WIFI Card not detecting any networks

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mnrc1, Aug 28, 2008.

1. mnrc1

mnrc1

I'm running XP with the latest Atheros drivers installed from Acer. The Wlan card is properly installed, but cannot find any networks. It looks like the switch on the bottom right is off, but I don't see how I can turn it on. Neither of the small lights are on, and when I push the switch to the right, I just get notified that Wireless Lan is Disabled.

Any solution to this?

Thanks

mnrc1, Aug 28, 2008
  2. mnrc1

mazade

did you disable any of the background services of XP?
    what is your wireless lan router/access point/hardware? - are there other wireless devices on your network?
    What atheros driver are you using..version & number? There's two types that I know of.. one will actually make use of the WLAN light.

mazade, Aug 28, 2008
  3. mnrc1

mnrc1

I thought that my nlited version of XP was the cause of this, as I had removed a lot of components.

However, I just installed a fresh version of XP SP2 from scratch, installed only the WLAN driver, and still no network detection. Either the driver has a problem or my hardware does.

I know that my wireless network works fine because I can connect to it via other laptops, and the AA1 connected fine when I first got it under Linpus.

I just need to try another driver version and reinstalling Linpus. My current version is the latest from Acer: WLAN_Atheros_v7.6.0.224

Do you have any links to older versions? I would love to try those instead. Thanks.

mnrc1, Aug 29, 2008
  4. mnrc1

ineedaname

Well this is sort of a late reply to this question but hopefully you get the answer.

I had the same problem before and i'm not 100% sure what caused it. I think its probably cause of the driver you're using.
    Anyway to fix this problem just download the atheros wireless utility and use that instead of the windows wireless zero config.
    The reason why this happens is cause the driver assumes the atheros utility has priority and disables WZC eventhough u don't have the atheros utility installed.

ineedaname, Oct 27, 2008
Ask a Question