whoa..bezel is easily scratched apparently

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by atarione, Sep 2, 2008.

1. atarione

atarione

whoa...man what the heck did acer make the bezel on these things out of? .... take care I guess as some how it seems a micro fiber cloth (safe for all LCD monitors) managed to scratch the bezel of my A110 a bit...luckily it hasn't scratched the screen so I'll live ... I suppose in fairness I'd live either way :D

man I didn't expect that (obviously??) however ...meh as long as the screen stays intact I didn't buy this thing to sit in a museum someday.. and the scratches are very small (next to impossible to see) . Just curious have any of ya'll ended up with little fine scratches around the bezel?

and i guess as a public service announcement for people that might take scratching the bezel less well....be careful i guess?

atarione, Sep 2, 2008
  2. atarione

Sid

You are right the bezel is very easily scratched.

To be honest the bezel is a bit too glossy :)
    I may well remove it and give it a sample of what ultra fine wet and dry paper can do.
    If that doesn't work it may get a bit of powder blasting.

Sid, Sep 2, 2008
  3. atarione

unhookmybra

Here's the thing: I was rubbing some lotion before bed...around my legs and arms. Suddenly, a light bulb idea came on top of my head. I said to myself, "hmmm...lotion huh...why not rub some lotion on AA1 too." So I rubbed a tiny tiny dot of Jergens Skin Firming Lotion (blue container) around the black bezel and spread it liberally all around, except the webcam area of course. After a few rubs using the tip of my fingertip, the lotion smudges should almost disappear. You can rub the smudges in circular motion then for a final rub, in one straight line to make it look neater. The lotion will act as a barrier to any rough surface that comes in to contact with the bezel.

Good things to use:
    clean fingertips with no cracks or bumps on skin surface
    extra soft tissue paper to rub the smudges
    Jergens Skin Firming lotion (no oil)

Bad things to use:
    nasty, bumpy, and cracky fingertip surface
    Any lotions with oil content in it

Final result: My AA1 is all silky smooth now and just as sexy as me :D

unhookmybra, Sep 2, 2008
  4. atarione

atarione

well I'm sorry yours is also scratched (bezel) but happy i'm not just a hopeless retard that is the only one w/ fine scratches on my bezel :D

yeah the screen / bezel is more glossy than is ideal in my view... it is a royal pain in the behind clean...

meh such is life I guess

atarione, Sep 2, 2008
  5. atarione

atarione

HAHAHAHA I'll have to ask the wife if I can borrow some of her lotion apparently ...BAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHA

atarione, Sep 2, 2008
  6. atarione

pinchez

Yeah i managed to scuff my A110 with a soft spectacle cloth, It wasn't noticeable unless light was shining on it, then it looked a mess :shock:

I haven't wiped the bezel of my new A150 at all yet and i won't until there's a way of doing so without scratching.

pinchez, Sep 2, 2008
  7. atarione

lossfizzle

Have any of you scratched your bezel using microfiber and a (safely / sensibly) wet screen? I'm curious.

lossfizzle, Sep 2, 2008
  8. atarione

billr

hi
    Thanks for the warning...I've got some finger print smudges on the bezel and was looking for any suitable cleaning solutions
    Don't know what to do...any recommendations welcome...until then Ill leave it as it's only noticable from certain angles.

The bezel should've been covered with something more practical

billr, Sep 2, 2008
  9. atarione

atarione

in my case the microfiber cloth was sensibly damp and still put fine scratches on the bezel (not screen thank god... man I would be TICKED :D )

but I have nooooo idea what one needs to use to clean the bezel w/out scratching really... if a wet microfiber cloth scratches it.....

atarione, Sep 2, 2008
  10. atarione

billr

it's ridiculous! wtf is the bezel coated with?? evidence of a rushed jib.....they missed out a couple hrs in the drying chamber and we have a soft surface to conternd with... :roll:

billr, Sep 2, 2008
  11. atarione

billr

Hi

Just by accident happen to wash my hands before typing - dried hands of course but they were just slightly damp/moist so I ran my finger round the bezel targeting the fingerprints -no rubbing ,just wiped the grease smudges...it worked! I have got a clean bezel..use soft tip of finger....

That gives me an idea - what about cotton buds - dipped in water or the stuff used for screen wipe that evapurates after use?

billr, Sep 3, 2008
  12. atarione

ricaird

Pics?

ricaird, Sep 3, 2008
  13. atarione

rjm

Thanks for bringing up the issue. I wondered about it, I must say: the plastic looked extremely soft.

