Which Os would you recommend

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by me075064, May 19, 2009.

?

Which OS would you recommend

1. Stay with Ubuntu

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Go back to Linpus

19.1%
  3. Try Windows XP

6.4%
  4. Try Windows 7

42.6%
  5. Try a different Linux Version

31.9%
  1. me075064

me075064

Hi all.

I've been trying Ubunto 9.04 (netbook version) on my AA1 and blogging about my thoughts on it, and whilst I like the interface and the power it brings, it is signficantly slower then the version of Linpus that came with the AA1. I also enjoyed playing with Linpus to get the best out of it.

So I thought I would ask everyone here what OS they would recommend.

At the moment I am leaning towards moving back to Linpus as it did everything I need - although not always in the easiest way, but if anyone can recommend an OS then it would be great to hear your suggestions. :D

I've put a poll on this topic to make it easy to collate the results.

Many thanks
    John M
    http://netbook-experience.blogspot.com/

me075064, May 19, 2009
  2. me075064

Einsamkeit

It all depends on what you intend to do with said netbook.
    For some, WinXP is the right one, for others it's Ubuntu, and so forth.

But hmm, I've heard good from Arch Linux, I wanted to give it a try but then everything worked fine with UNR so I thought "Why changing something that already fits?".

One thing about Ubuntu Netbook Remix: have you tweaked it a bit? There are misused ressources depending on your hardware, for example, the AAO (or at least the one I have) doesn't have Bluetooth capabilities yet UNR runs a service to manage it, disabling things like that can make you recuperate some serious ressources.

How's Linpus? Mine came with Windows XP and I switched directly to UNR when 9.04 came out so I never got to try it.

Einsamkeit, May 20, 2009
  3. me075064

OldPhil

I have often thought of trying other OS's Linpus has caught my attention, but what makes me think twice is the hassles with drivers and that they for the most part have trouble in one way or another with many main stream apps. I know a lot of people running all sorts of stuff and hear the same gripes, it seems to me that many consider it a challenge not to have to run main stream OS's. I like being able to turn on my machines and just have them work with little input from me, yes like most I do fiddle with things. I dump stuff I will never use and do known tweaks that work and cause no issues, other then that I like being an XP "Plug & Play" guy!

Phil

OldPhil, May 20, 2009
  4. me075064

larkim

Linpus is still doing it for me. I am a MS boy through and through, used MS-DOS 5.0 upwards.

But for simplicity of use (using the AOA for what it is intended for) I've been delighted with Linpus. I actually like the way that it doesn't try to copy XP or Ubuntu with the current paradigm of a "start button" with cascading menus. There are 12 things on the desktop, and that's more than I will need to use the AOA for internet browsing, receiving mails and watching a few movies. If I want to I can type out docs and view spreadsheets, but that will be a rarity. And there are some games to keep me from boredom.

There are a couple of very specific apps that I would like to be able to run on it - GSAK (which is a geocaching application - having a netbook loaded with caches would be perfect in the field) and a printer driver for my wifi Olivetti printer (but I can take the blame for picking such an odd printer!).

But other than that, I can't ask for any more - its quick, useable, and does "exactly what it says on the tin". (and dirt cheap!)

Matt

larkim, May 20, 2009
  5. me075064

me075064

Hi all,

There's some really good points there :D , Linpus does exactly what it's supposed to do and does it well, but it Ubuntu would be great if it was just a little quicker, so I'll look into optimising it.

As an aside I'm really into Geocaching so I might try and get GSAK working on WINE.

Cheers all

me075064, May 20, 2009
  6. me075064

RockDoctor

It depends. For those whose needs are met by Linpus, I recommend keeping Linpus. I've tried Fedora, Ubuntu, Mandriva, Puppy, Kuki, Crunchbang, and Moblin on my AA1; each has its idiosyncrasies. If you're not Linux-literate, your Linux guru's favorite distro is probably the way to go. For me, at this moment, the Fedora 11 Preview delivers the most bang for the hassle.

RockDoctor, May 20, 2009
  7. me075064

me075064

Hi all.

It looks like Windows xp it is then.
    I'll do the install at the weekend and see how it goes,I'll plug a usb cd drive in and boot from disc to do the install.

Cheers
    John M

me075064, May 27, 2009
  8. me075064

T1nmaN

make sure that you strip out all unnecessary features, and run flashpoint.
    I am running avira, and it seems way faster than AVG for antivirus.

T1nmaN, May 28, 2009
  9. me075064

bugtussle

Im back to running Linpus and glad to have everything working again. Its fast and hibernate works well for a quick boot. I use my AA1 with 8 gig SSD out on the road in my truck and when I tried UNR I found that the desktop theme was so dark turd brown that I couldn't even see the screen out in the daylight. Ive tried Crunchbang, Xubuntu 9.04, Windows 7(now running on a Lenovo S10 and Love it!)and all were slower than Linpus with problems too. One thing I really appreciate about Linpus is that it uses the left side SD card slot to add to the hard drive space. Thanks for starting the thread, I had been wondering how many folks were happy with Linpus.

bugtussle, May 28, 2009
  10. me075064

NaplesBill

I just picked up an AOD250 a few days ago. One of the first things I did was install Windows 7 RC1. I have to say it runs incredibly well IMO. I am also experimenting with OSX86 but so far Windows 7 has been the best. I do plan on upgrading from 1gb to 2gb of RAM (best update on the D250 is ability to use 2gb). However, even with the 1gb it shipped with I am really surprised how well it performs. Of course, I have no intentions of trying to use this device to decode/encode movies or anything else that requires some serious horsepower.

NaplesBill, May 28, 2009
  11. me075064

me075064

Hi all
    I've finally made the jump to Windows XP, I originally planned to installed the OS by using my original Windows XP CD, however the install process kept crashing so in the end I ghosted Rons Tiny XP across.

So far I'm very impress and it looks to be very fast.

Cheers
    John M

me075064, Jun 20, 2009
Ask a Question