What zif/lif cable ? for 1.8 Toshiba HDD

Discussion in 'Storage' started by whiterabit, Mar 23, 2009.

1. whiterabit

whiterabit

whiterabit, Mar 23, 2009
  2. whiterabit

ronime

Those look like the right cables. The white end is the thinnest and should be inserted into the Toshiba HDD. Note that the cable does not insert very far into the LIF connector on the Toshiba, no more than 2mm.

ronime, Mar 23, 2009
  3. whiterabit

whiterabit

Thank you for the anwser, will try once more ... :cry:

whiterabit, Mar 28, 2009
  4. whiterabit

hairudon

ive been having trouble with the same harddrive, the cable will go in 1-2mm and then when i try to power on the AAO the furthest right LED flashes orange. plug in the SSD, and it turns right on, what could the problem be?

hairudon, Apr 20, 2009
  5. whiterabit

TantalusFld

Look very closely at the ribbon cable. You may have one of the trace conductors bent over and touching the trace next to it causing a short circuit. If you find this you might be able to push it back, but I ended cutting a small amount off the end of the cable and it was still long enough to reach inside the hdd connector. Worked fine after that.

TantalusFld, Apr 20, 2009
  6. whiterabit

ezdealz

I used the stock cable I removed the ferrite (slodes right off) then I did the following modification. On the non-conductor side of the zif cable (hard drive end) there is a thick blue plastic re-inforcement. I used a fingernail file on the BLUE side and lightly sanded it to decrease the thickness. I was then able to insert the zif cable into the Toshiba ZIF connector. I hope this helps someone. I did notice that the switch from the 8GB SSD to 1.8 Toshiba hard drive increased the performance like going from night to day! A110-1588 / Windows XP.

ezdealz, Apr 29, 2009
Ask a Question