Wifi Problems Fixed!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by adamsully, Nov 6, 2008.

1. adamsully

boatman1

Well------------ I need to retract my previous posts. Intermittent WIFI is back again. However the 3305 bios and the 160 version driver seem to be MY best bet. 95% of the time it connects --- might drop-out --- then reconnects on it's own. At&T has looked at the Uverse router which was set to G to match the Atheros wifi card, no problems found-- power saving has been turned off on the Acer One. I still get "slow" connects and or no connects from time to time.

I will leave it alone with ver 3305 bios and the 160 driver until I see more info on this site-- the wifi is usable BUT not optimum yet.

boatman1, Nov 14, 2008
  2. adamsully

boatman1

OK--- its FIXED NOW. The solution is EASY!

View your network connections

Right click on the Atheros connection

Go to Properies

UN-CHECK the QoS Packet Scheduler

WOW_________________ no dropouts and really fast wifi !!!

My has now been VERY stable and very fast through many re-boots--- got this fix from the Acer guy web site--- http://www.theacerguy.com/2008/08/09/wi ... spire-one/ go down toward the bottom of the page and read Steve Cramers POST--- the first sentence says Wireless Fidelity Internet Connection Dropout--- or search the page using the text search on Firefox for QoS . Hope this fixes yours like it did mine.

Remember I am also running Bios 3305 and driver 160--- on an Acer One XP-- 1 gig ram, 120 meg hard drive.

Boatman

boatman1, Nov 15, 2008
  3. adamsully

adamsully

@boatman: Well that's certainly a new hope for those still experiencing issues. Thanks! I sure hope this will help out barapopa. I feel really bad for the guy.
    @barapopa: I would try a reformat/reflash the BIOS to get a fresh start. Then update your driver, turn off only the one power saving option, and try this new tip. I'm crossing my fingers for you.

adamsully, Nov 15, 2008
  4. adamsully

MorePortable

I feel like jumping in here to offer my personal experience and feedback.

I got my AA1 a few days ago (AOA150 w/XP - 160GB, 6-cell). Still configuring it with all my needed apps. Other than the trackpad buttons being positioned awkwardly, the sole issue I've had has been wifi.

No matter what version of the BIOS I've had on the AA1 or the WLAN driver, I am not able to connect my AA1 to my Linksys access point. I've tried slightly different WPA/WPA2 configurations on it, and tried every configuration tweak under the sun on the AA1, but nothing works. I even tried a different Linksys AP (router version), and tried it both in normal and client mode. However, my AA1 connects just fine to my D-Link access point.

I have 2 access points behind my main firewall (which, in turn, is behind my DSL router). One AP is for my work LAN, the other is for house guests. For my work LAN, I've currently got the Linksys acting as the AP in the dumb/simple "client" mode connected to the firewall so that I can manage all my network rules on the firewall. The D-Link has no client mode, it's a run-of-the mill AP with a few bells & whistles. I would prefer if my AA1 could connect to my work LAN, and if anyone can suggest an AP which can be placed into "client" mode the same way a Linksys can, I think that would solve it for me.

I also wanted to chime in here on this to share that sometimes it's not the AA1 with the issue, but the make/model of the wireless access point. I know that sometimes people have had issues connecting their laptops to my Linksys access points, but usually those issues were fixed by using the hex version of the shared key rather than the plain version. That, and nothing else, has gotten my AA1 to connect to the Linksys (though it does work when connected directly via cable).

MorePortable, Nov 16, 2008
  5. adamsully

OneZero

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and would like to "Thank you" for all the hints and how-to's. I wouldn't have manage to flash the bios and upgrade
    to XP Prof without this great webpage! (BTW, I just did this all yesterday.)
    Unfortunately I'm having problems with the googlemail, its really slow and the connection is dropped. I'm using the A150 with XP Prof, Bios 3305.
    The speed for the WLAN and LAN are excellent for anything else, just googlemail seems to slow down the connection.
    Does anyone else have this issue with gmail?
    I would like to try out the Atheros driver v160 mentioned in the previous posts.
    Could you please point out the direction where to download the drivers (searched Atheros-web, but did not found the drivers)?

Many thanks.

One Zero

OneZero, Nov 20, 2008
  6. adamsully

OneZero

Did another search in the forum and got the v160 driver pack.

Thanks.

OneZero, Nov 20, 2008
  7. adamsully

eechip

New to the forum but wanted to share my recent experience. I purchased 2 aspire one's (120G, 1G Ram, XP) for my two kids for xmas. I opened these up to configure for xmas morning. Remember, these are two identical units right out of the box. Each unit has bios version 3305 and wireless driver 7.6.0.224. One unit is running perfectly. The wireless connection works just like any other laptop I have or have used. The second unit has been nothing but a pain. The typical symptoms listed on here - dropped connection, slow connection, after standby, and even on initial boot. I personally feel it is faulty hardware that can be hit or miss. I'm not here to get into that. I spent a couple of days trying suggestions on here and then I quit. A new replacement is on the way and hopefully the odds will be in my favor with it.

