Which version of NetBookBootmaker for D250? *SOLVED*

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by TonyMontana, Dec 16, 2009.

1. TonyMontana

TonyMontana

Hello all. I'm trying to nail down which combo of things to use with a D250 and Netbookboot maker. I have tried the following OSX10.5.6 w/0.8.3.RC3 and 0.8.3.RC4. It gets stuck in an endless boot when trying to boot off the USB. I have tried the same combo with 10.6 it got half way through and and it crashes. Are there any special BIOS settings I am missing? The only thing in BIOS I changes was to tell the machine to boot off the USB. I AM STUCK I have got the Dell 1510 installed and working but that's it.

Tools to use:
    I have a Mac w/10.6.2, a 8GB USB stick, DVD of 10.5.6, DVD of 10.6, Acer Aspire ONE D250-1962, and am trying to follow the steps here: (the USB method) http://osx.mechdrew.com/guides/nbi1.shtml

Can anyone PLEASE share their success story with is method?

TonyMontana, Dec 16, 2009
  2. TonyMontana

TonyMontana

Re: Which version of NetBookBootmaker for D250?

My D250 is now running 10.6.1 Flawlessly! (only thing that doesn't work is the internal mic) Only took 30 damn hours of work and research :D :D :D

EDIT: Fbomb I have random KP's updated Safari and itunes only and BAM! KP's....

TonyMontana, Dec 16, 2009
  3. TonyMontana

TonyMontana

Well I'm successfully at 10.6.2 no Kernel Panic's. No internal mic, I'm not going to mess with it yet. I get 2 hours of use streaming media on it's little tiny 3cell battery. I haven't Updated Safari or iTunes and I don't think I'm going to. It seems stable. I can post my procedures and Kext used if anyone is alive on this board and is interested.

TonyMontana, Dec 17, 2009
  4. TonyMontana

gb10

I am alive out here! I would be interested to hear what changes you had to make. I to have a AAOD250-1165. I picked it up at Target a few weeks ago when they had them on sale for 200bucks. I loaded 10.6 using the same method you did. I did not run in to any kernel panics during the install. It wasn't until I had the system up and running that I ran in to it. After some research (and examining the panic strings) I found that you have to remove the battery manager kext. Something like ACPIbatterymanager.kext . I can find the complete name if you need it. I just loaded the Voodoo power manger and the system has been rock solid. I haven't tested the microphone. I will have to do that. As far as I know everything else just works!
    I have been fighting Hibernation and sleep. I can not get either one to work. closing the lid or selecting sleep from the menu does the same thing. Cause the system to shutdown and reboot. Have you or anyone figured out how to get sleep to work?

This is going to be a gift for my stepdaughter. I think she is really go to dig this! :)

Thanks
    GB

gb10, Dec 17, 2009
  5. TonyMontana

TonyMontana

I actually had to remove the battery to even get NetBookMaker RC4 to install 10.6. I thought the VoodooHDA was causing my KP's at first. I had zero panic logs which was weird as hell. I never removed that kext you mentioned but I did install the voodoopowermini.kext I wonder if the one installed take precedence over the ACPIbatterymanager.kext. There are like 5 VoodooHDA's floating around I just chose a random one. I have repaired permissions and ran NBI RC4 with reboots before and after the 10.6.2 upgrade. As for now I'm not messing with the sleep issue. I have set everything to never in the power settings. Screen saver comes on after 10min and is good enough for now. I have a kext that is supposed to fix the internal mic but I am afraid to install it for fear of kernel panics. If I knew more about installing them and removing them I'd try it. I put about 10 kext in total I found on another site. It is hard to tell which kext belong to 10.5 and which belong to 10.6. Freakin' kext nightmare! Have you updated the software through software update yet? Like safari and itunes? If so, any hiccups and how did you do it.

I'm glad someone is alive out there and using a D250 with 10.6.x!!!!

6. TonyMontana

TonyMontana

GB10,

How did you remove that kext, just drag it to the trash? The VoodooHDA I have now is the 537kb sized one. I am also using a HP Wireless 1510 BCM94322HM8L 4324A-BRCM1031 802.11 bgn for a wifi card $12.99 shipped from ebay.

7. TonyMontana

gb10

Here is what I have in /Extra/GeneralExtensions

drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 136 Dec 5 16:14 AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Dec 5 16:14 AppleIntelGMA950.kext
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 170 Dec 5 16:14 AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 136 Dec 5 16:14 ApplePS2Controller.kext
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Dec 5 16:14 IO80211Family.kext
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Dec 5 16:14 IOATAFamily.kext
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Dec 5 16:14 IOUSBFamily.kext
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Dec 5 16:14 NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Dec 5 16:14 OpenHaltRestart.kext
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Dec 5 16:14 SMBIOSResolver.kext
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Dec 5 16:14 SleepEnabler.kext
    drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 Dec 5 16:11 VoodooHDA.kext
    drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 Dec 5 16:25 _VoodooBattery.kext
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Dec 5 16:14 fakesmc.kext

Now I am trying to remember, did I add the VoodooHDA myself or did Netbookmaker /netbookinstaller do that? I will have to look at my notes. If you want to try the version I have, I can upload some where so you can download it.

