Why does everyone downplay the power of acer ones ??

Discussion in 'Windows' started by fry112, Apr 3, 2009.

1. fry112

fry112

I just went over to Staples to see if they had the new acer one, first the sales guy gives me the entire spill about how netbooks are just for the internet and nothing else, so I basically ignored the guy so after that I went to Best Buy got the same thing but they also dident have the new netbook... So after a long day of disapointment, I went to radioshack and they has 1 acer netbook 10inch , So the sales lady give's me the whoe spill about how its only for the web its almost like she was trying to talk me out of buying it hmmm wierd !

But see I use this netbook for everything.
    I use AAMS to master my music
    I play madden 2008 ,,actually some programs tend to work better on my netbook than my laptop
    I get 7 hours of battery with heavy use like screen as bright as the sun.

I mean the only flaw is that it doesnt have a Cd-rom but who cares its a new day in digital ...

But I think the reason all of these companies are trying to get us not to buy these machines is because , Why buy a 12,000 sony notebook when there is the mighty acer one that accepts all challenges ..

whats ur thoughts :D

fry112, Apr 3, 2009
  2. fry112

dattaway

I had a salesman fired after he claimed Microcenter didn't have any. Half an hour earlier I checked the website and they had 270 at that store. Apparently, they sell that many in a week, but not in half an hour's time.

No salesmen like selling cheap stuff. They would rather sell nothing.

dattaway, Apr 3, 2009
  3. fry112

AOD150BLACK

I agree, the netbook is very misunderstood right now.

I'm not sure if it is a deliberate attempt to make a bigger sale, or simply an effect of manufacturers not hyping the true power of these babies yet. This will probably change over the next year. By the end of the year holiday sales season, we will be one or two generations beyond the current models, and the true hype will probably begin.

AOD150BLACK, Apr 3, 2009
  4. fry112

rowantree

Had mine 6 months and use it more than my PC and laptop now.

I think they're misunderstood because no-one sticks to a definition of what they are. To me, cheap, sub £250, and that's a netbook. Any more and I'll buy a laptop.

I don't think the manufacturers are helping their own cause by ramping up the screensizes because, again, those would be laptops.

And I read somewhere else on here Acer have quit selling Linux which really annoys me. At least Dell are still flogging Linux.

Ho hum.

rowantree, Apr 3, 2009
  5. fry112

fry112

Well if anyone here has seen the display case for the netbooks there horrible!!! Staples has one and it basically is just saying it can only be used for the net!! I think the reason its so hard to see the difference between the netbook and the laptop is because all of the electronic stores are selling really crappy laptops. Yes the netbook with XP is going to run 10 times better than the standard laptop with Vista... Thats why these machines are so much better. I have a Dual Core laptop on vista that wont run applications as fast as my netbook plus its a new laptop that only gets about 1 hour battery!! gotta love HP!!
    Ha even there netbooks are crap!

fry112, Apr 3, 2009
  6. fry112

GerryP

Netbooks are great -- for their intended use.

I use my Acer-one, with great pleasure, for portable, remote, battery operated, computing. Mostly e-mail, web surfing, photo storage, entertaining me on long boring plane rides.

When I have any serious computing to do (like wp, ss, photo-editing, etc) I'd certainly prefer a desktop or laptop with std size keyboard and mouse, large screen viewing, dvd access.

A netbook is wonderful, but definately not a substitute for desktop or laptop.

GerryP, Apr 4, 2009
  7. fry112

firefox111

love my aspire one used it every day rather than my desktop or laptop its just so portable i can take it everywhere - wish i had the 10" though :D

firefox111, Apr 4, 2009
  8. fry112

jackluo923

I barely use my quadcore desktop computer anymore :eek: 95% of the time i'm on AAO. It does everything that I can on my desktop, but slower. E.G. photoshop, premiere pro, after effects, encore...etc..

I have the AAO hooked up to an external LCD monitor.

jackluo923, Apr 4, 2009
  9. fry112

fry112

Yeah the 10 inch is just the best acer ever !! I am getting 8 hours of battery you just cant find better computing with a regular laptop

fry112, Apr 5, 2009
  10. fry112

pxharder

I respectfully beg to differ. I have been able to do advanced word processing (over 200 page proposal with graphics), spreadsheets, presentations, photo editing, graphics creation, and all manner of office and business work on my Acer Aspire One and on a whole slew of netbooks.

I'm looking over at a Dell Insprion 2650 laptop, with a 1.2 GHz processor and 1GB RAM with Windows XP, that was purchased because it was "business ready" a few years ago. How is it that my AAO, with similar tech specs but a smaller screen and smaller keyboard, is not "business ready"? I don't get it.

