to do some defrag, cleaning out history, and run virus scan, but other than that, I am not very comfortable doing anything else.

I was about to upgrade to Window 10 on my HP laptop, only to find out my hard disk on it has died yesterday when I took it to Office Maxx :(

IcyBC, Oct 1, 2015
  18. something back

nytegeek

Okay so this is what Microsoft had to say about the feature people are erroneously calling a keylogger:

So it is clearly not a keylogger. A keylogger records everything you type and the data is identifiable as yours. The correct term for this is is "Text Analyses Engine" and it has a completely different function then a keylogger does.

nytegeek, Oct 16, 2015
Ask a Question