wifi went bad after bios flash (stock 3301 to 3305)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hansbehrends, Dec 20, 2008.

1. hansbehrends

hansbehrends

This might interest some people who have been having problems with their AAO 150 (XP) units.
    The twist here is that I am running Vista SP1 ...

Wi-fi was working perfectly, the wi-fi would re-connect automatically after awakening from sleep OR hibernation.
    Then, almost on a whim, I decided to flash the bios from 3301 (the original bios) to 3305. Then the problems began. The
    wi-fi would stop working after resuming from hibernation, or be erratic after coming out of sleep. The atheros device would be completely gone from device manager. Shutting down and restarting fixes that, until the next hibernation.
    Next, I flashed from 3305 to 3308 (which I obtained from the euro acer website) and that got it a little better - now the atheros device doesn't disappear anymore, it just doesn't detect any networks (except for some wireless ad-hoc printer thing that's going on in my building). That isn't fixed after I restart the OS. I want to go back to 3301 !!!

Why did I flash to 3305 and then to 3308? Because I had read that the newer bios revision does something to get more out of the battery, and more importantly, improves detection of other types of batteries, like the "simplo" with higher capacity, which is what I need ... 1.5 to 2 hours just doesn't cut it anymore.

For your delight, here is my system configuration.
    I updated Windows XP to Vista. After the upgrade, Windows proceeded to get all relevant drivers from Windows Update (all except webcam which is uniform for XP and Vista). Everything worked great... until the bios flash. Now the wi-fi sucks.
    Lesson, if it ain't broke, don't fix it... serves me right for forking with the bios.

AOA 150, 120 GB HDD, upgraded to 1.5 GB RAM. Windows Vista Ultimate.
    Eboostr 3 Beta build 479, Superfetch disabled. Great computer!

hansbehrends, Dec 20, 2008
Ask a Question