What was the reason you bought a laptop instead of just a PC?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by OursIsTheFury, May 4, 2016.

1. OursIsTheFury

rootle

Well I'm a student for one thing and I need to be able to have a computer that I can move around campus. Also, I travel around quite a lot. I've been to 5 different countries and I've used my laptop in most of them.

rootle, Jul 4, 2016
  2. OursIsTheFury

Fuzyon

Portability was one of my top priorities. I'm a person who likes to travel and now that I can work remotely it felt like the natural option to go with a laptop, it can play games too which is a nice bonus. :p My second reason is that I wanted to work from my bed or couch so a desktop wouldn't have helped me much.

Fuzyon, Jul 4, 2016
  3. OursIsTheFury

HyperActive

Well, fortunately I never had to purchase my laptop as it was a Christmas gift given to me. However, I did ask for it. I love laptops because of the mobility they provide. I can use my laptop in bed, on the couch, in the kitchen, at school, and even in the car. With a laptop, although it's faster and more stable, limits your position to one room.

HyperActive, Jul 5, 2016
  4. OursIsTheFury

amonda

I found it important to own a laptop from the days I was just entering sixth form in high school. We had around six computer labs at school but I needed to be able to access information wherever I wanted to on campus. The fact that you can pick up a laptop and carry it wherever you go is a big plus.

amonda, Jul 5, 2016
  5. OursIsTheFury

hades_leae

Portability for me as well, I agree with lots of others who said the same thing. I just love being able to take it anywhere with me, it's like a mobile phone, who doesn't want to be able to travel and do the same things on a PC that they would have to be home for on their desktop.

I'm a web developer, so I'm sitting in front of the computer for many hours at a time, I don't want the same scenery everyday, it gets boring pretty quick.

hades_leae, Jul 7, 2016
  6. OursIsTheFury

artyarson

It's pretty simple. PC is a huge thing, in terms of size. I can't grab it and take it out. A laptop is not as big as an average desktop is. Also, a laptop produces less unwanted noise. So, that's it.

artyarson, Jul 7, 2016
  7. OursIsTheFury

kimmy178

For me, I prefer going on my laptop on the bed instead of at a desk. I just like how with a laptop, you can bring it anywhere but the computer has to stay in one place. When I watch a show or movie on my laptop, I like being able to lean back against a pillow and just be comfortable. I've used both a pc and a laptop but with the pc, it always stayed in one place. So I guess it really is just the mobility with the laptop that makes it more preferable to a pc.

kimmy178, Jul 13, 2016
  8. OursIsTheFury

cecejailer

Mobility, mostly, but also because I'm just too used to laptops, I think they're easier to control and I don't like being far from the screen. I have had PCs before and even though I liked them, laptops were game changing for me. I think the future PC brands will adapt to laptops, making PCs a little more easier and more personal (yes, I think laptops are way more personal, you don't have to remind me of the fact that "PC" means "personal computer" XD)

cecejailer, Jul 13, 2016
  9. OursIsTheFury

nytegeek

Mobility and space savings. Also it is easy to do things that would have been more difficult with my desktop, like plug it into my 64 inch flat panel HD TV and use my wireless keyboard/mouse setup from the couch for a game or video.

nytegeek, Jul 16, 2016
  10. OursIsTheFury

Corzhens

You certainly need a laptop for portability since a student is always on the go whether it is for school or personal activities. And as you said you are traveling a lot then there's no question with the laptop. However, you just need to take care of your laptop so it will last longer. Lack of care will result in simple issues like faulty keyboard. Worse, it can give you a headache with a broken hard drive. I am saying this because I see what my niece is doing to her notebook, sometimes it falls on the floor due to negligence.

Corzhens, Jul 16, 2016
  11. OursIsTheFury

rootle

Yeah I'm fairly paranoid about my laptop to be honest. I go a lot of flights and every time I start using it right afterwards I feel a sense of relief because I keep getting this nagging feeling that something may have gone wrong with it. I used to keep my bag in my checked in baggage and I realised that this wasn't a good idea at all. So now I keep it with me at all times.

rootle, Jul 19, 2016
    Corzhens likes this.
  12. OursIsTheFury

Oakat

For my power needs, a laptop is fine. I could find a much more powerful desktop in the same price range, but I can't take that with me anywhere. I also live in an older house without central air conditioning, so a big desktop can really create a sauna.

Oakat, Jul 19, 2016
  13. OursIsTheFury

acerme2

I chose a laptop for portability. I can take it anywhere and work anywhere with it. It can be very uncomfortable if I had to work for long hours on my desk if I had to use a desktop. In addition, I get to save on electricity when I'm using my laptop. We actually have a desktop at home and my brother's using it for gaming.

acerme2, Aug 3, 2016
  14. OursIsTheFury

MVLaHearse

For me, it's more convenient. I can carry it around my house or anywhere else I need to go. I opted for one with a CD/DVD drive with all the bells and whistles so I could have what my desktop PC has. I also noticed my kids don't mess with it as much as my other computers so that's a plus. What I really like is being able to hook it up to my television and projector easily.

MVLaHearse, Aug 3, 2016
  15. OursIsTheFury

Elektron

I basically bought my Laptop when I already owned a PC because I was considering the fact of that I had to travel a lot and I could not really move my desktop anywhere, so I decided to acquire a Laptop so I could go anywhere with it. I personally think that Laptops are especially for those people who do not really like gaming not either using them for heavy stuff, they're mostly for those people who are way more into working and tasks, that's why I have a PC and a laptop as well.

Elektron, Aug 6, 2016
Ask a Question