whats everyone using for external DVD drive?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by geep, Oct 25, 2008.

1. geep

geep

I am looking for a small external USB DVD burner with LightScribe....is there such a thing?
    Whats the rest of world using for DVD burners with the AAO? I am running stock Limpus

geep, Oct 25, 2008
  2. geep

melhiore

I'm using external 5.25" HDD/CD enclosure with separate PSU. It's usable only at home but that's enough for me - I do not believe DVD writer powered off USB will be OK for USB's and battery - I prefer my solution...

melhiore, Oct 25, 2008
  3. geep

goofball

Except for the fact that it must use less than 2.5w (if powered by only 1 USB port) so it's not exactly power hungry.

Look up the Lacie slim external (Sam Hecht) model. It runs solely off 1 USB port and has lightscribe.

I went with an external enclosure from tiger111hk.com ($11 USD) and put in my own slim PATA drive but you can go the fully integrated route above if you prefer. Either solution runs off 1 USB port and works great.

goofball, Oct 25, 2008
  4. geep

kostasR1

Iam using the slim LG GP08NU powered by 2 usb ports.

kostasR1, Oct 26, 2008
  5. geep

penandpaper

i am using sony ultraslim

penandpaper, Oct 26, 2008
  6. geep

Andysan

Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive rocks my socks - works flawlessly with my One for booting Live distros.

Andysan, Oct 26, 2008
  7. geep

JeffJ

JeffJ, Oct 26, 2008
  8. geep

GvidoR

I am using external LG 3.5" DVD Drive with a lightscribe function, but unfortunately it has to plugged in to the mains. I am hoping to get the small DVD drive which powers only from a USB port. ;)

GvidoR, Oct 28, 2008
  9. geep

goofball

goofball, Oct 29, 2008
  10. geep

Guest Guest

I ordered a Lite-ON slim because I heard it could be USB powered...but it can't. Its getting returned and I'm ordering an LG GSA-E50L to replace it. Its small, looks good, lightscribe, and USB powered.

Guest, Nov 1, 2008
  11. geep

Modred189

Modred189, Nov 3, 2008
  12. geep

Daball

I'm using an LG 20X super multi external drive. Works like a charm. Picked it up at Future Shop for $59.95 Cad.

Daball, Nov 4, 2008
  13. geep

Forone

My LG E6OL DVD-RW is hooked to my main laptop via USB and the same power bar as the DSL wireless router, which is on 24/7.

I can reconnect the DVD-RW to the AA1 via USB jack or access it wirelessly over the home network (Win XP network was easy to set up.) I've been thrilled to find I can watch DVDs and home mpeg movies perfectly and read and write data files to a data disk on the AA1 in a different room from the drive, over the wireless connection. The only inconvenience is that the main laptop has to be running for the network to be active, so the DVD-RW and other peripherals like external HDD and printer will work.

If anyone knows of some inexpensive equipment to run the external DVD-RW and other peripherals through the DSL router without the main PC running, I'd be very interested.

Forone, Nov 6, 2008
  14. geep

robandjeanne

Do movies play smoothly through all external USB drives? I would have thought the USB throughput might not be fast enough.

robandjeanne, Nov 7, 2008
  15. geep

Forone

A somewhat vague question given today's possibilities: "movies" can be standard or HD DVD. "USB" can be old USB 1.1 (around 12 mb/sec) or current USB 2.0 (around 400 mb/sec, faster than standard 100 mb/sec ethernet.) Wireless at 54 mb/sec runs standard DVD on this Acer quite smoothly, when external DVD is connected through USB 2 to a "server" PC and then out through a wireless router. I have no experience with hi def in such a setup.

Forone, Nov 7, 2008
  16. geep

ZaphodBebop

Has anyone had luck with the air book's super drive? It looks nice but it says Mac Book Air only.

ZaphodBebop, Nov 8, 2008
  17. geep

Tamrac

I'm using a Lenovo USB 2.0 Super Multi-Burner.... it's thin, no AC adapter needed(although it includes one if needed). Cool rubberized matte black finish, super thin. :D

Tamrac, Nov 8, 2008
  18. geep

gghines

i am using a LG UL10 DVD RW drive, powered by 2 USBs with lightscribe. works perfectly well, considering that its only x 8 speed. it has a colour to match my ACER AAO too ;)

gghines, Nov 9, 2008
  19. geep

clc4912

I have to agree with you on this as well. I use a slimline Sony DVD RW that has a seperate psu. As I use this machine only for its portability, there has yet to be a time when I needed a portable optical drive that could not wait until I returned home. I think the dual USB connection would just be one more thing to draw power from the battery. At least for my needs that is.

clc4912, Nov 9, 2008
  20. geep

mejim

LG 8x Slim Portable External Super Multi DVD Writer

Anyone knows how to burn/copy stuff onto the optical drive? Read OK, write problem?

Linpus version of ONE. Any software? Driver? Supplied CD are softwares for Windows.

mejim, Nov 13, 2008
Ask a Question