WiFi works at home but not in public hotspots

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Guest, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi. I've searched for other posts on this precise topic but couldn't find any; many apologies if there are existing threads: plase point me towards them and I can delete this post.

I'm using a 512Mb Aspire One with XP (full install, SP1). At home, the Acer picks up the signal from my Speedtouch wireless router with no problems whatsoever, but I've tried it in several cafés and other places with free WiFi connections and get no joy. The connection LED lights up, the signal strength is reported as "excellent", but though other people are clearly surfing away, I cannot connect.

Is this a known issue? Is there a standard fix?

Many thanks,

Bert Coules

Guest, Nov 15, 2008
  2. Guest

vinistois

Use the updated Atheros driver, and the Atheros client utility. Its a bit more complicated than the standard wireless app, but alot more complete. I have been using it since my wireless stopped working, and its been no problems.

vinistois, Nov 15, 2008
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks for that; I'll check them out.

Edited to add:

I can't be sure without more testing, but so far, that seems to have solved the problem. In a local Starbucks this morning, opening Internet Explorer immediately connected to their T-Mobile Wifi service.

I didn't go any further than that, though. If McDonald's can provide free connection, why can't Starbucks?

Bert Coules

Guest, Nov 15, 2008
Ask a Question