WiFi Connection not found

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MgtReed, Jan 26, 2009.

1. MgtReed

MgtReed

I bought my Acer (120 GB XP) yesterday, and I'm having problems with the WiFi connection. It finds two or three other networks (depending where I am in the house), but fails to detect my BT Voyager hub, even when it is right next to it. I haven't installed any updates so far. Any help much appreciated!
    Thank you
    Margaret

MgtReed, Jan 26, 2009
  2. MgtReed

markh

If you can see other networks, it suggests the issue lies in the way your voyager is set up. Are you currently connecting wirelessly to it with any other computers? I'd suggest looking into its configuration - things to look for might include being set to BT's proprietory version of 802.11g only, or having MAC address filtering set up - the latter prevents it communicating with any machines whose MAC address isn't listed in the router's setup.

The basic proceedure you want to follow is to set everything on the router as open as possible, and once you get connected to progressively return it to a secure state until it stops working again, at which point you know your culprit.

markh, Jan 26, 2009
  3. MgtReed

Rich in ILM

It's usually pretty fundamental if your computer can't find a router. 99% of the time it's that the router is set not to broadcast the SSID.

Rich in ILM, Jan 26, 2009
  4. MgtReed

MgtReed

Thank you - that's solved it! Just changed the broadcast SSID option, and everything is now working.

Margaret

MgtReed, Jan 26, 2009
Ask a Question