Why can't iI install retail Snow Leopard on my AOD 150?

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by smarcin, Oct 26, 2009.

1. smarcin

smarcin

I'm new to this forum, but not new to OS X. I have installed both Leopard and Snow Leopard to my Dell Mini 9. I used the retail DVDs in both cases, using the Netbook BootMaker. That is, I have an iMac. So, you "restore" the DVD to a USB drive and run the Netbook Maker on the same USB drive. Then you boot up the USB drive and install. It is very simple, works great. Well, I figured I would set up my AOD 150 to dual boot Windows 7 and Snow Leopard. Not. I have tried numerous ways listed over on the MyDellMini forum. But I still can't get Snow Leopard to install. What happens to me, is that I get about 1-2 minutes into the install of Snow Leopard, and I get a screen that says I must reboot my computer. Then, of course, nothing works. I tried formatting under Windows 7 and later under Snow Leopard. I finally gave up and "zeroed" the drive from Snow Leopard. I get the same result. I tried both the USB drive way and the newer NetBookCD way. NetBookCD is an iso that you can download and burn to a disk. Then you boot with that, take it out and put in the Snow Leopard retail DVD. That is so that you don't have to put Snow Leopard on a USB drive, but instead you use an external DVD drive. And, yes, I've tried 2 different external DVD drives. I get the same result. A minute or 2 into the installation, I get the same screen, saying you must reboot. Oh, and yes, I'm using a full Snow Leopard disk, not the upgrade disk. My next step is to try and load Windows 7 on and see if that works. The only change I have made to my D150 is to swap the RAM to a 2GB stick, which is seen by OS X correctly. Ultimately, I'd love to dual-boot with Windows 7 and perhaps also put Ubuntu or another flavor of Linux on my D150. I have an existing Averatec laptop that I have made dual-boot XP Pro and Ubuntu, so I understand how bootloaders work. I am not afraid of the command line, whether in Unix or Windows. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

smarcin, Oct 26, 2009
Ask a Question