Whiсh lарtор tо buy: whаt mаnufасturеrs tо соnsidеr

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by Benoit W, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Benoit W

Benoit W

Whiсh lарtор tо buy: whаt mаnufасturеrs tо соnsidеr

Lарtорs аrе соmрlеx аnd еxреnsivе mасhinеs. Things gо wrоng аll thе timе, аnd yоu wаnt tо knоw thаt if yоur lарtор brеаks yоu will bе аblе tо tаkе it bасk tо thе mаnufасturеr аnd gеt it fixеd. Sо I wоuld аlwаys еrr tоwаrd а mаnufасturеr with histоry аnd а gооd rерutаtiоn. Thеrе аrе grеаt dеаls tо bе hаd оnlinе, but thеrе's nоthing wrоng with а рhysiсаl stоrе intо whiсh yоu саn wаlk with yоur lарtор if yоu nееd hеlр.

Сhесk оut thе rерutаtiоn оf yоur сhоsеn mаnufасturеr, аlthоugh dо bеаr in mind thаt аll соmрutеr mаkеrs turn оut thе оссаsiоnаl lеmоn аnd сustоmеrs tеnd nоt tо роst оnlinе with stоriеs оf а gооd РС dеlivеrеd оn timе. Аnd rеmеmbеr, if sоmеthing lооks tоо gооd tо bе truе it рrоbаbly is.

What do you think about it?

Benoit W, Mar 14, 2016
  2. Benoit W

ForeverANewbie

This is good advice. I would add that asking for the advice of an expert is also a good idea (an actual computer expert, not the salesman at the store). They should know which laptops break down easily and which ones are the most stable.

ForeverANewbie, Mar 16, 2016
  3. Benoit W

vinaya

Most of the laptops available in my home country are Chinese made. Even the popular American brands such as Dell and HP are Chinese made (manufactured in China under collaboration). Chinese manufactured laptops are not bad but in comparison to American manufactured, they do not perform well. So, I always look for Korean or Japanese made, because they are genuine.

vinaya, Mar 18, 2016
  4. Benoit W

spence88

I agree. Since laptops are harder to build than desktops by yourself, almost everyone will just buy finished units from a manufacturer. That said, the manufacturer's reputation is of essential importance when buying one.

Good point. The thing is, when people hear a single bad story about a brand, they immediately put the brand in their banned list. That should not be so. These laptop manufacturers don't create all the components themselves. They also buy some components from other manufacturers as well. For example, the CPU. A laptop manufacturer like ASUS can't create these CPUs. They buy it from Intel or AMD, the two major manufacturers of CPUs. Same goes with GPUs and memory. So, these laptops don't really differ much, as far as internal components are concerned, except maybe for the motherboards which they can manufacture themselves. What I'm trying to say is that if a laptop malfunctions, we can't blame it all on the laptop manufacturer. If it's the CPU that causes the problem, then Intel or AMD could be the one to blame. A laptop manufacturer can do their best in building the perfect unit, but there are things that are out of their control. These are just my two cents. I hope I made sense.

spence88, Mar 23, 2016
  5. Benoit W

SirJoe

When I'm going to buy a laptop a research to exhaustion, I think you have to look at the computer that you are interested in and not focus on the manufacturer.

SirJoe, Mar 24, 2016
    spence88 likes this.
  6. Benoit W

IcyBC

So can you name few brands that you would recommend, and give us a chance to do some researches?

I liked HP laptop, had two but they both had overheating problem! Now, I won't even bother with it!

IcyBC, Apr 14, 2016
  7. Benoit W

spence88

Exactly. I think that should be the way to do it. Reading professional reviews from various technology sites can help you more than you think. They offer information that might be the deciding factor of your purchase. Don't get me wrong, asking / posting on forums is not bad, after all, it's part of the research process! Forum members, like us, are here to make suggestions to help the user make better and more informed purchasing decisions, but it's still up to the user to decide which is best for him/her. :)

spence88, Apr 15, 2016
  8. Benoit W

SirJoe

Exactly, most sites that have reviews can compare the computers and their direct competitors. It's impossible to get that information in a store.

SirJoe, Apr 16, 2016
Ask a Question