Wifi runs super slow when power cord not plugged in.?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by KxWaal, Jun 23, 2009.

1. KxWaal

KxWaal

If my netbook is plugged into the wall, I find WIFI works perfectly fine.
    If I try to unplug my netbook, and you know, actually make use of the wireless - I find that my wifi connection runs super slow.
    Youtube videos and the like buffer to the point their unwatchable.
    As soon as I plug my netbook back into the wall, even if it's the same distance from my router - The connection suddenly goes at a normal speed again.
    Anyone else have this problem? Do you know why it is?

KxWaal, Jun 23, 2009
  2. KxWaal

JimK

I have had the same problem using Linpus. I don't know if it's a hardware problem or software driver problem. There are other wi-fi problems, such as totally losing all connections and the only way to fix it is to power down, unplug and remove the battery for about 10-15 seconds. This seems to happen with Linux and Windows, so I suspect it's a problem with the wi-fi hardware.

JimK, Jun 23, 2009
  3. KxWaal

cs9000

Turn off power management for the wi-fi card. Search the forum for other threads - this is a common problem.

cs9000, Jun 23, 2009
  4. KxWaal

Tamrac

Echo on what CS9000 said, this is an OLD and common problem. Solutions are turning off Power Save feature of the wifi card. Another is upgrading the BIOS and wifi drivers, now you can leave the power save mode to ON and not give you problems.

Tamrac, Jun 24, 2009
Ask a Question