Wifi cconnection problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by billybear1, May 16, 2010.

1. billybear1

billybear1

I'm having severe trouble connecting to my home router via the wifi connection on my AOA 150 XP SP3. It picks up the signal intermittently, sometimes not at all, the router is only about 6 metres from where I use the AOA and it picks up other signals in the area, it tries to connect to my router then stops and doesn't bother again. I have even tried inputting the IP settings manually, changing the broadcast channel, there is no problem showing on the Atheros driver either, so I can't think of anything else. When I take it out it connects to other wifi hotspots/routers fine. The AOA is just over a year old and the wifi was OK at home up until a couple of months ago. I'm having to connect through ethernet now, which sort of defeats the purpose of having the AOA at the moment!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

billybear1, May 16, 2010
  2. billybear1

Swarvey Moderator

Have you tried turning off your router completely for a few minutes? This usually resolves a hell of a lot of problems, especially with wireless routers.

Also make sure the router is in a spot where it's temperature can stay stable. I've seen wireless routers drop wifi signals when they simply get too warm.

Swarvey, May 17, 2010
  3. billybear1

fxstsb

I also have a WiFi connection problem using WEP. It seems as the computer will only allow me 23 digits of input (passphrase). Even if I try to use WPA the same problem exists. I am using 18 bit encryption on my router. This is an AOA150.

fxstsb, Jul 6, 2010
  4. billybear1

fxstsb

Well, No one has responded. Are there no networing/wifi experts? When I click on my my wireless connection properties and then go to the preferred networks screen it ask for an association. In the block where you put the key, it is only 23 spaces available and not 26. Why?

fxstsb, Jul 16, 2010
  5. billybear1

Swarvey Moderator

Only 18 bit encryption? You should probably change that. WEP is reasonably secure, but from what I've been reading on the subject lately, it's still pretty easy to crack. You might want to try 64 or 128 bit encryption if your router and WiFi card support it.

For Basic WiFi connection troubleshooting, ALWAYS try the following first:
    1. Power down your router and turn it off at the wall for 1 minute, then power it back up - Fixes a vast majority of connection issues
    2. Always ensure the latest drivers are installed for your WiFi card
    3. Check for the latest available firmware for your router - Not all routers support all WiFi cards, believe me a firmware update for the router has fixed several of my customers issues
    4. WEP is crackable, WPA is not so crackable - Try different security protocols
    5. IPv6 has been out for years - Ensure you're WiFi card has both IPv4 and IPv6 enabled

Swarvey, Jul 16, 2010
  6. billybear1

fxstsb

Thanks for quick response.
    Wheter I use wep or wpa, I am using 128 bit encription. That is 26 digits. My router allows that. Will check for ipv6

fxstsb, Jul 16, 2010
  7. billybear1

fxstsb

IPv6 addition did not change the length of the network key. What also gets me is that usually in the first setup where it asks for a key, that is not sufficient. Like on my router, I can assign a 26bit word or I can use a passphrase and the router will create the key. OK I know my key, it is 26 bits. but when I go to log on to my preferred network, (Acer One)the computer asks for 26 but allows 23. (big ?????)

fxstsb, Jul 17, 2010
  8. billybear1

Swarvey Moderator

Are you using Windows or Linux? Guessing Windows. You could try this:

1. In the router, choose WEP for the security settings, allow 64bit encryption, use a ten digit number like a mobile phone number as the key. Make sure you save the settings. WiFi will be temporarily unavailable while it's saving.
    2. On your AAO let Windows recognise the connection (instead of the WiFi cards software if any), it should automatically detect the SSID, the type and strength of encryption
    3. Windows should do no more than ask you for the key, under Windows XP it'll ask you to type it in twice, under Windows 7 it just asks for the key once. You might also need to tell it to "remember" the conncetion and/or "automatically connect"

If the above works, then you can try assigning different strengths and keys. I personally have never bothered with a passphrase or letting the router assign a key. Also check the channel at which your router is broadcasting, your WiFi card must match this for a stable connection.

Swarvey, Jul 17, 2010
  9. billybear1

fxstsb

Well still a problem. What I did find is that I had my MAC addresses were swapped. Still the word strength is limited to 23 characters. Even when you hover on the Acer above the number it asks for 26. I can only select 64 or 128 bit strength on my router. (Netgear). Not 127 or 126. So I am still stuck as to why the acer only has room for 23 characters and not 26. Cannot use 10 digit number on my router.

fxstsb, Jul 25, 2010
Ask a Question