WIFI that works anywhere -is it possible with Linux?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jjj, Dec 11, 2009.

1. jjj

jjj

Have a Aspire 150 which gets used on holiday.
    After a few failures to connect on the last overseas trip, I switched from Linpus OS + Atheros card to Ubuntu Netbook remix + WICD + Intel 5300 wireless card.

All works well in Thailand, but when I reach Vientiane, it will not connect to the hotel network, as it "CANNOT ACQUIRE IP ADDRESS". Lucklily I have Moblin 2.1on a USB stick & that reliably connects to the same network.

However, Ubunbtu is superior in every other respect. Is there any network manager I can use for Ubuntu that will connect everywhere that a Microsoft system does? Or do I have to sell out to Bill Gates?

jjj, Dec 11, 2009
  2. jjj

Dooms_day

its called mobile broadband, all major phone companies have some sort of service like this, its separate from your cell though,

when you sign up for it they give u a USB thing that recieves the 3g signal and gives you internet where there are no free access points or whatever

you need cell phone signal though

Dooms_day, Dec 17, 2009
  3. jjj

jjj

Sorry, what I meant was if I enter a hotel or guesthouse with WIFI & the Windows or MAC users can connect without difficulty, I want my linux based aspire one to do the same.

As it is, I can stay at 4 hotels where the wifi works and it then decides not to work at the 5th hotel, when I can see other guests using laptops without trouble. I can hardly change the router settings, therefore need a Netbook that can show some flexibility.

jjj, Dec 27, 2009
Ask a Question