Window 120GB HDD Model

Discussion in 'Windows' started by shinyo21, Aug 20, 2008.

1. shinyo21

shinyo21

Hi,

I am new and I have ordered one aspire one 120GB Windows XP Model.

I found in this forum, alot people complaining the aspire one in term of speed is very slow, but I am very curious, how slow would be? especially the latest 120GB HDD Window model.

Please, I do need some expert comment, before my aspire reach.

Thanks in advance.

shinyo21, Aug 20, 2008
  2. shinyo21

judeh101

Actually fast enough to use Vista!!! :lol:

judeh101, Aug 20, 2008
  3. shinyo21

DiSK

Vista can be run on anything, almost. It just depends on what you take out. You should know that if you're "super-geeky" shouldn't you?

To the OP: I think what you're referring to are the SSD versions of the AspireOne. SSD stands for Solid-State Drive. While I myself do not know much about SSDs, because I always prefer space to..."shock-resistance", I believe I've read that SSDs' read speeds are faster, but their write speeds are slower than traditional hard drives. And since XP is constantly writing crap all over the drive, the hard drive would be a better choice.

Basically,

SSD:
    Pros:
    - Shock-resistant
    - Fast read speeds
    - Slightly lighter (barely noticeable difference)

Cons:
    - Slower than hard drive in XP
    - Very limited amount of space
    - Last only ~3 - 4 years
    - Replacing them is expensive (this should change in the future, though)

Hard Drive:
    Pros:
    -Fast read/write speeds for XP and Linux
    -Plenty of space
    -Cheap, and easily upgradable
    -AspireOne chassis (or casing) is slightly bigger (kind of a side effect, may prove useful for those who wish to squeeze millions of mods into their AspireOnes. :D )
    -Will last long, if taken care of (I have an old 20GB IDE HDD from 1999, it still works great)

Cons:
    -Not shock-resistant, too large a bump will damage it
    -May use slightly more battery (haven't seen any proof though)
    -May produce more heat (also haven't seen proof)

So, to me, the hard drive is better than the SSD version. However, if you are a professional photographer or something, and go up mountains to take pictures, and want to edit on the spot, an SSD would be the way to go. But I'm not. :D So, I'm going with the HDD.

Hope this helps!

DiSK, Aug 20, 2008
  4. shinyo21

judeh101

Just to say, always becareful with the HDD version, last time, I was taking out my xbox hdd, and dropped it on the ground :shock: but surprisingly, it still work fine after I unlocked it.
    BTW, the hdd I am using now, the 160 gig one, at most peak load, it does go up to 56 degrees celcius, worst of all, this never happened until new reallocated sectors started happening every week. about one or two every week. :x

judeh101, Aug 20, 2008
  5. shinyo21

iDq

Posting from my A1 HDD model, under Windows XP.

- Battery: 2' 15" (aprox.)
    - Heat: no difference (to me)
    - Fan: in contrast, more active (under XP)
    - Speed (under XP): the same than my presHOT based computer (obviously for common tasks).

iDq, Aug 20, 2008
  6. shinyo21

soarbooks

I bought a windows XP unit yesterday and compared its performance side by side with a linux version. The windows version did quite well; it takes around 40-50seconds to boot from its hard disk of 110 Gig or so and has no annoying lag when accomplishing tasks such as opening adobe reader or openoffice writer documents. All in all a satisfactory little machine.

soarbooks, Aug 20, 2008
Ask a Question