It's a personal thing, I know. But just because one person might not think the system can work for business purposes does not mean they should be completely dismissed. Others, like myself, may find these units to be our business salvation.

pxharder, Apr 5, 2009
  11. fry112

jackluo923

Um.. some dell and hp laptop has 24hrs battery life with much better performance capabilities.

jackluo923, Apr 5, 2009
  12. fry112

donec

Just who decides the intended use? IMO it is the user.

IMO you should make it clear that you are stating your opinion as some people may think your statement is factual while there are a lot of people out there that, like myself that have Desktops, Laptops and an AAO (Acer Aspire One) netbook, that find using their AAO to do all their computing needs from surfing and researching the net through email, graphics, web design and document production completely satisfactory even preferred over the other computers. I will admit that for a gaming machine the AAO does not really work well for me.

donec, Apr 5, 2009
  13. fry112

GerryP

As you've said ..."Its a personal thing"

GerryP, Apr 5, 2009
  14. fry112

bdavison

The reason that most of the store salespeople dont recommend the netbooks, is because they've never used one and the store they work for would rather sell you a $2000 laptop than a $300 netbook. Ive yet to find a store where the sales people actually know the products they sell. Most of them are just warm bodies put there to take your money.

I was in wal-mart the other day, and there was a lady looking at the laptops. She really liked the size of the AAO for its portability. But the sales person kept telling her that it was a "toy" computer for kids, and wouldnt be a good choice for her and blah blah blah. They even had this big display with pictures of kids, saying "perfect childs first computer".

After she got rid of the salesperson...I told her I had the AAO, and pulled it out of my backpack. I powered it up and showed her what it could do. I also explained its limitations. She bought a pink AAO.

Walmart can send me my commission check anytime they want.

bdavison, Apr 10, 2009
  15. fry112

donec

They will probably try and sue you for contradicting their sales person because it would bring them more money that way. :twisted: :lol:

donec, Apr 11, 2009
  16. fry112

loil

I can see the "only good for the internet" line applying somewhat to low-capacity SSD models of these computers (haven't used one myself so I wouldn't know) but the HD models are not much different from higher end laptops of a few years ago except for the lower screen resolution and lack of a built-in optical drive. Add a usb dvd burner, maybe an external monitor, keyboard and mouse and most 'average' users really don't need any more computer. Mostly I think this is a case of the salespeople parroting something they've heard someone else say without really thinking about it.

loil, Apr 14, 2009
  17. fry112

fry112

Yeah but do those dell's cost $350 dollars ? my $900 Dollar computer I just bought can only get 2 hours ...

fry112, Apr 18, 2009
  18. fry112

JimmiG

Well, Intel, Acer, HP etc. don't want netbooks to cannibalize the sales of regular notebooks. They want people to think that they need a dual-core or preferably quad CPU running at 3 GHz, 6GB of RAM and a terabyte of storage to write letters, send an email and crop a few photos.

The truth is that computer hardware long ago reached the point where it's powerful enough for all the needs of the average user. An Atom netbook is equivalent to a high-end laptop from a few years ago - but people have been doing word processing, email, photo editing etc. for much longer than a few years - heck, I did desktop publishing on a 40 MHz Amiga with 18MB of RAM - sure, you had to work at 16 colors and only change to 256,000-color HAM mode for page previews, but it worked.

The Atom CPU is rarely maxed out except for in short bursts when loading documents or web pages. The limited storage of the SSD models can be a problem, as well as the limited RAM - but a netbook with 2GB of RAM and a 160GB harddrive should be enough for most users - unless some new usage for computers pops up in the future, the system would last for many years to come.

There are tasks that I can not do on my netbook however:

Gaming - With the Intel stuff, it's impossible. Most new games won't even start and if they do, they run at <1 FPS at the lowest settings at 640x480. With GeForce 9400M graphics it would be a little better, but that's still not a very powerful GPU compared to the latest video cards from Nvidia and ATI. Also the Atom CPU itself just isn't fast enough.

Music - As a "scratchpad" running Propellerhead Reason, it works quite well, though it struggles with more complex songs, especially when using low-latency ASIO4All drivers. Running Cubase, Live etc. with lots of plugins and rewired with Reason is out of the question - modern instrument plugins need a lot of CPU power and quite a bit of RAM. I sometimes have to "freeze" or pre-render tracks even with my Quad-core desktop system.

Storage - 8GB is tiny - even with a 160GB drive I would run out of space rather quickly since I'm currently storing more than 1.5TB on my desktop rig (two internal drives and one external drive). You can always buy one or more external drives I suppose.

JimmiG, Apr 18, 2009
Ask a Question