Why did you choose Apple?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by danielle davidson, Jul 2, 2015.

1. danielle davidson

danielle davidson

I really am thinking about buying an Apple laptop. I'm just wondering why everyone else decided to get an Apple laptop. One of the main reasons why I want to switch is because of the OS. I don't like the Windows system they have now. Right now I'm using Windows 7, but I would hate the have to get the new Windows. So, I think that Apple should be the laptop that I get. So, why did you choose Apple?

danielle davidson, Jul 2, 2015
  2. danielle davidson

Lun

I don't have one and I don't like them because of how overpriced they are, but I'm going to elaborate based on what my friend's preferences were of a laptop and why he decided to get a Macbook pro:

- They look stylish, first and foremost, and the apple logo is enough to make people buy their things to be honest.
    - They're good for office and video editing use because of the powerful CPUs usually.
    - They're needed to create AppStore apps. Anyone who decides to become an iOS developer would need to buy a Mac for that.

Lun, Jul 11, 2015
  3. danielle davidson

danielle davidson

@Lun There are so many people who buy them, but I also think that it's because of how reliable they are. I have a Toshiba and it's basically about to crap out. I have only had it about 4 years, so it's not too old. I have to try and bring it to Staples in hopes that they will fix it. I don't know how much they will be able to do for it, but I'm hoping they will be able to do something with it.

danielle davidson, Jul 12, 2015
  4. danielle davidson

Lun

I can't say much about their reliability because I never owned a Mac, but other manufacturers can be just as reliable, that's not enough justification for the cost in my opinion.

Lun, Jul 14, 2015
  5. danielle davidson

IcyBC

I have my dream of owning an Apple laptop and trying to save my money for it. The reason why I would pick Apple laptop is this: my two sisters and their family members have been using Apple products for a long time. Both of my sisters are still using their iPhone 4, and their laptops are more than 7 years old, running as fast and as sweet as the day they got them.

Now, I am a Window girl, and during this 7 years that they are having Apple products, I have had two HP laptops so far. Is this tell you something? I think they are overpriced, but the fact remained that they last much longer.

IcyBC, Jul 16, 2015
  6. danielle davidson

jamesbonner

For now I don't have an Apple laptop, but I'm planning to get one in the near future for some reasons,

- It's not too big and not too heavy.
    - It looks attractive and stylish.
    - The OS is the best (no viruses, no bugs etc ...)
    - The battery life !

it Really the best solution for a coder like me

jamesbonner, Jul 23, 2015
  7. danielle davidson

Lun

The 'no viruses on Mac' is mostly a myth though. You really can catch viruses if you're too reckless. It's not completely virus free. True, it's much safer than Windows, but it's still not very smart to assume you won't get viruses or malicious software at all. Also if you're running a web server on your Mac, you have the Shellshock bug to worry about too. As a coder you probably heard about it.

Lun, Jul 23, 2015
  8. danielle davidson

IcyBC

If I know how to fix or able to do something to rectify my HP laptop, I would stay with Window since I am so used to it. Comparing the life of my two HP to my sisters' Apple laptops, I think buying one is still better than buying two. Their devices are still running like the day they brought it home, while mine is about kicking the bucket. I can turn on my HP, go make coffee, fixed a cup of coffee and come back to see it is still loading. It is such a pain :(

IcyBC, Jul 23, 2015
    jamesbonner likes this.
  9. danielle davidson

jamesbonner

Haha you are suffering from the same things I'm suffering from, my HP takes about 10 minutes to turn on and load correctly, so only solution I've found is turn it off once a week only lol.
    @Lun, yes you are right, it's not completely safe because security been made to be hacked, but it still not full of bugs like Microsoft !

jamesbonner, Jul 24, 2015
  10. danielle davidson

IcyBC

I agree, nothing is absolutely safeguard, including Apple devices! They are just less prone to catch viruses or getting hacked. I always worry and keep this in the back of my mind. With my internet behaviors, I don't download anything on my laptop unless I have to for it to function normally, I think I should be fine for now.

IcyBC, Jul 24, 2015
  11. danielle davidson

Gurpreet Bhatia

Apple is much better than other Laptop's manufacturer in quality and as you know quality beats quantity. All other laptops last upto 4-5 years, but this is not happening in the case of Apple. You can go for Apple Laptop.

Gurpreet Bhatia, Jul 29, 2015
  12. danielle davidson

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Hi, Icybc and Jamesbonner

Are you still running Windows XP ? it was slow at the best of times compared to Windows 7, 8 or 10...
    Have you checked what programs are being loaded at start up (and hogging your RAM)

open a command prompt (type command into the search box)..
    type msconfig then tap the Enter key

a window will open - showing a list of the programs that automatically start when you power on your computer - if you un-tick a box - that program will NOT run...

