Will you be able to run a Windows software on Mac OS?

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by pandandesign, Feb 3, 2014.

1. pandandesign

pandandesign

I have heard one of my friends said that I can run a Windows software on a Mac OS. Have any of you guys done it before? Will you be able to download the exe file and extract on the Mac OS? I haven't done it nor have found a way to do it, but I think it's possible to do it because people have done it before. I want to be able to use some of the software on Mac OS because they won't work unless I have a Windows OS.

pandandesign, Feb 3, 2014
  2. pandandesign

elPaulio Moderator

Hi,

You cannot run Windows apps natively on a Mac as they use different operating systems.
    You can set up a Mac to run Windows a few different ways as a Mac is just a PC after all with set hardware and a fancy looking box.

Google Bootcamp as I believe this is the most popular way to do it.

Paul

elPaulio, Feb 3, 2014
  3. pandandesign

Ian Administrator

If you just want to run a few apps, you could try virtualising them in VirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org/) - although you'd need a Windows license as it would essentially be an OS within an OS. I use this in Windows for running some older operating systems when needed :).

Ian, Feb 3, 2014
  4. pandandesign

gadgetised

I just use VMWare to run Windows applications in OS X. VMWare is actually a really handy way of gaining access to the full Windows OS without having to do a reboot every time you want to run it. Virtualization will let you run Windows within its own window as if it is an application itself. Great for those who need access to Windows programs but don't actually want to use Windows on a full time basis.

gadgetised, Apr 1, 2014
  5. pandandesign

mjhunter23

You cant run any Windows apps on your computer but you can install Windows on a mac although it could slow down your laptops performance.

mjhunter23, Apr 11, 2014
  6. pandandesign

tymaul

If you bootcamp your mac you will be able to have dual apple and windows on that computer. That is how we would work on our computers in college to be able to run all the software that was necessary for our classes. Just be careful that you don't lose anything that you don't want to when you bootcamp your computer.

tymaul, Jul 21, 2014
  7. pandandesign

angela10

I currently have MS Office, if that counts. I'm currently working for this company where we're required to have a messenger account on an app which only runs on Windows. Initially, I had worries since I had a Macbook Air, but after googling for a few minutes, I was able to install the app properly using Winebottler. There are a lot of ways and apps out there that'll enable you to run Windows software on your Mac, a little Google searching will go a long way if you need help. :)

angela10, Oct 5, 2015
  8. pandandesign

IcyBC

This is interesting, and I have a MacBook Air too! Right now, I can only message the people who are using the same iOS. Will look into this!

IcyBC, Oct 5, 2015
  9. pandandesign

GearZ

I have used both Parallels Desktop and Boot Camp to have Microsoft Windows apps run on my Macs. Parallels works great if you don't want to dual boot. I never had any trouble running Windows applications with said. I do prefer to dual boot, so my current Macbook is setup with Boot Camp to boot into Mac OS X and Windows 7 at start up. Parallels isn't free, but it doesn't cost much. Boot Camp comes with modern versions of Mac OS X, but, as with Parallels, you'll need to buy a license for Windows.

GearZ, Oct 20, 2015
  10. pandandesign

kbnystudio

You indeed can run Windows on a Mac. I currently have this myself. Using Bootcamp I can boot from restart into either OS X or Windows 8. It is easy to use and works flawlessly for me. It's just like having two different computers!

kbnystudio, Dec 8, 2015
  11. pandandesign

Marla013

This one I also did but with a different app. Am I correct to assume that Winebottler is a paid application? Since I have no credit card or any other means to pay for online transactions, I am left with freeware. I downloaded one, called Darwine. I think the app was downloaded correctly but I cannot install it. I am definitely not techie with this things. Parallels Desktop and Boot Camp are also paid. Are there any others that I can use? Thanks!

Marla013, Jan 5, 2016
Ask a Question