When you switch from Windows to OSX, or vice versa

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by Vash, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Vash

Vash

For the people who have switched from Windows based computers to OSX based (Macbook), was it a smooth transaction? What problems have you encountered? What experience would you like to share? Were you pleased with the switch or not?

Same goes for those long time Mac users. Was the switch a good or bad experience for you? And why?

Although I use an iPhone, I am a long time windows user when it comes to computers. While I have no plan to switch to OSX, I am just wondering what kind of experience I might encounter if I were to switch. :D Actually before I bought my Surface Pro 4 in last October, I had a slight thought of getting a Macbook. It was not long before decided not to since most of my program expertise are for Windows based platform.

Vash, Jun 3, 2016
  2. Vash

fcuco

It really depends, mos people these days only use a computer to basically boot it and then launch a web browser, so, if all that you are going to do is basically enter OSX and launch Safari (or chrome, you are better off using Chrome) then there is barely any transition. The most difficult part for me when I went Mac were the hot keys and key combinations, for example, taking a screen shot on Windows is easy, on the Mac, not so much, it is more powerful but it involves a weird key combination. Everything else is mostly the same and a quick google search allows you to learn new stuff, for instance, how to connect to a shared drive, as you go. If you switch to OSX get yourself a mouse with a right click!

fcuco, Jun 15, 2016
  3. Vash

Vash

Are you saying it is possible to use a two-button mouse on a Mac? If that is the case, is there any difference at all when using a two-button mouse on a Mac compare to use it on a Windows PC?

The most software I use are fairly simple I'd say. Office and browsers, plus a little WinSCP. Maybe a note here and there, plus light gaming on occasions. If somehow I am going to use more complex software, it would be photoshop which I have element 14 installed.

Yes, I'd say most people only use very limited number of software on their computers. It is not like everyone is trying different software all the time. So I guess it won't be too hard to adapt consider the number of software for daily use can be counted with both hands.

Vash, Jun 16, 2016
  4. Vash

Fuzyon

I've been using Windows computers my whole life but last year I switched to a Mac because I needed some OSX features for my software, I was pleasantly surprised with the OS. It's not that easy to grasp and has that linux-type of feel that's great for programmers, I didn't want to make the switch fully because I wasn't sure I would've gotten that much use out of it, at work we only use Windows computers.

Fuzyon, Jun 16, 2016
Ask a Question