I guess it should be treated with the same care as the LCD screen itself: Do not touch. Do not clean unless absolutely necessary. Mild dilute detergent, lint free / microfiber cloth to clean.

rjm, Sep 4, 2008
  14. atarione

atarione

yeah.. it is worse than that myself and a few others used a microfiber cloth (due to concerns about the bezel) and the MICROFIBER F'ing scratched it... it is just poor execution on acer's part... I'm actually a bit bummed by the whole deal..

meh.. it is only in really bright light that they (the scratches are very visable) but still this simply shouldn't be happening. I guess maybe rev 2.0 buyers will benefit (by harder / more resilient bezel materials) mean while us rev 1 people will have scratched to heck bezels :D and we will damn well like it???? (as I can't think of any reasonable way to fix it ..and I doubt acer is going to send us all new AA1's or even bezels...)

atarione, Sep 4, 2008
  15. atarione

glasshock

?

Just a thought guys ......but, do you ever get a chance to use your net-book for anything at all related to it's intended purpose?

Or does it just get rubbed, drooled over and generally pampered? You know when you eventually have to let them out into the big bad world on their own..... etc. :D

Ok ...... scrub all that I've just said as my tiny brain has managed to remind me that My camera equipment is cleaner than when first purchased....also, my car and motorcycle look like they are due a visit from royalty!

I also used hand cream to run through the hood drainage of my old MG Midget..... :?

Sorry........rub away!!!!

glasshock, Sep 4, 2008
  16. atarione

atarione

well technically since I have the Linpus A110 basically no...most of the stuff I do with mine is not what acer apparently intended :D (vpn back to office) VNC ...umm Opera installed counter strike 1 /w Wine ..etc various other non intended / supported apps.

I only posted it cause i figured some people might be hella bummed (i was in honestly kinda bummmed myself) when their soft microfiber cloth scratched the hell out of the bezel.

meh... anyone had a go w/ something like this????? http://www.novuspolish.com/

alright back to rubbing my A110 with a EVEN SOFTER microfiber cloth :D

atarione, Sep 4, 2008
  17. atarione

Kalison

Yeah the bezel gets scratches easily and there isnt much protection on the touch pad.

I only bought my One on the Friday of Laborday weekend... and its already getting shiny (not from oils, I have cleaned it properly). The paint is going to wear down in the next week for sure. <sigh>

Kalison, Sep 4, 2008
  18. atarione

glasshock

I mentioned that I used to have an old MG midget.... I also had one of the early MX5s. Now, the rear window was made of clear plastic and when the roof was in the down position the plastic window would fold together and hide below the folded roof. So.... if dirty the clear plastic would eventually get scratched and I mean, real scratched!
    I tried everything........everything I could think of to remove the scratches failed. I’m in the glass industry and tried all the products that we use to remove scratches....... but all failed!

I was then told by an old car enthusiast that there is only one product that will remove the scratches...............Chrome polish!!!!

I still use it to this day...... my Blackberry, Nokia and iPod all get the old man’s treatment............ works every time.

Obviously depends on the method / cloth used but for sure.......I would have no problem using it on the ONE except it’s just been stolen! :cry: ... replacement here at the weekend..... Will keep you posted.

Happy rubbing, and if I find the little shit that stole my car from Phuket Beach ...... he'll be requiring some rubbing of his own!

glasshock, Sep 4, 2008
  19. atarione

atarione

chrome polish???? I've seen people saying this works... I'm honestly a bit hesitant (I'm afraid of making matters worse)...MAYBE I SHOULD JUST KEEP THIS THING OUT OF BRIGHT BACK LIGHTING :D then I will never see the scratches.

I'm very sorry indeed to hear some bastard stole you AA1 :x thieves are shite indeed... I need to look into linux stolen lappy tracking software options... just in case some punk every runs off w/ mine.

atarione, Sep 4, 2008
  20. atarione

glasshock

Yeah ....thanks.

We all know .... but we still do!

I left my bag in the car for 5 minutes whilst I ran into the local 7 - 11.

When I came out ..... Car, bag, Acer, ipod, Blackberry, passport, work permit, wallet, C/Cards...... I stopped counting!

Like I said, we all know but........ a fool and his bellongings are easily parted. ;)

Anyway.......I came here at the age of 28 for two months ! ...I've now been in Thailand now for 10 years and never had a problem until now.

Rather an extreme way to upgrade but anyway......... you have to look on the bright side. .... whoever stole my One.... has a scratched bezel :lol:

Take care all!!!

glasshock, Sep 4, 2008
Ask a Question