which would you choose - the 3 or 6 cell

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Orion1, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Orion1

Orion1

Hello-
    I just bought a 3 cell Acer Aspire One 10" because the price was good and I wanted something mobile and easy to take with me. I thought I was buying the 6 cell one (the salesperson told me it was the 6 cell, and you can't see from the box what's actually in it). I am now wondering if I should take it back and get the 6 cell or just keep it and buy an after market 6 or 9 cell if I want more time?
    Thoughts and experiences?

Orion1, Jul 30, 2009
  2. Orion1

garrovick

Take it back, then check to see if there is a six cell, if not then just "go back home" if you are happy with it.

garrovick, Jul 30, 2009
  3. Orion1

Orion1

Actually, after reading how much the battery will stick out with the 6-9 cells, I think I will keep what I have and look into buying the 6 or 9 cell. There is a lot of talk about the different MAH sizes - I want the best bang for my buck - how can I get the most battery life - what should I look for?
    Thanks1

Orion1, Jul 30, 2009
  4. Orion1

donec

IMO you should take it back and get the 6 cell. We had the same situation with my wifes AA1 and returned it for the 6 cell one. The cost of the 6 cell battery is about a third of the cost of the AA1 and there are a lot of third party batteries being sold that don't work or last. Also the size difference is not so much and gives a better grip on the computer when carrying it.

donec, Jul 30, 2009
  5. Orion1

ashram

i bought a blue 3 cell, my wife had a red 6 cell with bluetooth....

now i have a 6 cell with bluetooth and she has a 3 cell. :roll:

she would have NEVER used bluetooth, and i told her that i was paying the extra for hers so i could have the 6 cell, and she was fine with that.
    since i use mine A LOT more, it worked out for both of us.... well, her mostly as i paid for both! :shock:

so, GO SIX CELL!
    it's cheaper upfront than buying a 3 cell and later the six, unless you want both batteries.

ashram, Jul 30, 2009
  6. Orion1

Forone

The thing to remember is that Day 1 performance is not Month 8 performance. If, like me, you're using the machine plugged in at your armchair most of the time, it makes little difference (of course you don't want to have paid a 6 cell price for a 3 cell machine.) But after a half-year of ownership, the three cell is down to about 1.5 hours of battery life. If your plan is to rely on the battery life for commuting or travel, go for the bigger battery. Also, don't bet on getting a cheap after market equivalent - my personal experience with eBay type batteries for other laptops has been quite bad, and I don't have much faith in grey market substitutes for Acer batteries. The discount replacement batteries just didn't have the build quality and despite their Day 1 specifications they wore out much faster than the manufacturer's batteries. By and large, you get what you pay for.

Forone, Jul 31, 2009
Ask a Question