Which OS will give best performance

Discussion in 'Linux' started by shakermaker, Oct 15, 2009.

1. shakermaker

shakermaker

Hey all,

I have an Aspire One 512Mb, 120Gb, 8.9".

Which OS would give the best performance on this netbook?

TIA

shakermaker, Oct 15, 2009
  2. shakermaker

W0T4N

It depends on what u want to do on your netbook. I use Linux Debian + LXDE and it works perfect. Some people tell you that windows is betteer som that linux is better. It is up to you.
    If you choose linux and never see it you should start with ubuntu or ubuntu netbook remix. It is fine for small netbooks. And you have chance something to learn if you choose linux.
    In my ompinion linux is faster

W0T4N, Oct 16, 2009
  3. shakermaker

Grim Squeaker

As said, it depends on what you wish to do with it. Ubuntu netbook remix is quite good for most general tasks like office work- and at the end of this month they will release a new version with pretty nifty increases in functionality. Ubuntu currently uses more battery power than XP or the stock Linpus though.

Linpus Linux (the default distro on the AAO) is actually quite resource friendly. It is also horribly annoying, making it very hard to update or add programs you want on it. It is also based on Fedora 8 - which is very, very outdated.
    The new Linpus Linux that is said to come out soon and is based on Moblin MIGHT be quite good - but I no longer trust Linpus to deliver on their promises for obvious reasons.

Windows XP has the advantage of it being windows - meaning that most software you already know will run under it. The downside is that it is XP; which is rapidly approaching its end-of-life as far as Microsoft is concerned, and then will stop receiving updates - including security fixes. 512 MB is insuffient for newer windows versions like Vista or Windows 7.

Grim Squeaker, Oct 18, 2009
  4. shakermaker

willie

Puppy linux, it's loading completly into ram even with 512 kb

willie, Oct 18, 2009
  5. shakermaker

Xinês

Yes, Puppy is fast.
    Slitaz is as fast but better looking.
    Either way be carefull because they aren't a good starting point to linux.

A good compromise between performance and usability, although way slower than any of these two, is kuki 2.8 (3.0 should be out after ubuntu karmic).

Xinês, Oct 20, 2009
  6. shakermaker

sdelliott31

I had XP and optimized it by getting rid of services that were not needed and disabling some visual content, Themes, msconfiged, defragged, stuff like that and I put a 500 GB WD HDD in it and upgraded RAM to 1.5GB. That being said, I finally broke down and put Win 7 on it. It takes more resources and RAM than XP, but still good for music, movies and internet. I actually do a lot of typing on mine and ebook reading and Win 7 has the split screen snap feature and just visually more appealing. I have Win 7 on my desktop and I just love it. XP is faster and uses less resources, Win 7 is prettier, does have Ready Boost to help with caching but it is more intensive unless you disable all the visual stuff. I did some but not all. However, for a netbook and what I need, Win 7 does a great job. I wish the graphics controller was a bit stronger on the netbook but I can't complain. I notice I can't play older games on 7 like I could on XP and that is probably the bottleneck of max RAM versus resources that each OS uses.

Good Luck

sdelliott31, Oct 20, 2009
  7. shakermaker

hgh9mrp

There are several distributions of Linux that have been specifically tailored to optimize performance on first and second generation atom-powered netbooks. Some have been suggested in earlier posts while there are some that have not been mentioned at all, possibly because no one who frequents these forums has used them. Some that come to mind are Eeebuntu and EasyPeasy. There is also Moblin, while still in Beta (2.1); it is a very good distribution. Both Ubuntu and Fedora have recently made available their own distributions based on Moblin.

One of the good things about Moblin is that intel is contributing experience and knowledge to the development effort of Moblin. Ask yourself who provides the chips in nearly all of the netbooks sold so far? Answer: intel.

Check it out...
    http://moblin.org/

Cheers.
    :D

hgh9mrp, Oct 22, 2009
  8. shakermaker

cybershrike

I'd give Crunchbang a whirl, I use it and it's pretty damn good. I've not tried Kuki yet but I've got it ready on a USB drive to be installed some point soon.

cybershrike, Oct 29, 2009
  9. shakermaker

lazy_hoor

I've tried the original Linpus, Fedora, Ubuntu, Ubuntu NBR and Crunchbang. I've only just installed Crunchbang but I'm loving it. Quick easy install, and the performace is faster than NBR.

lazy_hoor, Nov 3, 2009
  10. shakermaker

shakermaker

Thanks for the advice guys.

I gave Moblin and Jolicloud (based on UNR) a go, but wasn't impressed.

Have installed Crunchbang Lite, and love it. Not very newb-friendly, but I don't need that. Very quick, customizable and not bloated with software I don't need. Perfect for netbooks.

shakermaker, Nov 20, 2009
  11. shakermaker

Pontificator

How does Crunchbang work on AAO's with SSD?

Does Crunchbang recognize the internal mic? every single distro I've tried so far has not recognized the internal mic.

Pontificator, Dec 2, 2009
  12. shakermaker

damascenodiego

hi guys!

as i like slackware, i'd chose zenwalk 6.2

i'm new in this forum but i would like to tell that zenwalk in my aao it's working so good!

puppy and slax didn't worked good...
    zenwalk is faster than ubuntu NBR and ubuntu desktop edition, it's problably because it uses xfce, that is lighter than gnome and kde...

so this is my tip, zenwalk worked perfectly, except because the brightness.. xD

damascenodiego, Dec 6, 2009
  13. shakermaker

theblacksmoke

hi

I tried to install Ubuntu, but it is very slow on my aaa (perhaps for the 512 MB of RAM)...

I also tried Archone ( based on archlinux), it's very fast and well compatible with my aspire, but is only "live" and I can't install it.. so I'm trying to install archlinux, but it's a bit complicated :(

theblacksmoke, Dec 8, 2009
  14. shakermaker

Grim Squeaker

When choosing how to partition - did you select manual and pick ext2 instead of ext4 as filesystem ?
    Ubuntu is workable on my One with 512 mb. Not as fast as Linpus was, true - especially at boot - but workable.

Grim Squeaker, Dec 17, 2009
  15. shakermaker

Dooms_day

DAMN SMALL LINUX

no seriously, its so small, and fast, (50MB)

then you can add on the packages n stuff u want

Dooms_day, Dec 18, 2009
  16. shakermaker

theblacksmoke

Finally I've installed ArchOne :mrgreen:

anyway thanks for the reply ;)

theblacksmoke, Dec 22, 2009
Ask a Question