eechip, Dec 16, 2008
  8. adamsully

henringuyen

i just got 160 g 6 cell today and i had little bit problem with my wifi too
    sometimes on sometime off
    i followed your instruction and it work like a champ
    wifi connection quicker too

thank you so much you guy
    my daughter love it :D :D :D

henringuyen, Dec 19, 2008
  9. adamsully

lamthuyduong

I have a white AAO 150-1006 that I my girlf friend bought me 4 days ago. Sometimes the wifi and sometimes it would stall and the pages would stop loading. I found this thread and did the updates. the laptop already came with a 3305 bios driver so i did not have to update that. I then updated the wlan atheros driver from 760.224 to 761.160. For now, the wifi connection is strong and there are no stalls. I hope it stays this way. i am enjoying the fast connections. There is a new bios driver,3308, on the acer's website. i don't know if I should update the bios to that driver. The 3305 bios driver and the 761.160 wlan atheros driver are working good for me at this moment in time. if the connection starts stalling again. Maybe I will update the bios driver to 3308.

lamthuyduong, Dec 19, 2008
  10. adamsully

eechip

I've had the replacement unit for almost a week. It runs like a champ. I really think it is instability in the wireless hardware. From what I've read, I could go a month and it will crap out. Who knows.

eechip, Dec 24, 2008
  11. adamsully

jmurrayil

I'm having a WiFi problem with both Windows and Ubuntu 8.10. First, the WiFi would stop working when the unit got hot (Acer confirmed that WiFi will shut down with a hot unit, while the unit stays working). Now, intermittently, I get no WiFi with either Win or U.

It appears that the Acer One has a defect related to its WiFi operation. If there is a defect, Acer will not report it as one until they have a permanent good fix. (Unless they take the MS path and never report their defects.)

If you have a WiFi problem that is related to the hardware or to Acer supplied software, you need to report the problem to Acer Support so that the problems can be logged by Acer and they can become aware of how big a problem they have. Once enough reported problems are sent to them or the problem hits the media, they may be slow at solving it (the squeaking wheel gets the grease).

I now, at time, use an external USB WiFi adapter (Hawkings) when the internal WiFi hardware fails. If Acer can not fix this problem in a few weeks, this one is either going back to store for refund or to Acer for repair/new replacement.

jmurrayil, Dec 30, 2008
  12. adamsully

myuusmeow

Following the link you gave me, disabling the Atheros power saving, WiFi is amazingly zippy. AWESOME.

myuusmeow, Dec 31, 2008
  13. adamsully

DutchAcerOne

I'm pretty sure I have a robust work-a-round for the very annoying problem that the Acer sometimes looses it wireless connection. It's mentioned somewhere else on this forum: disconnect your power + battery for some seconds, re-plug everything, boot and very big chance wireless is back again.

It seems that the Acer stores some information in RAM that needs to be reset.

(110Aw, 8G Samsung SSD, 1,5G RAM, Ubuntu 8.10, Sickboy's kernel)

DutchAcerOne, Dec 31, 2008
  14. adamsully

boatman1

Windows Update has a new Atheros driver version 260 available--- previously it was 160 ---

My wifi was stable with the 160 version but I upgraded anyway to the 260 version on the Microsoft Update Site.

boatman1, Jan 1, 2009
  15. adamsully

bullasydney

Thanks

I updated the BIOS and the Driver.. ( 3305 and 170 Driver )

Earlier i had reconnection issues after the machine is started from hibernation , now that is gone

I will check for a week and see how it works

bullasydney, Jan 2, 2009
  16. adamsully

ChopperCharles

I opened my Aspire One today to replace the Atheros card with an IBM card, and the black antenna wire WASN'T EVEN HOOKED UP!! It looked like it was not seated fully on assembly, and rolled off when the top bezel was screwed into place. I always had very weak, slow signal in addition to the normal problems where the card refuses to work anymore until I reboot. I couldn't guarantee that the wifi would stay connected for even an hour.

I went ahead and replaced the Atheros with the IBM Wireless-N card, and I couldn't be happier. I used the existing two antenna wires, and DID NOT add the third wire. My wifi now is amazingly fast, the signal is quite strong, and I've had the computer online all day, and it hasn't disconnected once. It's finally as reliable as my Dell. I'm extremely pleased. The replacement couldn't have been simpler, I've never taken apart a laptop that was this easy to disassemble before. The only caveat is the ribbon cable connectors for the mouse and keyboard. I was expecting the push open kind, not the flip up kind, which I had never seen before. Wish that had been clearer in the instructions, I popped both of them off instead of flipping them up, and then had a hard time putting the connectors back together again.

Anyhow, I think I paid $27 off of eBay for the IBM card, and it works absolutely wonderfully. I'm finally happy with my Aspire One purchase. Why acer is still shipping Aspire Ones with the crappy Atheros card is beyond me, this fix is easy and reliable.

Charles.

ChopperCharles, Mar 8, 2009
  17. adamsully

lineout

Any chance you post the steps or link to a step-by-step guide?

What card did you use? Is it difficult?

Cheers

lineout, Mar 10, 2009
  18. adamsully

jjj

19. adamsully

havieri23

i have tried this. my acer came with the bios 3305, and i updated to the 160 driver, but windows still is stuck on validating identification..any suggestions? i also disabled the power save.

havieri23, Mar 11, 2009
  20. adamsully

linx

I had a major problem with my wifi. It didn't show up at all in Windows Vista, Windows 7 Beta or Linux Mint 7. Just upgraded bios to version 3309 and now it works like a charm!

linx, Mar 21, 2009
Ask a Question