Which OS for best battery life ?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Rooster#1, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Rooster#1

Rooster#1

Since bagging the Adsa bargain '150 I've chopped and changed OS's.... but have now come to the conclusion that battery life is THE paramount decision on any portable PC !

Unit came with Linpus... but as a Linux noob, it was all SO "1980s" !! lol then came XP and miniXP, dual boot with 7 beta... and now full blown 7, but the battery life is rubbish.

We had high plans for the computer, but it seems to be running Firefox 98% of the time, so lets get this right !

Which OS would suit us best do you think ?

TIA

Rooster#1, Nov 23, 2009
  2. Rooster#1

melhiore

I had exactly the same problem with couple of OS. Finally - works for me - WindowsXP for good battery performance, Linux for safety... Depends on needs actually...

melhiore, Nov 23, 2009
  3. Rooster#1

Rooster#1

Next question then - TINYxp or bog standard ? IS there a difference in power consumption ?

Rooster#1, Nov 23, 2009
  4. Rooster#1

melhiore

I do not think there is major difference in power consumption. For me full system is better as I have all options available when I need them so I do prefer "normal" systems...

melhiore, Nov 23, 2009
  5. Rooster#1

Rooster#1

This was my thinking... but does no harm to ask ! Maybe someone knows better ?
    Bought a HDD to USB device doodah from a Chinese site, when that arrives Ive my fingers crossed that it will act as an external CD drive - by FAR the easiest way to get an OS onto these things ! ;)

Thanks for the input...

Rooster#1, Nov 24, 2009
  6. Rooster#1

melhiore

It will introduce it self to the system as portable HDD. CD works in bit different way...

melhiore, Nov 24, 2009
  7. Rooster#1

Bloodstar

I'm not sure why 7 would give you worse battery life. 7 seems to be giving me similar, if not slightly improved life over XP.

If you must stick with XP, though... I don't see why you couldn't do a full installation. Unless you're using an SSD/.5-1.5GB RAM model, the space/memory savings don't seem like they would be that great.

...Then again, I tend to have far better luck with these kinda of things.

Bloodstar, Nov 24, 2009
  8. Rooster#1

alun_sundry

£42 for the longer life battery off one particular bunch on eBay seems a good move. If anything, Ubuntu and Xubuntu gave me less battery life, and the other free Oses are a half-finished mess.

alun_sundry, Dec 8, 2009
  9. Rooster#1

ahab

Would DSL give greater battery life, i wonder, as it is 'small'?
    cheers, ahab.

ahab, Jan 1, 2010
  10. Rooster#1

jackluo923

Using internet explorer 8 would give you better battery life than FF. especially with adobe flash contents.

jackluo923, Jan 9, 2010
Ask a Question