Which partitions are safe to be removed?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Zequez, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Zequez

Zequez

Well, I bought my Acer Aspire One with Windows 7, but I will install Ubuntu Netbook remix...

So, I have the Acer Recovery with 30gb of disk usage, the System Recovery with only 100mb of disk usage, and the partition with Windows 7...

What is the Acer Recovery partition for? Windows 7?
    What is the System Recovery for?

Can I backup the data of those partitions so I can totally format the disk?

Thanks ^^

Zequez, Aug 18, 2010
  2. Zequez

Swarvey Moderator

The Acer recovery partition is the one used for D2D recovery. It's accessed via the BIOS and is used to recovery the other two partitions to an out-of-box state.

The 100Mb partition is created by Windows 7 upon a clean install to a drive which has not yet been partitioned. In other words, if you're installing Windows 7 to a hard drive that already has a compatible NTFS partition, the 100Mb partition won't be created. The remainder of the drive is set aside for Windows 7, your data and other normal storage.

If you want to install another OS, I'd say you can safely delete all bar the recovery paritition. But, be warned, if you ever try to use the D2D recovery, you may get errors about incorrect partitions on the drive. As far as I know, the recovery software won't re-paritition the drive for you, so you may want to make a note of the sizes etc.

I haven't played with an AAO that came with Windows 7 pre-installed yet, so I can't say for 100% certainty that the recovery partition will still work after erasing any other partitions, best bet if it's available, create some restore disks.

Swarvey, Aug 18, 2010
Ask a Question