Why should I care?

Discussion in 'Android' started by arexxk, Jun 10, 2009.

1. arexxk

arexxk

I've been watching alot of youtube videos of arm cpu powered netbooks running android, but why is this beneficial? Sure it's super light-weight and is designed for mobility, but in a nutshell if it's not on a phone its simply a watered down linux. And since I have the freedom to run almost any linux distro on my AAO, why should I care about Android on it? :|

arexxk, Jun 10, 2009
  2. arexxk

KiNG

its just something new :)

KiNG, Jun 10, 2009
  3. arexxk

michael.belcher

would you care more if you could easily get your hands on a x86 (able to run on intel processors) port of android? I would.

michael.belcher, Jun 10, 2009
  4. arexxk

sihill

I would try Android only to see how does it looks like etc. I think that Windows XP+Ubuntu 9.04 combo is good enough for daily work.

sihill, Jun 10, 2009
  5. arexxk

cybershrike

I'm pretty obsessive about trying new things and I'm still not all that interested in seeing Android on netbooks. Good for smartphones, but I'm not sure it'll translate that well to a full machine.

cybershrike, Jun 14, 2009
  6. arexxk

sihill

I agree in 100% with you. Anyway isnt android an os for smarthphones? I have'nt heard about that Android was written for PC's/Notebooks

sihill, Jun 14, 2009
  7. arexxk

NaplesBill

Android is an open source OS based on Linux. Therefore it is very scalable. I am interested simply to see how the Android apps work and translate on a device with such a large screen (compared to a cellular device).

NaplesBill, Jun 15, 2009
  8. arexxk

Infected24

I cant wait to install and try android on my aao.

I know, there are plenty of linux distros, windows, mac os x, etc etc. but im pretty obsesed with trying new stuff.

Android + windows 7 + snow leopard + ubuntu karmic + moblin. :eek:

I think my netbook will gonna explode hahaha.

Infected24, Jun 15, 2009
  9. arexxk

winterbrew

winterbrew, Jun 16, 2009
  10. arexxk

Anfernee

The problem I have with Android, is if it is in fact just another linux distro, all of the programs for it should be free... but they have a store where some stuff is free, and others you have to pay for. like Apple's app store. I don't know if the android that is on the smartphones is going to be the same as the one on the netbooks, but if it is, I just don't think it would be an attractive package.. I personally don't like the 8-bit theme they're going with either... black with neon square aliens and such.. this is something that I would have themed futuristic, rather than retro.... I wish I could remember the game that it makes me think of... you're a space ship at the bottom of a screen, and an army of UFO's slide back and forth and drop from the top of the screen... that game, and centipede... I'm all for gaming nostalgia (i've got an atari 2600 that I would love to play if I had the right cable to hook it up to my tv), but I don't like the theme that android is using

Anfernee, Jun 17, 2009
  11. arexxk

DopyG

XD

[​IMG]

Its called Space Invader!!!!

xD

DopyG, Jun 17, 2009
  12. arexxk

NaplesBill

Technically, it's Space Invaders (plural). Seriously though, I played that game as soon as it came out. Me and my three brothers used to play it while waiting for open skating to start. I also played pong and the original breakout there. Yes, I am a '70s kid. LOL. Well, technically I was born in '68 but yeah.

NaplesBill, Jun 17, 2009
  13. arexxk

Antboy

Haven't been here in a while (happily using my Aspire One in the meantime)

I'll be installing the full version of Windows 7 when it ships, for sure. It just works better than XP or Vista on the Aspire. Since Chrome OS is a full Linux distro with the goal of running everything through the Chrome browser, I have absolutely ZERO interest in it, especially since Google is being cagey about supporting native Linux apps. Another fork of another version of Linux is absolutely the last thing it needs, and comes just as Ubuntu is picking up a modicum of steam in the tech press and beyond.

As for Android, I'd love to see that on my Aspire.

Although I use my Aspire pretty heavily (streaming media from my Windows Home Server, actually using GIMP, doing office-y stuff with MS Office etc), about half the time I would be comfortable with just a fast booting OS that would get me to a browser quick (and I wouldn't care about Flash).

It would probably be less battery intensive than a full OS as well.

Antboy, Jul 18, 2009
  14. arexxk

stewartbray

I have just bought a netbook to bridge between a full blown laptop, big heavy and expensive, and a mobile phone which is small and the keyboard impossible to send emails. So the operating system needs to be small, tight and lite, delivering netbook style portable browsing, with limited function for writing, spreadsheets and pictures. No 160GB hard drive for me, as even the desktops only have 80gb, and defintely no Windows in any shape or form. So if Android meets my needs then it gets used. If not, its the great bit bucket in the sky.......

stewartbray, Aug 4, 2009
  15. arexxk

gnubeard

If you're an end user who uses Google's services, you should care because Google is positioning itself to be able to deliver an optimized experience, all the way down to your phone or netbook. Google.com, displayed in Chrome, running on Android. This pays no real big dividends today, but in 3 or 4 years - it might be massively important... providing features to the user that just aren't available on other software stack combinations.

If you're a Linux user, you should care - because Google is throwing it's lot into the ring w/ Linux. If Google can push Linux onto the desktop, thats all the better for you.

If you're a Window's user, you don't care, unless it really takes off -- that could be really bad for Windows and IE in future.
    With 99% of the market, there is only one place for Windows to go: down.

If you're a Mac user, you don't care because either: A) you're also a UNIX (and know you already have a nearly perfect OS already) or B) you don't know what UNIX is, are not a techie, and haven't even heard of Android. If Linux/Android surpasses MacOSX as the #2 OS, that wont matter - because it won't be Mac users moving to Android, it will be Windows users. So the Mac market stays the same, the same level of support and apps will be available, and its all gravy.

As a very long-time UNIX user (SunOS, then Linux, FreeBSD, and now MacOSX) I don't give a damn at all. I'll be using UNIX until I'm dead anyhow.

Can you not see the signs? Will you not see, and hear the portents? Woe to you unbelievers! Shame to you heretics, you lovers of DOS. You, who love sin and GUIs. See how VMS, that old enemy - that great serpent was crushed by the might of UNIX! Behold! How the lowly Macintosh, that poor feeble creature, was healed by the greatness of UNIX and now runs bash, and Emacs in their pure glory. Amen!

The time is at hand! Very soon the One True OS, whose name is UNIX, shall vanquish its enemies and take its rightful place atop all computing devices. From the smallest cell phones, to the greatest supercomputing clusters - UNIX will run it, and the evildoers will be cast into the Lake of Fire forever.

gnubeard, Oct 24, 2009
Ask a Question