Wifi connects for a few seconds then stops

Discussion in 'Networking' started by markhedder, Nov 29, 2008.

1. markhedder

markhedder

I just got a new AAO Xp/160gb/6cell/1gbram,

When I first unpacked it, the netbook was able to pick up all the wireless connections in my house, running at 150 kbs because the connection that was picked up was poor (My Linksys wireless router is coming in the mail tomorrow). But the connection was stable. So I installed all my apps, Installed some Windows updates, now when I connect it picks up a few connections. This time, when I try to connect to one, it won't connect. When I refresh the list of wireless connections, they all disappear and now, "no connections can be found."

So basically it connects for 3 seconds, picking up a list of Wireless connections, but won't connect to any of them and loses all connections after one refresh. Can anyone figure out what is going on?

markhedder, Nov 29, 2008
  2. markhedder

boatman1

Look around the forum for the wifi fix--

Basically --

1. Go into Windows Control panel and click Network Connection-- Properties and UNCHECK QoS box. Reboot the machine.

2. Turn off all power saving functions -- later you can put them back on Normal-- mine works on Normal.

2. Go online to Windows Update and download the new driver it will try to give you.

Now try this configuration and see if it corrects your problem. If not then download the Bios ver 3305 and install the new bios. Instructions for doing this are already posted in this forum.

I am running Bios 3305, QoS unchecked, driver ver 160, power on Normal with no issues. The QoS fix finally made the connection stable. :D

boatman1, Nov 29, 2008
  3. markhedder

markhedder

Hey thanks for the reply. Actually I have been trolling these forums for a week already.
    1) Tried it, 2) Tried it 3) Windows update is (what I suspect) caused my problem. Not sure if it really was but I was able to connect before the update and clearing out the pre-installed junk. Now it won't connect at all.

Bios is preset as v3305, WiFi drivers are updated to the latest 7.6.1.160.

Just to clarify why I made this post, most of the problems people have seem to be that their WiFi is lit up rather, but they can't connect. My Wifi blinks for a few seconds when it is able to pick up some wireless connections but stops blinking and drops all connections when refreshed, and won't connect to any/pick up any.

markhedder, Nov 29, 2008
  4. markhedder

markhedder

I just did an Acer eRecovery (Format back to factory settings) and the WiFi works again completely, 0 problems. Something must have caused it to stop working. I don't know if I should do a windows update, has anyone updated windows without any problems? I'm trying to pinpoint the problem to prevent it.

Edit: Updated Windows and it still worked. For anyone reading, I think either of these may have been the problem:
    1) deleting the Launch Manager program that came with the system. After deleting and reinstalling the file, when I would move the WiFi button on the front of the notebook, nothing would happen. However, without deleting the Launch Manager program, moving the Wifi button would show, on the screen in big letters "WIFI DiSABLED/WIFI ENABLED,"

or

2) Going to add / remove programs -> add/remove windows apps (or something along those lines) -> accidentally uninstalling then reinstalling the network configurations.

Not sure which one caused the problem, but it works just fine now without touching both of those.

markhedder, Nov 30, 2008
Ask a Question