Which Operating system?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by c-m, Feb 3, 2009.

1. c-m

c-m

Just got my Acer One today.

Its 512mb (I will upgrade), 120GB HDD version. It came with Windows XP on, but that is for the chop.

I'm searching around at the moment but not sure what OS to install on it.

On my desktop machine I have run Ubuntu for 3 years now (have tried Yoper, Gentoo, Vida linux and debian before). So I guess i'm looking at some flavour of linux for the Acer but I have read confusing reports about which to install. Ubuntu 8.10, Remix, eeeUbuntu, Linux Mint etc..

I want something pretty full featured, i.e open office, all media codecs, vlc, firefox 3, etc..

Can anyone help?

c-m, Feb 3, 2009
  2. c-m

Tamrac

Check out eh Linux sextion of this site. This topic has been discussed many many times. Cheers.

Tamrac, Feb 4, 2009
  3. c-m

donec

Mandriva 2009 Gnome will be the easiest to install and it is a full blown system with all the bells and whistles.

donec, Feb 4, 2009
  4. c-m

Fried_fry

with the 120gb hdd verson you can just re-partition the hdd and just run more then 1 os? currently i have the 160gb model and running WinXP, OSX (on 20gb partition), eeeBuntu (on 20gb partion with a 2gb swap) and both OSX and eeeBuntu running NTFS-3G (from www.ntfs-3g.org) so you can properly read and write to the windows partition for space

Fried_fry, Feb 4, 2009
  5. c-m

c-m

I did search but didn't get very well with the search facility.

Anyone my next problem is that I do not have a USB cd or flash drive.

I have a number of SD cards but the acer cannot boot from them. I have two pc's and a laptop and a printer that have a card reader.

How can I use at least one of these to install ubuntu?

c-m, Feb 4, 2009
Ask a Question