Wifi dropping off even though says connected

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Guest, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I just got my a1 about a week ago, and have the same problem with the wifi as alot of users. heres my system specs:

acer aspire one, xp home, 160 hard drive, 1gb ram.

the problem i have is that when i close the lid, or play a game the internet slows to a crawl, even though the manager says its connected at "excellent" speed with 54 mbps. my netbook came with 3301, but i flashed the bios to 3309 with no changes. after hearing about peoples luck i flashed down to 3305.

even before i flashed my bios i updated the atheros to 7.6.1.160, turned the power saver off, and unchecked Qos packet scheduler off. the problems even more apparent when its running off the battery. the only way to bring it back is to repair the connection, sometimes 6 times in 15 minutes (running on battery)

ive even checked my router to make sure its running the latest firmware, no problems there... is there any solution to fix this??

Guest, Jan 16, 2009
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

i seem to have soldved my aspires losing the wifi by rolling back my wifi drivers to 7.6.0.224 . i havent lost the signal once, not after i close thelid, or play a game.

Guest, Jan 17, 2009
  3. Guest

blondiecls

My Wifi has also dropped off and the card appears to not be working at all. Do you think if I restore to an earlier date it will help with a hardware issue like this?

blondiecls, Jan 19, 2009
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

maybe, i know that when i rolled back the driver on my wifi card (i had upgraded the driver to the latest) it doesnt drop off anymore, not even when coming back from standby or playing a game.

Guest, Jan 19, 2009
  5. Guest

Ycare

I had the exact same problem, but only on a few chosen network.

In 80% of the time, it works fine like it should, but at home, and few other places, it just loses the connection within a few minutes, like it would enter a power saving mode and never recover (a repair connection becomes necessary).

I tried everything in the Adapter options, tried every single driver available one by one, not to prevail (currently 7.6.1.149). I just accepted that at home my "wireless" laptop needs a fuckin cable. And of course, as soon as it's cabled, it "rediscovers" the wireless connection immediately... really weird.

I blame Artheros at 300% on that. I had the exact same problem when trying with Vista, when trying with non windows wireless tools, etc...

If anyone knows a software solution, feel free to share !

Ycare, Jan 20, 2009
  6. Guest

alictait

I had a very similar issue, however when I turned off the power saving in device manager it seemed to clear. I was initially on Linux o/s before changing to XP and found that the wireless signal was excellent on Linux and just average on XP.

alictait, Feb 6, 2009
  7. Guest

Paisley Pirate

I've been running into this at the hotel I am staying at.

Out in the lobby area, I have wireless, no problem. In our room, it comes and goes.

Another of our people has a large Acer laptop and it does the same thing. Since it wasn't just me, I thought well, it's the environment (it hooks up fine at home and at the office... better than most, actually)

One thing I noticed when running Network Stumbler, is that there is another hub on the same frequency nearby. I am betting that this is causing the issue... the Acer is seeing one and then the other, and as the signals warble over each other, it drops the one, tries to hit the other, then the first one pops back on and it just drops it.

Lots of things all added together make for a poor wi-fi experience.

The hotels' IT guy had his mac laptop and it didn't have any issues with it, but he saw what I saw regarding the freqs. We discussed it, but I don't know if they are actually going to do anything... oh well, one more week and we're out of here anyway...

Paisley Pirate, Feb 8, 2009
Ask a Question