What windows version are you running?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by SirJoe, Feb 28, 2016.

1. SirJoe

sparkster

I have myself a brand new up to date version of Windows 10 installed on my brand new shiny Lenovo laptop. I've kept it up to date since I've had it, which is only about just over two months, and I'm very happy with it. I've gone through all the settings, as I noticed that most things (like sync, etc) were turned on by default so I've customized everything and this has extended my battery life on my laptop and it allows me to run things the way I want to run them which I like. Haven't really had any issues with it all and I must say, I'm really liking it. Certainly a lot better than Android which drives me nuts.

sparkster, Jun 13, 2016
  2. SirJoe

cluckeyo

I am running Vista with a great interest in changing to Windows7. I could upgrade from there, to 10. But we have 10 on the desktop and are not impressed. Planning to roll back to 7. Excited about my new option to go from Vista to 7, because I only had one more install of MS Office. But now that Google has allowed me to move my entire Office to Google Drive, there is nothing standing in my way for switching to Windows 7.

cluckeyo, Jun 19, 2016
  3. SirJoe

UpgradeMe

Windows 7 was the last windows I used, still have it on this laptop but I pretty much just boot with linux mint at this point. I did not upgrade to 10 because I don't like it ;)

UpgradeMe, Jun 20, 2016
  4. SirJoe

cecejailer

I'm using Windows 10 and honestly, I love it. I don't know what the fuss is all about, it's way better than Windows 8, which was the worst version Windows has ever put out in my opinion. It still has a long way to go but it's not as bad as people make it out to be... You just have to get used to it.

cecejailer, Jun 28, 2016
  5. SirJoe

nytegeek

The assumption that we all have Windows as our primary OS is amusing. When I use Windows it is Windows 10, but that isn't my primary OS.

nytegeek, Jul 1, 2016
  6. SirJoe

SirJoe

If you have the opportunity of doing so, go for it. Windows vista is considered by many as the worst OS ever made by Microsoft. I wouldn't go that far I would say that the worst would be windows me then vista.

SirJoe, Jul 1, 2016
  7. SirJoe

nytegeek

Windows 2 was pretty horrible, but I doubt many people here ever ran it :p I have to agree that Vista was pretty bad. I tested it when it was code-named longhorn and it was just awful. I couldn't believe the left so many design flaws in it when they released it as Vista. It was almost like the good parts of longhorn were dumped in favor of the crappy ones.

nytegeek, Jul 4, 2016
  8. SirJoe

SirJoe

Windows Vista was bad but next too windows me it ran perfectly. It was so bad and resource hungry that they had to pull it off the market and launch a rebadged windows NT. Windows 2000 gave Microsoft enough time for them to create on of their better operating systems, windows XP.

SirJoe, Jul 4, 2016
  9. SirJoe

nytegeek

I never had an issue with ME, It always ran smoothly with no crashes or problems for me. It came on the only desktop computer had ever ever bought straight from the manufacturer. That might be why I had no hardware or driver issues, I installed it on an old laptop from the late 90s that I had laying around and it works perfectly,

nytegeek, Jul 4, 2016
  10. SirJoe

SirJoe

I can't say that I had the same experience with windows ME. It would stop for no reason and "think". I was glad when they launched windows 2000, it never gave me any issues. It was rock solid but i would be lying if I said that it was a good looking OS. It really wasn't kind on the eyes.

SirJoe, Jul 4, 2016
  11. SirJoe

IBMPC8088

I just had a root canal and honestly, I love it. I don't know what the fuss is all about, it's way better than taking care of your teeth daily, which is the worst thing people can do in my opinion. Teeth rotting out in pain still has a long way to go but it's not as bad as people make it out to be... You just have to get used to it.

The people who are oblivious to privacy issues, development issues, and never read the TOS to products will think it's all fine and dandy until it comes back to bite them. (No pun intended)

The only version of windows I'm willing to use is anything from 7 or lower in a box, and never on a real machine.

Even though Windows 7 is safer than 10 with (fewer) intrusions and backdoors, and a TOS that doesn't try to rape you daily or at 3am to downgrade your current system to what it is, I still prefer to virtualize XP or Windows 2000.

Win2k actually was a little lighter on resources and worked fine for the majority of XP and NT programs (especially in a vm) if you didn't need built-in wireless and other things you could always add when you needed them. It ran some things faster without that overhead, too.

The only use I have for a Windows 10 disc is to use it as a coaster or light it on fire.

IBMPC8088, Jul 4, 2016
  12. SirJoe

rootle

I'm running Windows 10. My favourite version was Windows 7. The aesthetic and functionality of 7 was way better in my opinion. Although I'm certain Windows 10 has technical advantages I'm unaware of, I wish they'd made it look like Windows 7. The Windows 7 layout was perfect in my opinion and needn't have been altered.

rootle, Jul 4, 2016
  13. SirJoe

nytegeek

They never released a Windows 2000 for home users. Windows 2000 was a replacement for Windows NT and was designed to connect to a server in a work environment. There was Windows 2000 Professional (client version), Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Windows 2000 Server, and Windows 2000 Datacenter Server. It was not an upgade to ME and there was no direct upgrade path. Windows XP was the first available upgrade to Windows ME

nytegeek, Jul 5, 2016
  14. SirJoe

SirJoe

There was a windows 2000 home edition. It wasn't around for very long before windows XP was launched. It wasn't meant to be an upgrade on windows ME but an answer to the complaints that existed at the time. You are right when windows 2000 was launched it's main focus was business.

[​IMG]

SirJoe, Jul 10, 2016
  15. SirJoe

nytegeek

Here is the deal, there were some folks that modified Pro to behave like a home edition and to display like it did in the pic you inserted, but Microsoft never made or released a home version of Windows 2000. For home users the next available release after ME was XP. ME was the answer to complaints at the time regarding Windows 98, but it wasn't a very good answer apparently.

So what I'm trying to explain to you is that the only "Home" edition was a custom project not sanctioned by Microsoft.

nytegeek, Jul 10, 2016
  16. SirJoe

SirJoe

The version that I had was bought under a student license directly from Microsoft. Come to think of it I don't remember seeing computers with windows 2000 per-installed, when you bought a new computer. So what you say does make sense. I guess there were people that were using windows 2000 instead of ME for their personal computing, me included.:)
    All I can say is that windows 2000 was bulletproof and could really take a pounding.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    SirJoe, Jul 10, 2016
  17. SirJoe

bangtanboys

I'm running Windows 7 on both my laptop and PC, and I don't think I'd ever make the upgrade to 10 tbh.

bangtanboys, Jul 28, 2016
  18. SirJoe

Kavon

I'm using Windows 8.0. I know that there was an option to upgrade to Windows 10 but I didn't use it. I'm always careful about these major updates because Microsoft might have made some changes that I might not like. Some people have also been talking about sluggish performance with Windows 10, and also some incompatibility issues. The only time I would upgrade to Windows 10 is when I buy a new laptop.

Kavon, Aug 12, 2016
  19. SirJoe

cluckeyo

I am now running Windows 10 on 3 machines and Chrome on one. I am really becoming accustomed to Windows 10 and I like it very well. Everything is running very smoothly on the 2 laptops and one desktop. I have not had much of a chance to play with the Chromebox yet. That should start next week. I am very anxious to give a good try.

cluckeyo, Aug 12, 2016
  20. SirJoe

AntonioCalcano

I am running Windows 10 x64 and it's been doing just great, at first I was skeptical since most new Windows versions come defective but Windows 10 has been great since day one, it's had some minor issues but nothing too serious, it's a really well optimized OS.

AntonioCalcano, Oct 5, 2016
Ask a Question