Wifi card - long card in short slot?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by casemods, Apr 12, 2011.

1. casemods

casemods

The 522-bz897 doesn't come with the long card support. It has the screew and the little holder for both sides, but they simply did not solder the connection into the motherboard.

I noticed that both of the card mounts have the screw grounded to some sort of metal.

I put the long card in and hooked the wires up but it did not get detected in linux or windows..

I'm assuming I need to ground the screw mount?

The reason I am doing this is because I am looking for a card that supports packet injection in side linux, this is the reason for doing this.

This is what it looks like.

Either the card is bad or I need to ground it?

Or maybe it knows it's a long card and won't be supported in the short slot?

I got it for under $3 on ebay.

Also, if anyone has a short card that supports monitor mode and packet injection in linux, please share the model.

I do not want an external card because it would be a pain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

casemods, Apr 12, 2011
  2. casemods

matts1

I highly doubt that the port would be different for a half-card then a regular mini-pcie card but have you tried using your half-card without screwing it in and seeing if that works and then you will see if the screw grounds it or not?

I have a Intel 4965AGN to test the screw idea on another netbook if you want.

matts1, Apr 13, 2011
  3. casemods

casemods

Man why didn't I think of that :p

The card might be bad too.

I will put some electrical tape over the screw holes and card so that there is no contact of metal to the card other than the pci connections at the and and see if the half card works or not.

If you don't mind, that would be great to help me test my theory. It would help me determine if the card I received is bad or not.

Edit: tried the card with no screw or contact with the metal mount.

Even turned both wires around (black and white antenna leads)

Stock card still worked.

Then I put the long card in it doesn't work.

Nothing in device manager either.

Perhaps the drivers needs to be installed prior to installing it?

Should I format and re-install windows to see if it detects it?

Maybe full and half cards are somehow different electronically?

casemods, Apr 14, 2011
  4. casemods

matts1

I have installed Windows on my old MSi Wind netbook with the Intel card without first installing drivers and it worked fine. But, I guess the difference is I bought mine new. I did afterwards upgrade the drivers but it had no problem finding it without the upgraded drivers.

I think your card is just bad considering it was only $3..

matts1, Apr 14, 2011
Ask a Question