Which one should i buy??

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by presty, May 5, 2009.

1. presty

presty

Im looking into buying an acer aspire one. But im not sure which one i should get. I've only got a maximum of £230 to spend. I only want it to type up documents, have some music on and internet browsing quickly.
    I was looking at the AOA 110 with windows xp at around £170. And then i saw the AOA 150 with windows xp for £230.
    I know the 150 has a bigger memory, but does it have any other advantages over the 110?
    Also are the cheaper Linux versions any good?

presty, May 5, 2009
  2. presty

melhiore

If you need another hobby - go for Linux, if you need computer get WindowsXP... A150 is HDD version so you can store more music, movies, documents etc... More memory - even better...

melhiore, May 5, 2009
  3. presty

donec

It really depends on what you want to do with the computer. First you should understand a netbook is not a game machine, even though some games run fine on it.

The way to choose a computer is to answer the following questions.
    1) What amount of memory and what kind of processor your computer activity will require?
    2) How good is your eye site?
    3) Are you going to travel enough to need a light weight computer?
    4) Do you want an OS that you can configure as you desire?
    5) Do you feel good about using proprietary software?

That is a start to help you see what you need to think of before buying a computer.

If 1 to 1.5 GB of RAM memory and a single core Processor is enough for your purposes then an AAO will work for question #1.

If your eye site is good enough to see and read the text comfortably on an AAO on display at the store the AAO will work for question #2.

If you want a light weight computer then you will be hard put to find a better computer than the AAO so the AAO AAO will work for question #3.

If you want an OS you can configure then I believe Linux and specifically Mandriva would be the best answer.

If the answer to question #5 is yes then you could go with Windows or OS X.

Of course this is all my opinion.

donec, May 6, 2009
  4. presty

presty

thanks for the anwswers. I have narrowed it down to the AOA110. Just not sure on XP or Linux.
    But i went in to a shop the other day and asked about them, and the guy said they are basically the same computer just different software.
    But he reccomended the XP over linux as he said that it is difficult to set up a wireless internet connection with linux. Is this true?

presty, May 9, 2009
  5. presty

melhiore

It's not truth. Wireless connection is the same easy as for Windows applications. You just doing this in bit different way. Problems are with other applications/settings like audio and video codecs, camera and sound in Skype, movie and music players etc. - these are causing much more frustration...

melhiore, May 9, 2009
  6. presty

presty

so there is problems with the programs the linux verion.
    I am going to be using it for college work so i need a quick computer for documents, presentations and internet surfing.

presty, May 9, 2009
  7. presty

melhiore

In that case there is no difference what you get...

melhiore, May 9, 2009
Ask a Question