Do NOT untick your Antivirus or Firewall programs...

As a Matter of interest -
    you SHOULD only have ONE Antivirus program running...

If you changed from McAfee or Nortons Antivirus to go for a FREE version... Go to the McAfee or to Nortons Website and download THEIR UNINSTALLER and run THAT... Windows uninstall does NOT actually remove those two programs it only removes the Name in Programs and Features... and they may be running in the background.

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Aug 14, 2015
  13. danielle davidson

angela10

I agree with everyone else who commented that Apple products really last longer than others. My Toshiba and Samsung laptops barely lasted two years with me. Though I admit I may not be the most meticulous and careful user out there, my Macbook still looks as good as new even after a little more than two years of using it. My sister, who also owns a Macbook Air, has had her laptop for close to four years now and she hasn't had any problems with it. Aside from the portability and style factor, I do think a Macbook is a good investment, in spite of its higher price point as compared to its competitors.

angela10, Sep 28, 2015
  14. danielle davidson

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Only lasted two years? This HP Laptop (Elitebook 6930p) is an Ex- Business Laptop and has been in use since 2009 ! and I bought it second hand ! it is still going strong (aside from replacing the Keyboard (£11-00))

The HP EliteBook line is engineered to meet military MIL-STD-810 standards for reliability and performance under extreme conditions,[5] namely for temperature, altitude, humidity, dust, shock and vibration. The notebooks feature a magnesium alloy chassis, anodized aluminum lid and palm rests, spill-resistant keyboards, active hard-drive protection and dual pointing devices (touchpad and pointing stick).

I recently bought an iPad as 'everyone' is using them - BIG Mistake ! I can only save to Documents, Pictures, Music and Video Folders... Apple have really screwed down on what can be done with the iPad - as a 'Power User' I (Me, myself) find this untenable - I do 'outside' work but cannot set-aside a Folder, to store that 'outside' stuff - away from my personal stuff...

At least with Windows I can divide up my hard drive space so others can access my shared stuff WITHOUT any access to my personal stuff.

Of course you may be happy to accept Apples Restrictions...

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Sep 28, 2015
  15. danielle davidson

GearZ

I went with Apple notebooks for the last two units because:

• They were thin and light weight. The one I have now, a MacBook Air, is unbelievably easy to carry.
    • I liked the "just works" factor of Mac OS X over the varying degrees of obnoxiousness that Windows provides.
    • I don't need Windows apps for 95%+ of the "on the road" work I do. For that small percent I do, Boot Camp is fast and easy.
    • There are less security issues and hassles with the OS.
    • Some of the built in apps are really hand for when traveling.

GearZ, Oct 26, 2015
  16. danielle davidson

KO6153

I chose apple because of its elegance, the simplicity of it (Basically how easy it was to use), and its "secret" functions. These functions were not actually secret, but they are not well known to the Apple Society. I know people say that Android is simply better, but I don't know about that. Even if that was true, Apple has something that Android doesn't: the one unknown characteristic that simply keeps customers coming back for more.

KO6153, Jan 20, 2016
  17. danielle davidson

vinaya

I experience with Apple computers was very short lived. However, it was just like love in the first sight. Currently, I am using Windows, however, my laptop needs a replacement soon,the battery does not have a long backup and the laptop fan makes noise. When I am ready for another laptop, it will be Apple

vinaya, Jan 22, 2016
  18. danielle davidson

MikeyTheFatKat

I chose Apple because of its speed. As soon as I click something, it opens. There is no wait time or load time. When I go to google and type in a search or website, it immediately brings me to the page. Some of my friends have Windows computers and it consistently takes them longer to open website and applications.

MikeyTheFatKat, Jan 26, 2016
  19. danielle davidson

rz3300

Well I have to say that I was rather fortunate because I received my first Apple computer for free, and that is really the reason why I chose to buy my second Apple laptop. The place I worked for gave me the first one, and I had always been a PC guy but this one really changed my opinion. I still my Dell and that is what I use for work, but when it comes to play I use my Apple.

rz3300, Feb 21, 2016
  20. danielle davidson

Corzhens

My husband is in the process of finalizing his plan to purchase a new laptop. I know that he dreams of getting a Macbook but that will remain a dream unless we hit the lotto jackpot. One dealer he inquired from gave a quotation of more than $2,000 that is good for video editing. With an IBM type like Acer of HP (mine is an HP) it is in the market for less than $1,000. So I guess there is no competition when it comes to cost.

Corzhens, Feb 21, 2016
Ask a Question