What's removing /var/lock/subsys on each reboot?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by bolero, Feb 21, 2009.

1. bolero

bolero

I noticed on the original Linpus that many services don't start (sshd, ntpd, rsyslog), there's not even logging. The reason is that /var/lock/subsys seems to get removed on each reboot and only sometimes recreated. Anybody knows more about this and how to stop that?

bolero, Feb 21, 2009
  2. bolero

bruce

i'm not sure what you are trying to do, but you could try adding your desired command to /etc/rc.local? should run after rc.sysinit i think... also you could look into adding your service into a run level (ie. adding it to /etc/init.d then symlinking to it in /etc/rc{0,1,2,3,4,5,6}.d where appropriate}

logging isn't enabled because it isn't good for ssds (lots of writing) and also i guess cause not many "normal" users really need logging...

hope this helped :)

bruce, Feb 23, 2009
  3. bolero

bolero

I was simply switching on sshd ntpd and rsyslog (not sure if I had to switch rsyslog on, I think that was on by default but not starting up). I have the 160 Gb variant, so there's no problem with logging. I wanted to switch it on in the first place to see why sshd doesn't start by its own. But if rsyslog itself doesn't start by its own then that is moot ... I see that /var/lock/subsys sometimes exists and sometimes not. On shutdown there are a lot of removals of /var/lock/subsys/$whatever. I assume that one of the scripts has a bug and sometimes the $whatever is empty in it. But even if /var/lock/subsys is present these services don't start automatically, although they should according to chkconfig settings. That Linpus Linux must have been crippled in this area as well, so that some Sys V Init stuff doesn't work correctly.
    Now that my USB stick boots I installed Fedora 10 yesterday, what a relief! It works out of the box even without the tweaks explained on http://jorge.fbarr.net/2008/11/10/fedor ... spire-one/

bolero, Feb 23, 2009
Ask a Question