Win7, can see my neighbors wireless but not mine??

Discussion in 'Networking' started by NCPictures, Apr 12, 2009.

1. NCPictures

NCPictures

OK I have a dual boot (XP/Win7) 150. While running Win7 the wireless card can see my neighbors access point, but not mine (!!???!!?!?!??!). So it appears that the card is working. The card works fine under XP.

My access point is one of the higher channels. Wonder if for some reason Win7 doesnt see the higher channels?

Anyone have any ideas?

NCPictures, Apr 12, 2009
  2. NCPictures

adrianaitken

Probably. Europe allows a larger range than US so if your AAO wifi card is set to US standards and your access point is set to Europe standards *AND* your set the AP to channels above 11 (I think) your AAO won't see it.
    Also, to make sure you don't stuff up your neighbours wifi -ing, change your channel to one that is numerically 3 different (ie if he is 1 you use 4, if he is 2 you use 5 etc). Stuff up is a technical term - basically if you are doing your stuff on a near channel both of you will get interference and get a lower signal strength etc. You will still work but not at 100%

adrianaitken, Apr 14, 2009
  3. NCPictures

ronime

Due to the way that 802.11b/g channels are allocated in the 2.4GHz band (overlapping), for optimum results (minimal interference) you should choose a channel that is 5 channels away from your strongest neighbour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.1 ... patibility

ronime, Apr 14, 2009
  4. NCPictures

JWhipple

Win7 seems to be a bit picky about wireless routers. I found this out on my home desktop PC.

It has a Belkin 802.11g wireless PCI card , which has a Broadcom chipset. In Vista since day 1 I've been using the Microsoft provided Broadcom 802.11 wireless driver without a hitch.

I am running on a Belkin 802.11 pre-n router, which was one of the first Pre-N routers available.

In Windows 7, I got random weirdness from it. Sometimes it would show that I am connected on Wireless, but had access to my internal network only. Other times I couldn't connect at all. Other times I could hit the internet but not the internal network. When I rebooted into Vista I had no problems.

After switching to a Netgear N router, the problems are gone.

JWhipple, Apr 14, 2009
  5. NCPictures

switchblade

I may have missed it, but didn't see anywhere in this thread to check if the SSID was being broadcast or not. It could have been as simple as that? ;)

switchblade, Apr 17, 2009
  6. NCPictures

ronime

ronime, Apr 17, 2009
  7. NCPictures

dattaway

Its all in your wireless driver. The Atheros card can go up to 2.712 GHz, or channel 58.

dattaway, Apr 17, 2009
Ask a Question