Have you been to this site? http://tinyurl.com/yz647ht Good place for Snow Leopard drivers.

So the kext I removed was AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext
    to remove the kext I moved it to another folder and then ran the UpdateExtra from the /Extra folder to rebuild the Extensions.mkext
    I created a Disabled-extensions fold within /Extra and moved the kext in there. You could just delete it, but moving it, to me is a saver option.

If your /Extra folder is not visible you can run netbookinstaller again and there is an option to make the /Extra folder visible. Or you can use the Finder Go menu, select Go to Folder and then type /Extra and that should open up the /Extra folder.
    so for me I opened the terminal, Changed directory to /Extra

So I just tried the Microphone, it did not work. Please share any info you have on how to make it work.

gb10, Dec 18, 2009
  8. TonyMontana

gb10

I didn't have much luck with the wired or wireless Ethernet. I ordered a Dell card from ebay. I am still waiting on it to show up. In the mean time I am using a Trendnet 54mbps Wireless G USB Adapter. TEW-424UB. Works pretty well, not the fastest thing out there but better than nothing.

This is what I ordered and am waiting on Used Dell wireless 1510 mini PCI-E half size card wlan .

The built in Ethernet is a Attansic but it is different than either of the two kexts that are currently floating around out there. (the L1 and L1e)

My built in wireless is the broadcom 0x14e4 0x4315 . I could not get the modified kext to attach to it.

I am still using the 160gig hard drive that come with it but I did upgrade the memory to 2 gig.

gb10, Dec 18, 2009
  9. TonyMontana

gb10

Updates
    I updated everything I could with Software update. After which, I could not boot. So I booted up my USB netbookmaker stick that I made and ran netbookinstaller from the pull down menu. After that I was able to boot again.

So in other words, I did the 10.6.2 plus itunes, plus ilife plus safari and what ever else it would like me update all at once. Something in there broke my ability to boot but I fixed it with my bootable usb stick that I used for the install. Pretty handy!

Oh I don't know how familiar you are with the terminal and running commands from the command line, but kextstat is pretty useful it will show you all the kexts that are currently loaded in to memory.

mkextunpack is cool too.
    You can run a man on mkextunpack to get more information
    >man mkextunpack

gb10, Dec 18, 2009
  10. TonyMontana

TonyMontana

I still have this AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext in my S/L/E folder. I'm not handy at all in terminal so I won't venture there! It is good to know that I can run NBI off the USB stick if I get into trouble. I have a backup extensions folder along side my extras folder but no general extensions folder. I used kexthelper to install my kext. I don't understand what the "UpdateExtra" app is or what it does or ow to use it! Is it needed?
    Here is a link for my drop box w/ the kext that is supposed to fix the internal mic. Let me know if this works. Like I said earlier I'm afraid to play with the kext thingy's since I'm not sure how they work too much. If we can hammer out the internal mic and sleep issue we'll be running fine.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2528429/ALC268_ ... ICWORK.zip

TonyMontana, Dec 18, 2009
  11. TonyMontana

gb10

So the way my system is setup is I have my /Extra . Inside of there instead of having a Extensions folder I have a GeneralExtensions folder. Same thing really. That is the way Netbookinstaller 0.8.3 RC4 setup it and I left it that way. During the boot process Chameleon first looks for the Extensions.mkext inside /Extra. An .mkext file is a cache of all your extensions or another way to think of it is all your extensions are squished together in one file. The bootloader uses the mkext file if it finds one. If it finds one it does not look in side of the /Extra/Extensions (or in my case /Extra/GeneralExtensions) for kexts. It reads all the kexts from the mkext file.

Apple has made a gui to look at the contents of mkext files. https://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/ ... ttool.html Try it out. It does that some thing as that mkextunpack I listed earlier but with a gui interface.

So Netbookinstaller and netbookmaker do things a little bit different than a normal Hackintosh install. He (Meklort) is using a RAM disk to build the /Extra/Extensions.mkext so that it includes or is made up of all the Extensions in /Extra/GeneralExtensions AND all kexts in /System/Library/Extensions . And that is what the UpdateExtra application does. It builds the /Extra/Extensions.mkext file. In a normal Hackintosh install you would use something like kext helper or kext util or OSX tools or even kextcache from the command line to re-generate the /Extra/Extensions.mkext file after you have make any changes to kexts with in /Extra/Extensions (or /Extra/GeneralExtensions in my case)

I will try out that zip file you listed in your last message and let you know.

