What's wrong with my laptop screen

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by IndieFilmmaker_2003, Mar 14, 2016.

1. IndieFilmmaker_2003

IndieFilmmaker_2003

There is some little strips covering the bottom of my laptop screen. This has bought some shit to me..
    Anyway to fix it? Is it the problem of the screen of the interior of laptop?

Attached Files:

IndieFilmmaker_2003, Mar 14, 2016
  2. IndieFilmmaker_2003

Lun

I encountered this kind of screen damage in two of my laptops so far. In both, it was irreparable and had to replace the whole screen to fix it. However this could also occur from damage to the interior screen cable I think. Does it move, change, or disappear when you move the screen lid or press on some parts of it?

Lun, Mar 14, 2016
  3. IndieFilmmaker_2003

IndieFilmmaker_2003

It will reduce a bit when I apply pressure onto the screen..
    A bit, not much.

IndieFilmmaker_2003, Mar 14, 2016
  4. IndieFilmmaker_2003

djtech

Replace the screen as soon as you can. It happens when extra pressure gets applied to the screen for any reason. And there is not fix to it. It reduces a bit because there're liquid crystals in it, hence the term lcd. Anyways, if you can't afford a new one or don't want to pay a ton of money, you can always buy a used screen which will save you money and help you fix this problem. Check out Amazon for used screens.

djtech, Mar 14, 2016
  5. IndieFilmmaker_2003

Personablue

That's a internal problem, it can't be fixed by any software. You will need professional help here from computer mechanics. Mostly, it happens when pressure is applied on the laptop for extended duration. If you are lucky, you can get away without a complete screen replacement. You should hurry without delay , take this to the service center.

Personablue, Mar 14, 2016
  6. IndieFilmmaker_2003

IcyBC

Not sure what country you are in but you could also check out Craiglist. Some times, you can find one for really reasonable priced, and could even be free. My sister just got a bunch of office furniture and a desktop for free from a close down business.

You need to use your common sense when dealing with people on Craigslist, trust your instinct, and be on high alert about safety. Other than this, Craiglist is also a great place to find affordable things.

IcyBC, Mar 14, 2016
  7. IndieFilmmaker_2003

Jonah_JJ

I agree, keep an eye out on craigslist - as IcyBC says: a business closing down just needs to get rid of stuff and they are looking to donate or give as fast as possible just to get the inventory out of the way. I've gotten some great items from these types of situations as well though, I admit, nothing as great as a computer or parts for one. But I think that's just timing (I wasn't in the market for one when they became available etc). Ironically, I would trust the "free" rather than the people selling things - if someone isn't out to make a buck they're less likely to scam you.

Jonah_JJ, Mar 14, 2016
  8. IndieFilmmaker_2003

djtech

Yeah. You can also buy a broken laptop. People usually sell them for parts, and you can too, as soon as you get the screen out of the laptop.

djtech, Mar 15, 2016
  9. IndieFilmmaker_2003

acer93

I used have this with an older monitor of mine. Sadly the service shop I took it said that I should buy a new one. It was a hardware problem in my case, but you should check it out maybe this is not the case at your's.

acer93, Mar 16, 2016
  10. IndieFilmmaker_2003

Personablue

This is most likely a hardware problem. No software problem is capable of causing problems like this. Like some users have said, you can also try Craigslist, they sell many individual parts like screen replacement etc.
    If you have a GPU, you should also double check your drivers and test the function of the gpu

Personablue, Mar 16, 2016
  11. IndieFilmmaker_2003

spence88

Yikes, that would definitely make me worry if I see my screen behaving like that. How did this happen? Did you drop it or did you drop something to it? What's the status of this? Have you fixed it yet? I agree that this is a hardware problem, but I'm wondering what causes it so I can avoid it in the future.

spence88, Mar 30, 2016
  12. IndieFilmmaker_2003

fcuco

Yep, definitely a hardware problem. Do the following test: connect your laptop to a regular monitor, if you see the same exact behavior then there is a small chance for it to be software related so maybe go hunting for your display drivers or something. You actual monitor could be working perfectly and the problem could be on the connection of the monitor to the motherboard of your laptop. You will have to either service this laptop or sell it like that, get at least a quotation for a price to have it repaired before you sell it broken because maybe you could repair it for low and get a little back once you sell it in good condition.

fcuco, Apr 7, 2016
  13. IndieFilmmaker_2003

Corzhens

I think that is similar to the problem of our home computer's screen. Although it is not a laptop, the horizontal line indicates a hardware problem. After the 1st horizontal line, another came after a month so now there are 2 horizontal lines on our screen. We are thinking of buying a replacement because when I consulted the tech in the office, he said there is no other solution but to replace the monitor.

Corzhens, Apr 8, 2016
  14. IndieFilmmaker_2003

OursIsTheFury

The problem with computers in general - if anything breaks, you have to replace them. There's no going around it, there are no shortcuts or first aid treatments. When a part breaks, you have to get it fixed by an expert at the field. Right now, I think your monitor might be broken, probably because of a blunt force that struck your laptop. I don't think there are programs you can install to fix it, if that's what you are asking. It is a hardware problem, and with those, the only final solution is to spend on a brand new part.

OursIsTheFury, May 7, 2016
  15. IndieFilmmaker_2003

acheno84

I had this same thing happen to 2 of mine and they both currently sit on a shelf in my closet. The strips started out small, and then took out the whole screen eventually. I just have no idea how to replace the screen on my own and since I just don't trust myself with technology, I feel I need to either A, bring my laptops to a place to have them fixed, or B, hook up a standard desktop monitor and use it that way to at least save the info that's on there and sell em for parts.

acheno84, May 11, 2016
  16. IndieFilmmaker_2003

Sworden

This is almost definitely a hardware problem, though I would check and confirm. You can do this by opening the laptop and keeping a close eye on it, do these lines also appear when the laptop first opens? Meaning the black screen with all the text, and also where the windows logo is. If so, then it is indeed a hardware problem.

In terms of whats wrong exactly, I know of three possible causes. One, is that the wire itself is loose, though this one is unlikely as if this was the case, chances are the entire screen would be affected.

The other is that the inverter (a small rectangular prism directly beneath the screen) is damaged. This is easier to replace than the entire screen and should also cost less. Theres also a chance that your specific model's screen doesn't even have an inverter. The chance of this being the problem is some-what high though, as I've had it happen to me before.

The last option is that the entire screen has gone bad and needs to be replaced. To be honest, depending on your model and age of the laptop (older the better for the most part), replacing the screen really isn't hard.

If you're still wondering if you should fix it, could you post your laptop model?

Sworden, May 14, 2016
  17. IndieFilmmaker_2003

Brandon Cole

Yeah if it goes away when you press on your screen, then it's definitely the screen itself. YouTube typically has tutorials on how to fix the screen based on your specific computer model (or one similar to it). It's fairly easy to do. I've fixed quite a few myself and I'm not very tech savy. I've bought most of mine through amazon and they were all shipped very safely. No problems installing. Let me know what you do!

Brandon Cole, May 27, 2016
Ask a Question