Wifi was much better under Linpus, anyone know why ?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by alictait, Feb 6, 2009.

1. alictait

alictait

Hi Guys,

As a Linux newbie I tried to stick with the O/s when I bought my new A1, however after having issues doing some of the things you take for granted on a windows pc I decided to install XP as I had a spare XP home license.

As soon as I installed Xp I noticed a huge deficiency in the performance of the Atheros wireless card compared to Linux. On investigation I found that switching off Power saving via device manager improved it slightly as did updating to the latest drivers and latest Bios. Now however although I am not getting any issues with the signal dropping ( I was at start), the signal is nowhere near as good as it was with Linux. Is it just that the Atheros was designed to work with Linux and it doesn't like XP or what ??? Under Linux I was picking up several signals from my neighbours, but now only find my own router.

Has anyone else experienced this?, and if so managed to rectify ?

Thanks in advance

Ali

alictait, Feb 6, 2009
  2. alictait

steven.chien

Hi!

There are many facts that would affect the quality of the connection, especially WiFi. Linux is better? Not really, I am using Linpus, and I experience signal dropping from time to time, seems that the wifi card was disappeared, restart helps! I am using the BIOS 3304. Also, the operating system is not affecting the quality, but the driver, the wifi card built in AA1 is not really designed for Linux, that's why at the early stage when aa1 came out, nearly not distro supports it. Updating the driver helps to improve the quality of the transmission as well as stabilize it. BIOS is also a importing factor too, but be careful! Acer will not repair for you free if you have any problem like you break the BIOS! I called Acer to see how can i update the BIOS in Linux edition, do you know the answer? Do you experience any problem, at that time, I just purchased it for a week and i didn't experience any problem yet, so i answered no. She answer me if I never experience any problem, I should leave it alone! :evil: What she mean is, if I update it myself, and any things goes wrong, they will bear no responsibility! So be careful!

steven.chien, Feb 7, 2009
Ask a Question