I am going to try researching Sleep/Hibernate some more this weekend. I will let you know If I get anywhere.

gb10, Dec 19, 2009
  12. TonyMontana

TonyMontana

gb10,
    You are a fountain of knowledge. Thank you for all the insight. I'm wondering if there are two different kext needed for the internal mics. In my audio midi app it list the 1/8" stereo jack mic but not the other mic. I might have the 1/8" running but I have no way or need to test it. I guess If we new the make and model of the internal mic we could head over to some other forums and see if anyone else has the mic in a different make of laptop that has it up and running in 10.6 The sleep issue would be awesome to figure out as well. I built the D250 for my wife for Christmas. I bought it on craigslist for $100 ( it's pink, and this college kid was mad his parents bought him a pink netbook!) I'm in $112.99 w/ the airport card right now! She killed her ibook, and a PC environment is too hard for her to maintain.
    Sleep will help extend the life of it, she forgets to power it off quite often. Let me know if that kext works. Tony

TonyMontana, Dec 19, 2009
  13. TonyMontana

gb10

I tried out that kext for audio. No go for input or output. I will have to research it more. If you see any more that might work, send them my way.

I am still looking in to the sleep/hibernate. I am thinking it might have something to do with the dsdt file. NBM/NBI is suppose to make one as part of the install, but I can not locate it. I do not see it in my / root partition, or /Extra or even on the EFI partition. I am going to generate one by hand and see if I can make any sense of it. If you come across anyone that has a dsdt file for the D250 let me know.

gb10, Dec 20, 2009
  14. TonyMontana

TonyMontana

gb10,
    I think there is a bug in NBI 0.8.3 RC4 that has issues generating the dsdt file. The new release of NBI RC5 came out yesterday and is supposed to fix this issue. NBI 0.8.2 Generates the dsdt file correctly I have been told. I'll keep poking around.

TonyMontana, Dec 20, 2009
  15. TonyMontana

velayo

I got my computer to hibernate with no crashes. However, the computer will restart and go all the way from off to the desktop with no issues. However, the computer will restart itself after the whole desktop is loaded. There is definetely something wrong with the dsdt file. Wish I knew how to create one and patch it so that it could work.

velayo, Dec 25, 2009
  16. TonyMontana

SomniusX

If you guys find out the proper stuff for the dsdt and sleep.. man! It's going to be awesome! :p

SomniusX, Dec 27, 2009
  17. TonyMontana

Stefx82

Hi guys,

I have an AOD250-1DK and definitively want to have OSX 10.6 running on it.
    I will try to install it following your method (Netbookbotmaker RC4).

I will also try to have a triple-boot (OSX, Ubunutu NBR (my current default OS) and win7).

I'll let you know...

Thanks for your comments on Netbookmaker install.

Stefx82, Dec 28, 2009
  18. TonyMontana

Stefx82

So here are my first results :

- Installation is very simple with NetbookBootMaker 0.8.3 version (uploaded DEC 26th on http://code.google.com/p/netbook-installer/downloads ) and Snow Leopard Install DVD.
    - No errors or kernel panic during install.
    - WLAN was working out of the box, i made the apple update to 10.6.2 using WLAN. No errors or kernel panic.
    - Sound was not working out of the box, i have installed VoodooHDA.kext and now output sound work. Microphone still do not work.
    - Webcam works out of the box.
    - Keyboard special keys for sound and brightness work out of the box.

I will search know for mic (any ALSA OSX drivers available?), touchpad scrolling and test other features as hibernate, etc.

Thanks again for your previous messages that helped me alot.

Stefx82, Dec 28, 2009
  19. TonyMontana

TonyMontana

Awesome work Stefx82! My touch pad scrolling is working just fine after I went into the system preferences and set it up. I wish there were more of us D250 users at 10.6.2 to solve some of the little stuff. Keep us posted.

TonyMontana, Dec 28, 2009
  20. TonyMontana

Stefx82

Yes, scrolling is working fine, SD card reader too.

I've tested some drivers for audio in (mic) but nothing seems to work yet.

The other remaining issue of my setup here is the "sleep" mode support. When i force the "sleep" mode or simply close down the screen panel,
    the computer reboot instead of entering sleep mode... Do I have to use a specific kext for ACPI ?

It is pretty cool to have 10.6.2 running on the AOD250. The 1280x720 resolution is fine for OSX.

OSX is more fluid and 'quicker' than windows 7 on this AOD250, but I must admit that I get the best performances with Ubunutu Netbook Remix 9.10.
    Common applications (Chrome, thunderbird, openoffice) launch and run quicker in UNR, mic in and spleep modes are also working fine with UNR...

Anyway OSX is OSX and it cannot be compared with windows or ubunutu ;-)

Stefx82, Dec 28, 2009
Ask a Question