Why couldn't Acer...

Discussion in 'Linux' started by crispian, Sep 8, 2008.

1. crispian

crispian

...have just provided us with a recovery usb stick in the box?

I mean, it would cost them what- $5? Instead we have to either find (or have) a USB DVD drive (something I bet few of us have access to), or search around 'til we can find a computer that will allow us to make one without throwing up the dreaded "error 39".

I had the "disappearing Network Manager" problem and it seemed the only way to fix it was to reinstall Linpus. Now I don't mind doing a reinstall when I've screwed something up (and I usually do manage to screw up new distros when I first get my hands on them- can't keep from digging under the hood to see how they tick), and I'll even give them this one as this is a new machine, but did it have to be this difficult? I had to trek to Staples today to find a 2GB stick as I didn't have one hanging around to use (PNY 3 pack of 2GB sticks), then it took 4 computers before I could find one that would do it without throwing error 39 at me ( neither of my desktops worked, nor did my Thinkpad- finally dug out an old Toshiba Satellite that did it).

Once I had the stick the reinstall was a piece of cake, in fact it was so smooth that now I have the stick to work from and I know how easy it is, I shall really give Linpus a work-over as I'm unafraid of breaking it.

BUT- it would have been so much easier if Acer had included a recovery USB stick along with (or instead of) the DVD. I bet they'll get a lot returned when people either get something like the the Network Manager thing that happened to me, or they manage to screw something up on their own, and then they can't create a USB stick to get themselves back. If anyone from Acer is out there- do yourselves (and all of us) a favor- and start putting a recovery stick in the box!

crispian, Sep 8, 2008
  2. crispian

criskeune

I am asking this same question too. I want to install Windows XP because I really have "issues" with Linux, since this OS is not very "user freindly", at least for me. But I am afraid of possible drivers problems/bad or slow perfomance, and I will only do this when I would have a ready USB pen drive for Linux recovery .... I still have to buy two pen drives for that: one for XP and other for Linux, and I am still afraid to make these bootable pen drives without messing my HP Pavillon Laptop ....

criskeune, Sep 14, 2008
  3. crispian

dattaway

I'm sure someone patented the idea. In many countries. Its a real mess for an engineer to sort legal issues of any new feature out.

dattaway, Sep 14, 2008
  4. crispian

SbM

Which is /A LOT/ more than what a CD costs them...

SbM, Sep 14, 2008
Ask a Question