Win 7 or Win 8 for laptops?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by skywatcher, Apr 1, 2014.

1. skywatcher

skywatcher

I'm planning to re-evaluate my laptop and decide if I should switch OS's from my Windows XP. But I'm having a hard time if I should choose Win 7 or Win 8 for my laptop.

What is more recommendable? I'm not entirely sure as to which of the two systems actually helps laptops more than personal desktops and the other way around. I was hoping you guys could offer some opinion about this? Thank you!

skywatcher, Apr 1, 2014
  2. skywatcher

Nestone50

I'd go for Windows 7 for an older laptop for a couple of reasons. I recently updated a 10 year old laptop to Windows 7 from XP. Over the years I had added more memory and a larger hard drive. A major factor was cost. Just how much money do you want to put into an old laptop with new ones relatively cheap? Windows 8 would be expensive with a steep learning curve. Besides, Windows 8 has been widely panned as being a bad operating system and Windows 9 is being hurried to put on the market soon.
    After having a good look round the internet, I found I was able to buy a legal product key of Windows 7 Professional for only $35.99. Here is a link: http://www.productkeyfinding.com/windows-7-product-key/windows-7-professional-product-key/
    You will have to download and burn a Windows 7 ISO image file that I found here: http://www.mydigitallife.info/downl...cial-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/
    Again, all perfectly legal. So, for a grand total of $36, I was able to install Windows 7 Pro on my old laptop. I did a clean install and all went well. My old laptop is a Compaq R3000. I had read elsewhere that installing Windows7 on this laptop was not possible. That was not true. The Windows 7 install disk I burned found all the necessary drivers to get me up and running. I later found drivers that got the correct resolution for the ancient graphics card and another driver for the chip set. I have no "yellow triangles" in Device Manager and the old laptop with a fresh install of Windows 7 runs better and boots faster than it ever did with Windows XP.

Nestone50, Apr 2, 2014
  3. skywatcher

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Here's a heads up guys n gals

The ONLY way to get Windows 7 NOW, is to buy 'old' stock from various retailers like Aria, Ebuyer, and Ebay...

Microsoft has removed ALL links relating to Windows 7 downloads off the Internet - to force us to change to Windows 8.
    There are torrentz but I will not download possibly hacked software.

How did I find this... I found out the hard way;
    my son trashed his Desktop lst week, which was installed using Windows 7
    later- MS sent out an update to make the Desktop Win 7 SP1

- NOW our Windows 7 disks will no longer re-install over Win 7 SP1

I looked everywhere for a "legal download" and found they were all gone.

I ended up paying £70 for a Win 7 SP1 Disk so we could re-install Windows 7.

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Apr 2, 2014
  4. skywatcher

Nestone50

Brian,
    You didn't read my post from earlier today right above yours. I did what I report just last week. The links are still good. I was able to download & install Windows 7 Pro for about 25 pounds based on current conversion rates.

Nestone50, Apr 2, 2014
  5. skywatcher

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Actually I DID read your post... but the ISO's marked 'Digitalriver' are NOT coming from the MS approved Digital river website... MS CLOSED THAT DOWN...

They must be being hosted on that actual My Digital Life website... which is where my comment about 'Hacked versions of Windows' being available on the web, comes in.

They MAY be copies of LEGAL Software, but judging by the comments below that Article, many people found the software incomplete or faulty in several ways...
    I do NOT intend to start a flame war, so I will NOT be watching this thread further...

MS HAS CLOSED OFF ALL REGISTERED
    LEGAL WINDOWS 7 DOWNLOAD OUTLETS

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Apr 3, 2014
  6. skywatcher

Sefie

If you have never used Windows 8 in the past or have not even a little of experience with it, then I'd really recommend you windows 7. Because Win 7 is more like Win XP, but Win 8 is just a completely different thing. Up until recently I had been using only Win 7, until I got a new laptop and was forced to use Win 8.

The experience has been bearable, not as bad as Win 8 haters said it would be, but I'd definitely love going back to Win 7 with no hesitation if I had the chance.

Sefie, Apr 3, 2014
  7. skywatcher

Sefie

Your post infuriated me, Brian. I can't believe those idiots have don't such a thing... actually I believe it, I truly believe it and their greediness never ceases to amaze me. I wonder what the heck Bill Gates is thinking... it seems he is throwing quite a tantrum because the reception of Win 8 was nothing of he expected. What an awful way to force everyone use that crappy OS. Not fair!

Sefie, Apr 3, 2014
  8. skywatcher

Nestone50

Well gents, all I can tell you is you can p**s & moan or you can solve your problem. You CAN find a download of the Windows 7 iso file online and you CAN buy a legit product key. It's all legal and I don't care if it comes from a Microsoft approved site. I did it last week and it was a "clean" copy of Windows 7 Pro. If one doesn't know how to download the file and properly transfer it via 7 Zip or similar to a DVD or USB flash drive, I'd suggest you steer clear. However, as with most software, 90% of complaints are a result of someone not knowing what one is doing.
    If you are going to do a clean install of Windows 7, you don't have to spend a penny until you are satisfied that the OS installed properly. You have 30 days after the install of a Microsoft OS to buy a product key. So, one can be satisfied that the OS you install from a "non approved Microsoft site" works flawlessly before you buy the product key license like I did for $35.99.

Nestone50, Apr 3, 2014
  9. skywatcher

NeroFerk

I'd say get win 7. It is better for any old laptop and Windows 8 is sort of complicated. As of right now Win 7 is like the new Win XP or close enough.

NeroFerk, Apr 4, 2014
  10. skywatcher

mikelouis

It all depends on the type of preference. If you love Windows 8 then you will go for a Windows 8 laptop. But any laptop that can run Windows 7 then it can run Windows 8 since 8 is much lighter than 7.

mikelouis, Apr 5, 2014
  11. skywatcher

Maledictum

I have a laptop with Windows 7 and Windows 8. I use the Windows 7 one every single day but for the life of me I cannot stand Windows 8 at all. It just feels so tacked on and unnecessary and I really hate the new sidebar and navigation. I'd say stick with 7 but what sucks is that if you're a gamer the developers are eventually going to force a switch to the latest OS because of direct X and whatever new technologies.

Maledictum, Apr 6, 2014
  12. skywatcher

mjhunter23

From what I have heard they are practically the same. I run Windows 7 and have never felt like I needed to upgrade to Windows 8, especially as almost everything is backwards compatible so I have never tried to download something and not be able to because I was running Windows 7. A friend of mine said she got stuck in on the Tiles page because they have changed some of the short cut keys etc so if you have used older versions of windows there may be slight learning curve for Windows 8.

mjhunter23, Apr 10, 2014
  13. skywatcher

alash

Windows 7 all the way. Windows 8 isnt user friendly and can confuse someone who is a beginner / learner.

alash, Jul 20, 2014
  14. skywatcher

Gazaloze

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    Gazaloze, Sep 10, 2014
Ask a Question