WiFi stops working when unit is hot.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jmurrayil, Dec 27, 2008.

1. jmurrayil

jmurrayil

AAO model 1447 (1GB, 160 GB HD, WinXP) where the WiFi will not be operational when the unit is hot. I normally run Ubuntu 8.10 (tweaked for the AAO) on the AAO and both U and Windoze can not get the WiFi to connect - no signal found. In WIndoze, it lists the WiFi as disabled; in U it shows no signals. Simply allowing the unit to be powered off and cool for a few hours, then all works properly again.

Anyone else having this problem? Is this a single unit defect or a design defect for all units?

jmurrayil, Dec 27, 2008
  2. jmurrayil

hansbehrends

You might be on to something there.
    I am among those with wifi connection problems - I use Windows Vista though but I bet similar problems would occur in other OSs -
    I would have the unit on my lap and the connection status would go to "limited connectivity" with subsequent failure to re-connect after disconnect,
    and inability to find my router's SSID on the air.

This has occurred ever since I upgraded to BIOS from 3301 to 3308. I have since reverted to original stuff, but the problem has not gone away
    At any rate, I have wondered if the problem is not due to something heat related as it tends to occur after hours of use.

There is a mod floating around this forum that involves the installation of a passive heat sink unit - a heat spreader - into the air canal
    that sits right on top of the north bridge (Intel 945GSE) which at 130 nanometer does get quite hot (the CPU in comparison,
    with its 45nm design and 4W max thermal envelope can go without active cooling). This mod may actually allow you to turn down or even
    turn the fan off altogether (though non-destructive, is at your own risk) but improves on the cooling greatly.

I have a low-profile aluminum heatsink that came off of a SiS 735 chip from a dead motherboard. I plan on doing this mod...
    If my wireless situation doesn't improve with some further tinkering after that, I will probably get something like a Dell Intel 4965AGN
    with wireless-N antenna - the silver bullet to any wireless problems, and well supported in Linux.
    On second thought this doesn't make much sense... why not do the wireless and heatsink mods both at the same time. Oh, bluetooth while I'm at it.
    Darn. this thing is too much fun...

hansbehrends, Dec 28, 2008
  3. jmurrayil

jmurrayil

Yes, I have the same problem (both with Windows and U8.10). Sometimes it has problems when cold - no WiFi. (I live in an apartment and have plenty of WiFi networks within range.) I have started a conversation with Acer support. I'll return this (defective) unit if the problem can not be fixed.

jmurrayil, Dec 30, 2008
Ask a Question