Win XP Install Error - Failed To Install Product Catalog

Discussion in 'Windows' started by vaca, Sep 1, 2008.

1. vaca

vaca

Hello,

I've just received my Apire One (preloaded with Linux) and I'm attempting to install Win XP Pro via a USB key as per the instructions I found on these forums (using usb_prep8, etc). Everything worked fine when creating the bootable USB key. I then installed using the Text option after removing all partitions and formatting, everything completed succesfully. Then the GUI install starts and about 5 minutes into it I get the following error:

"Failed To Install Product Catalog"

This was with XP SP2 on a 120GB A1 with 1GB RAM.

I rebuilt the USB key and got the same results the second time around (after re-formatted the A1 drive yet again). I've rebuilt the USB key from a differect XP CD which has SP3 installed with it to see if this makes a difference, but will have to wait until tonight to try it out.

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?
    Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Vaca

vaca, Sep 1, 2008
  2. vaca

goofball

have you tried a different usb key? I did the install from an OCZ rally 2 and a Kingston Data Traveller (XP SP3)

goofball, Sep 1, 2008
  3. vaca

vaca

I'll be doing that tonight. I built XP SP3 on a different USB key, a Sandisk Cruzer. The install that failed was on a 2GB SD card plugged in via a USB card reader. The card is extremely slow (took about 4 times longer to create the USB boot disk than for the Sandisk Cruzer).

Hope this sorts it out...

thanks
    Vaca

vaca, Sep 1, 2008
  4. vaca

vaca

Tried with a differnt USB key and this time it worked!

vaca, Sep 2, 2008
Ask a Question