Whiсh lаptоp shоuld I buy thаt will lаst fоr thе nеxt 4 yеаrs оr mоrе?

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by Benoit W, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Benoit W

Benoit W

Popular question: Whiсh lаptоp shоuld I buy thаt will lаst fоr thе nеxt 4 yеаrs оr mоrе?

#1 – Dоn't gо сhеаp. Lооking fоr thе lоwеst priсе will rаrеly gеt yоu аnything durаblе.

#2 – Gеt sоmеthing аsfаst аnd with аs muсhmеmоry аs yоu саn аffоrd. Аnything lеss thаn tоp pеrfоrmаnсе tоdаy, will bе unusаbly slоw in fоur yеаrs. Slоwеr lаptоps bесоmе оbsоlеtе lоng bеfоrе thеy wеаr оut оr brеаk.

#3 – Purсhаsе аn еxtеndеd wаrrаnty. If yоu'rе аlrеаdy spеnding $2k+ (yоu'rе nоt gоing tо gеt а rеаlly fаst соmputеr with big mеmоry fоr muсh lеss), thеn а соuplе hundrеd $$ fоr а wаrrаnty isWОRTH IT whеn yоur lаptоp diеs аnd yоu'rе in thе middlе оf а sеmеstеr with prоjесts duе.

#4 – Stаy with mаinstrеаm brаnds. Thеy'rе thе biggеst sеllеrs fоr а rеаsоn.

Benoit W, Apr 9, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  2. Benoit W

spence88

Thanks for the tips. They are indeed practical. The quality of laptops today have gone a long way since then, that you can buy any mid-range laptops from popular brands without having to fear it's obsolescence for a good several years.

While I agree with your points, I do want to point out that they cannot be applied to a gaming laptop. In fact, the question itself is not appropriate if one is looking for gaming laptops. Even buying the flagship model of popular manufacturers today can only give a good 3-4 years before it becomes completely obsoleted by new games. It will, of course, still function and be useable as a laptop, but not as a gaming laptop. But yeah, great suggestions nonetheless! :)

spence88, Apr 9, 2016
  3. Benoit W

Sefie

I went for a Toshiba laptop twice and had great results. My first laptop is 8 years old already, a Toshiba Satellite. It still works, but I had to get a new one because the fan broke and it was overheating when I played a game on it. The newest one is going to be 2 years soon. I expect it to be with me for at least other 4 years.

Sefie, Apr 10, 2016
  4. Benoit W

ask4carl

My old 2010 Compac died in February and I needed a laptop badly. I went to BestBuy and was able to purchase an "open box" Lenovo Ideapad 500 for about $360. I can tell you honestly and with no hype that for the money, it's one of the absolute best laptops on the market right now. The specs are: 8G RAM, 1Tb HDD, DVDRW, 15.6" FHD LED, 4 Cell battery, Windows 10 Home Edition, AMD A10 Sixth Generation Processor. I stream a lot of sports I can't get on cable and my streams never buffer. I also download a lot of PDFs and spreadsheets for work. This is a great laptop and the good price knocks it out of the park. You can usually get an open box (customer took it home, brought it back, did not break the factory seal) if you work the salesperson. Even at full price, which is considerably more, it's a great value. Trust me.

ask4carl, Apr 15, 2016
  5. Benoit W

spence88

Welcome to the forums. Thanks for sharing your experience. That indeed seems to be a great buy! The laptop can definitely handle anything you throw at it aside from graphic intensive games.
    I mean, the specs is about on par with my gaming laptop except for the GPU, and it costs only $360?! You definitely got a winner there. Very nice find. Congrats on the purchase. ;)

spence88, Apr 16, 2016
  6. Benoit W

Corzhens

I think any original brand new laptop will surely last for 4 years unless you got a lemon. I have an HP now and I'd say it's good but my husband is looking at some other brands for his prospect to replace our old desktop at home. The Dell looks good but it is very expensive and I don't think it is wise to buy such an expensive laptop for home use. I can settle for a cheaper brand that comes with a good warranty period.

Corzhens, Apr 18, 2016
  7. Benoit W

IcyBC

My second HP laptop was a lemon for sure, @Corzhens ! It is in useless stage after only 2 years! I believe though, they don't build anything to last anymore. My older HP laptop lasted me 7 years!

IcyBC, Apr 18, 2016
  8. Benoit W

SirJoe

I think the most important thing is to know what you are going to do with it. If it's just to browse the net and write a few things on word pad you don't need such a expensive and powerful computer as you would say you were rendering something with a 3D program. I think when ever you buy a laptop you see it's virtues and it's short falls so having some experience can really be a help.

SirJoe, Apr 18, 2016
  9. Benoit W

OursIsTheFury

I, too, would like to know the answer to this one. Any recommendation would be of great help. I'm planning on backpacking through Europe and bringing a laptop with me, I don't want it breaking halfway through. I also don't like change, and I'm very sentimental when it comes to things I have bought with my own money.

OursIsTheFury, Apr 25, 2016
  10. Benoit W

sparkster

Well, I've just bought a Lenovo G50 with Core i3 CPU, 4GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics, etc. It was the first time I've ever bought a brand new computer and I certainly hope it will last a lot longer than four years, given than the last laptop I had I used for five years after it was already five years old, effectively meaning it lasted for ten years. It was well outdated by that time though, of course.

sparkster, May 1, 2016
Ask a Question